• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Live site down! Please help!

Blowin

My live site is down and I'm about to pull my hair out! The company I use to host my site had server issues tonight and now all of a sudden my site isn't functioning at all! When anyone tries to go to my site the first thing they see is these errors

Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' cannot be used twice in /home/blowinin/public_html/includes/application_top.php on line 79

Warning: session_start(): Cannot find save handler mm in /home/blowinin/public_html/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 67

Warning: session_register(): Cannot find save handler mm in /home/blowinin/public_html/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 71

Warning: session_register(): Cannot find save handler mm in /home/blowinin/public_html/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 71

The hosting company says they're "positive" that it's scripting problems and not their issue any longer. I've tried to upload a back up copy of the application_top.php and the sessions.php with no luck. Please help! I can't afford to go through the biggest retail weekend of the year with no website!

TIA,

Billie

I am not sure, but it sounds like the web server may either be missing software or be misconfigured, which you wouldn't be able to control, so it would be your host's fault.

i'm not sure...I'm starting to think it is a problem with my files now because when they were originally having problems, my admin was down too. Now though, my admin works just fine and my site is having problems. Wouldn't both be down if it was their server problem?

sounds like u have some troubleshooting to see what is going on. you can check the server log files, turn on sql logging and see what is going on, etc

sounds like u have some troubleshooting to see what is going on. you can check the server log files, turn on sql logging and see what is going on, etc

I'm not so technically inclined....it's a small miracle that I was able to get my website together at all lol. What might I be looking for in these logs?

errors, missing file names, etc . ..

I wouldn't know them if I saw them. If I'm getting errors on the sessions.php and the application_top.php, why wouldn't they work when I upload the back up files that were working fine before? I just don't understand how this broke when I didn't even touch it!

My live site is down and I'm about to pull my hair out! The company I use to host my site had server issues tonight and now all of a sudden my site isn't functioning at all! When anyone tries to go to my site the first thing they see is these errors

The hosting company says they're "positive" that it's scripting problems and not their issue any longer. I've tried to upload a back up copy of the application_top.php and the sessions.php with no luck. Please help! I can't afford to go through the biggest retail weekend of the year with no website!

TIA,

Billie

your php system is trying to use mm (memory) as its session save handler in php.ini which I assume is done by your host so tell your host to put it back to "files" or set it to "mysql" yourself in your configure.php.

Treasurer MFC

your php system is trying to use mm (memory) as its session save handler in php.ini which I assume is done by your host so tell your host to put it back to "files" or set it to "mysql" yourself in your configure.php.

Are you talking about this line in the configure.php

define('STORE_SESSIONS', 'mysql');
? If so, it was already set to mysql. Any other ideas?

Are you talking about this line in the configure.php ? If so, it was already set to mysql. Any other ideas?

Would this still be the problem if my admin is working correctly but my site isn't? I don't understand why one is working and one isn't.

Would this still be the problem if my admin is working correctly but my site isn't? I don't understand why one is working and one isn't.

like I told you, ask your host whether they have set the session save handler to mm (shared memory) and if they have made changes to the output handler 'ob_gzhandler' in php.ini.

these are just warnings but the second set states that no session is retained.

to suppress the warnings for your users add this to the top of application_top :

error_reporting(E_ERROR);

Treasurer MFC

like I told you, ask your host whether they have set the session save handler to mm (shared memory) and if they have made changes to the output handler 'ob_gzhandler' in php.ini.

these are just warnings but the second set states that no session is retained.

to suppress the warnings for your users add this to the top of application_top :

error_reporting(E_ERROR);

I asked them to do that and they told me that the problem is with my script. Please...anyone...I need my site up! I'm willing to pay for help to get it back up and running.

I asked them to do that and they told me that the problem is with my script. Please...anyone...I need my site up! I'm willing to pay for help to get it back up and running.

I added that little code as well and it didn't change anything....I still have the same errors showing up on my site. It's obviously not saving anything either...if someone tries to put something in their shopping cart, it goes to a screen saying that that there's nothing in their shopping cart.

I added that little code as well and it didn't change anything....I still have the same errors showing up on my site. It's obviously not saving anything either...if someone tries to put something in their shopping cart, it goes to a screen saying that that there's nothing in their shopping cart.

try :

error_reporting(0);

Treasurer MFC

try :

error_reporting(0);

That one didn't work either. Still code...still no shopping cart.

That one didn't work either. Still code...still no shopping cart.

Actually, that last code got rid of the ob-gzhandler error...the session errors are still there.

Try this, it's needed when safe mode is enabled. It might help and it can't hurt.

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...09entry743309

That didn't work either. I made a new directory called sessions in my catalog folder and reset my admin configurations sessions to / home / public_html / sessions. I still have the same errors on my page.

That didn't work either. I made a new directory called sessions in my catalog folder and reset my admin configurations sessions to / home / public_html / sessions. I still have the same errors on my page.

as long as your host keeps the session_save_handler set to mm it will not function.

So either they change it back to files or you change hosts.

Treasurer MFC

as long as your host keeps the session_save_handler set to mm it will not function.

So either they change it back to files or you change hosts.

I've asked and asked them. They have the worst customer service EVER! If I change hosts, is that something to I could do today right now? How difficult will it be? I've got to get my site up asap...what a week for this to happen!

I've asked and asked them. They have the worst customer service EVER! If I change hosts, is that something to I could do today right now? How difficult will it be? I've got to get my site up asap...what a week for this to happen!

It depends on how long it takes the nameserver change to resolve. I've had it take less than an hour at times, sometimes it's a day.

Local: Mac OS X 10.5.8 - Apache 2.2/php 5.3.0/MySQL 5.4.10 • Web Servers: Linux

Tools: BBEdit, Coda, Versions (Subversion), Sequel Pro (db management)

It depends on how long it takes the nameserver change to resolve. I've had it take less than an hour at times, sometimes it's a day.

I don't suppose there's any kind of guide of how to move your oscommerce shopping cart to a new host is there?

I don't suppose there's any kind of guide of how to move your oscommerce shopping cart to a new host is there?

1.) Download all of your files for osc and do a database backup and download it.

2.) Choose a host that already hosts osCommerce sites. That way you know they will have all the necessary configurations already setup. Another aspect that will make your change easier is if they use the same web hosting control panel (cPanel, Plesk, Ensim, Helm, etc.) as your existing host. That will minimize your learning curve there. There are tens of thousands of web hosting companies out there and many supporting osc, so you can be picky. Many of them will also help you transfer your domain name.

3.) If you have your own SSL certificate, check with your provider to find out their procedure for reissuing our certificate for the new server. Follow their process for this. If your new host provides shared SSL, you can use that, but your new host will need to provide you with the information on how to use their shared SSL. Also, be aware that shared SSL is less than ideal for e-commerce.

4.). Upload your osc files to the new server and correct any file/folder permissions (i.e. both configure.php files, /admin/backups/ ,etc.)

5.) Use the web hosting control panel or phpMyAdmin to create your database and import your database backup.

6.) Edit both configure.php files to reflect the new directory structure and new database.

7.) Thoroughly test your store to make sure everything works the way it should.

hth

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Rule #2: Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

1.) Download all of your files for osc and do a database backup and download it.

2.) Choose a host that already hosts osCommerce sites. That way you know they will have all the necessary configurations already setup. Another aspect that will make your change easier is if they use the same web hosting control panel (cPanel, Plesk, Ensim, Helm, etc.) as your existing host. That will minimize your learning curve there. There are tens of thousands of web hosting companies out there and many supporting osc, so you can be picky. Many of them will also help you transfer your domain name.

3.) If you have your own SSL certificate, check with your provider to find out their procedure for reissuing our certificate for the new server. Follow their process for this. If your new host provides shared SSL, you can use that, but your new host will need to provide you with the information on how to use their shared SSL. Also, be aware that shared SSL is less than ideal for e-commerce.

4.). Upload your osc files to the new server and correct any file/folder permissions (i.e. both configure.php files, /admin/backups/ ,etc.)

5.) Use the web hosting control panel or phpMyAdmin to create your database and import your database backup.

6.) Edit both configure.php files to reflect the new directory structure and new database.

7.) Thoroughly test your store to make sure everything works the way it should.

hth

Thanks...that helps a lot! Still waiting to hear back from my current host to see if they are going to fix the problem or not.

Archived