• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New to osCommerce

Hi,

I've recently launched our first online store using the Candypress shopping cart: >_< Big Mistake! I don't know if any of you have any experience of Candypress but I have really found it to be quite rickety and difficult to customise. The database presents significant problems: it is reasonably complicated in structure but, as far as I have been able to find, there is no documentation available at all and the support is responsive but not detailed at all.

Anyway, the main reason that I went with Candypress was that the database behind it is Microsoft Access. Access and I go back a long way and are the best of friends. Because of this I don't have any experience of any other databases including MySQL. I've looked at it and found it quite scary looking. Also my host will charge me extra for running MySQL databases.

For these reasons I wanted to ask you all if osCommerce can be teamed up with Microsoft Access without it being a major piece of work to get them talking.

Being able to properly understand the database structure to allow me to deal effectivly with tax and shipping issues is another important thing I am looking for in a cart? How do you find it in osCommerce?

Finally, how have you found osCommerce in terms of customising the look of your store? Have you found it to be a big programming headache or is it relitivly easy to get good results by using Dreamweaver?

Thankyou in advance for your comments,

Paul. :thumbsup:

Hi,

I've recently launched our first online store using the Candypress shopping cart: >_< Big Mistake! I don't know if any of you have any experience of Candypress but I have really found it to be quite rickety and difficult to customise. The database presents significant problems: it is reasonably complicated in structure but, as far as I have been able to find, there is no documentation available at all and the support is responsive but not detailed at all.

Anyway, the main reason that I went with Candypress was that the database behind it is Microsoft Access. Access and I go back a long way and are the best of friends. Because of this I don't have any experience of any other databases including MySQL. I've looked at it and found it quite scary looking. Also my host will charge me extra for running MySQL databases.

For these reasons I wanted to ask you all if osCommerce can be teamed up with Microsoft Access without it being a major piece of work to get them talking.

Being able to properly understand the database structure to allow me to deal effectivly with tax and shipping issues is another important thing I am looking for in a cart? How do you find it in osCommerce?

Finally, how have you found osCommerce in terms of customising the look of your store? Have you found it to be a big programming headache or is it relitivly easy to get good results by using Dreamweaver?

Thankyou in advance for your comments,

Paul. :thumbsup:

You can do pretty much anything you are asking for with OsCommerce. Sometimes it takes some time to figure it out sometimes it's very easy. You can change the looks fairly easy...you can even use templates if you don't want to go into much work. If you know SQL you won't have a problem using MySQL and if you don't know much about databases in general you can still use osCommerce without much hassle. There are many contributions that allow you to customize your site in various ways.

Archived