• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I need to install oscommerce on my webspace, but not point the domain over until its finished...

garyeqm

Please help!

I need to install oscommerce on my reseller account to set up a shop. However I need to create the shop and show it to my potential client BEFORE they will transfer their domain as they have a very big online client base!

How can i do this? Oscommerce uses the full URL, is there any way round this?

Thank you

Gary

Please help!

I need to install oscommerce on my reseller account to set up a shop. However I need to create the shop and show it to my potential client BEFORE they will transfer their domain as they have a very big online client base!

Thank you

Gary

I am not quite sure I understand your question. Are you saying that you need to have the store completely configured on one site and once your client approves move it over to their domain? If so when you are ready its simply a matter of copying the files AND the database over to the production domain. Then of course you will need to make the required changes to the config.php file and you should be good to go. I've done the similiar thing several times.

Be well,

Tina

If you're not having fun you're not doing it right

Teach a person to fish rather than give them a loaf of bread or however that saying goes.

Basically....

The client already has a fully stocked, large ecommerce site but its not very good.

I have told him that I can create a MUCh nicer site. He says that if I can build it and show him, he will see what he thinks and then maybe replace his existing site with the new one.

So basically I need to create the site at my end,l show him and if he like it he can point his domain to my server.

But how? Oscommerce need to be installed on a domain that has a domain name attached to it.

help :(

Uhm How are you supposed to build a new 'nicer' website when you apperantly do not have the basic osCommerce knowledge. You can build a OsCommerce shop local on your own pc or on any domain as long as you tell it where it is. I am redesigning my own shop and just added another folder and setup the shop from there. You can configure OsCommerce any way you like it.

Giovanna

Upload an index.html page to your webspace so that when anyone calls your URL this is what they see. You can mention the fact that the store is under construction or opening soon. The oscommerce store can then be hidden behind this page.

Thanks but thats a no go, their existing site has about 50 - 100 orders per day so it needs to remain live and kicking.

I cant believe oscommerce can be so complicated!

I cant touch their existing site and domain, but I need to build the store, there must be a way !?!?!

Thanks a lot

Gary

Please help!

Thank you

Gary

I'm having the same problem.

I Fantastico autoinstalled osCommerce cart using after signing up with BlueHost yesterday. My old webserver host is the primary account holder according to Network Solutions, so I can't point my domain to my new Bluehost server until I get access to the domain account or my old webhost does so.

The osCommerce cart wouldn't allow me to use my new Bluehost server's IP or anything else to create it except the domain that it is expected to be pointing to eventually... which is still pointing to my old host. I hope that's not too confusing.

I guess the question is... is there any way to set up the cart to point to an IP or something, rather than a domain?

Most hosts will provide you with a temporary address at which you can view your website before the domain is repointed - and then all you have to do is to edit the two configure.php files to the full domain name e.g.

http://servername.hostingcompany.com/yourdomain.com

Vger

The autoinstall didn't give me that option. :(

All I got was a dropdown box with the only choice being my domain name, which isn't being redirected yet. I can sort of make changes if I open up every link from the admin console in a new window and change my domain to my temp directory on my new host.. but that's a pain!

EDIT: Oh, I just re-read your post. I'll try looking in the config.php, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Gary,

Do you have a domain? If so, just set osC in a subdirectory, modify as needed for the store you are working on, then when you get it done, have him go look at it. If he approves, copy the whole thing over to his domain, upload the database and redo the configure.php

I need to install oscommerce on my reseller account to set up a shop
Is there an answer to my original question?

You can add any domain name (provided it does not already exist on that server) to your reseller account. You won't be able to access it via http://www.yourdomain.com, but you should be able to access it via a temporary pathway, such as:

http://servername.yourhosts.com/yourdomain.com

You can then set up osCommerce manually and access it at the temporary address, also using the temporary address in the osCommerce configure.php files.

If you don't have that sort of temporary access to a domain then you just have a rubbish reseller account - and we can't help you with that.

Vger

Archived