• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

A couple noob questions for a beginner

Hey all, I am new to oscommerce and am hoping to get a couple questions answered.

First Off. After installing the my site.... I noticed the browser title and my bottom copyright notice still appear as the template does. I attempted to edit the index.php file at the <title> line. However, when I did so... the main php file brought up an error message with something about header.php and configure.php. I am wondering where I change the TitleBar of the browser window to my store name.

Second. This may be a ridiculous question, but it seems as if there is no protection for my admin control panel within oscommerce. How do I go about protecting it? I tried to password protect the directory of my shop from my host control panel, however only the main /shop folder appeared. If I password protect that, my site will not pull up. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help

You change the title in includes/languages/english.php. To actually be of any use, other than appearance, you need to install a meta tags contribution like Header Tags. That will allow you to change the title on each page as well as the meta tags.

You need to add the protection for the admin section since it is not included with the package. If your host has that option, as you indicate, then you are probably not using it correctly. You may want to contact your host and ask them to explain it to you.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack, thank you for replying to my post. I really do appreciate it. I am not quite sure what you meant by the meta tags contribution header tags. If you could elaborate on that a little further, I would greatly appreciate it. If it helps... I am using Macromedia Studio 8 and Photoshop CS2. Again, I thank you for your insight.

Jack, thank you for replying to my post. I really do appreciate it. I am not quite sure what you meant by the meta tags contribution header tags. If you could elaborate on that a little further, I would greatly appreciate it. If it helps... I am using Macromedia Studio 8 and Photoshop CS2. Again, I thank you for your insight.

click here for the Header tags contributionHeader Tags

you may not have the full knowledge to install, but if you search the forums you will get it, Hope I have helped! There are many contributions you may want to look at and try also. Up above on the navigation bar click on the contributions tab under community. :thumbsup:

"I must admit that I personally measure success in terms of the contributions an individual makes to her or his fellow human beings."

---Margaret Mead---

"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer -- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.

--Ken Kesey"

The oscommerce package doesn't come with the ability to have different titles on each page or with meta tags. These are needed if you want to list well in the search engine pages.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived