• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What do I do now? My subcategories disappeared for

http://better-beads.com/catalog/Sterling-Silver/ is now showing that I have no products to list in this category and a big blank space. However, I have subcategories that I want to show up but they aren't (they did up until yesterday). There are absolutely no products just hanging out in the main category, they are all listed in subs.

Can someone please tell me how to fix this? I have searched but haven't been able to find a solution.

Thanks in advance, Autumn

http://better-beads.com/catalog/Sterling-Silver/ is now showing that I have no products to list in this category and a big blank space. However, I have subcategories that I want to show up but they aren't (they did up until yesterday). There are absolutely no products just hanging out in the main category, they are all listed in subs.

Can someone please tell me how to fix this? I have searched but haven't been able to find a solution.

I had the same problem once and my cause was having products in the main category. As soon as I removed the products in the main category, the subcategories showed up again. So basically if you have subcategories then you cant have any products in the same level as them.

I had the same problem once and my cause was having products in the main category. As soon as I removed the products in the main category, the subcategories showed up again. So basically if you have subcategories then you cant have any products in the same level as them.

Thanks for responding but as I stated in my post, there are absolutely no products in the main category, they are ALL listed in subcategories. I learned the hard way about not having items in main categories that you have subcategories for.

So, question still stands. Can anyone else shed some light please?

Thanks and hope everyone is having a happy thanksgiving!!!

I just added a new category with 4 subcategories, and have the same problem - subcategories don't show up! I have no products added in these categories yet. At the same time I also added a new sub to a couple of my other existing categories, and they show up fine.

I looked at the code in index.php and it seems to make sense, and should be working. It works on all my old categories, but not the new main one I added.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

John <_<

I just added a new category with 4 subcategories, and have the same problem - subcategories don't show up! I have no products added in these categories yet. At the same time I also added a new sub to a couple of my other existing categories, and they show up fine.

I looked at the code in index.php and it seems to make sense, and should be working. It works on all my old categories, but not the new main one I added.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

John <_<

bet you have a disabled product in that category.

Treasurer MFC

bet you have a disabled product in that category.

Nope, haven't added any products to the category or subs at this point. Strange...very strange...

John :blink:

I would double check in the database.

OK, where is the emoticon for "stupid"? For some reason there were two products in the products_to_categories table assigned to my problem category. I don't remember putting them there, but somehow, they were there. They did not exist in the products table, only P to C.

Deleted from database, and walah! There were the sub categories.

Thanks for being insistent, would not have found it without you! :blush:

John

OK, where is the emoticon for "stupid"? For some reason there were two products in the products_to_categories table assigned to my problem category. I don't remember putting them there, but somehow, they were there. They did not exist in the products table, only P to C.

Deleted from database, and walah! There were the sub categories.

Thanks for being insistent, would not have found it without you! :blush:

John

Hello, i seem to have the same problem, i had all main categories and sub categories working fine .

Had products in main categories and also linked to sub categories.

What do you mean there were 2 products in the products_to _categories table, im not to hot on the phpmysql admin side of this ( still trying to come to grips with this) in my products_to _categories i have

categories_id

products_id

are these meant to be there

Also in the field of the above 2 the in the attributes there is nothing , and null are no, and default are 0

in the categories field in phpmysql there is

parent_id null is no

categories_id null is no

is this how they are meant to be set as this was all working great until i viewed my categories file and selected no to change anything so i could save the file then work on it but it dissapeared and now this is happening no sub categories ???

i feel there might be something set wrong here but dont quite no how to change them , without screwing it up more.

titch # pleaase help as the site was good and getting some sales

Hello, i seem to have the same problem, i had all main categories and sub categories working fine .

Had products in main categories and also linked to sub categories.

What do you mean there were 2 products in the products_to _categories table, im not to hot on the phpmy admin side of this ( still trying to come to grips with this) in my products_to _categories i have

categories_id

products_id

are these meant to be there

Also in the field of the above 2 the in the attributes there is nothing , and null are no, and default are 0

in the categories field in phpmysql there is

parent_id null is no

categories_id null is no

is this how they are meant to be set as this was all working great until i viewed my categories file and selected no to change anything so i could save the file then work on it but it dissapeared and now this is happening no sub categories ???

i feel there might be something set wrong here but dont quite no how to change them , without screwing it up more.

titch # pleaase help as the site was good and getting some sales

sorry bit of a screw up above or below in last reply, what i mean by not showing in categories i can get them to show on the web site okay in their sub categories http://www.hypertech.co.nz

but they dont show up under the main categories in the categories box like they used to.

hope that makes a bit of sense

titch

sorry bit of a screw up above or below in last reply, what i mean by not showing in categories i can get them to show on the web site okay in their sub categories http://www.hypertech.co.nz

but they dont show up under the main categories in the categories box like they used to.

hope that makes a bit of sense

titch

Derek,

Do you mean that you were working on the catalog/includes/boxes/categories.php file when you lost everything? I hope you were working on a copy and not live on the actual file. If it was the live file, it may not have saved correctly and become corrupted.

I looked at your store, and I see products available under main categories and also subcategories. I also see many categories and subs that have no products in them. Are these the ones that are giving the problem? Can you give an example of a problem category and what is actually supposed to be in it?

To answer your database questions, many of those fields are normally null or "0". Don't worry about that. The products_to_categories table is the one that tells the page which products go to which category or sub category.

What Amanda was saying before, is if you have a category with subcategories, there can be no products in the main category - only in the subcategories. Not sure why this makes a difference, but I had those two invalid entires in my products_to_categories table, and deleteing them made the difference. One thing I did not try was the fact that they were not actual products. In other words they were referenced in the the P to C table, but did not actually exist in the products table. That may be the actual problem with this. I will try some tests later and see what happens.

If you were working in the categories.php file, I would start by doing a compare to the original stock file, and see if anything is missing (your existing file may have more depending on how many modifications you have).

John

Derek,

Do you mean that you were working on the catalog/includes/boxes/categories.php file when you lost everything? I hope you were working on a copy and not live on the actual file. If it was the live file, it may not have saved correctly and become corrupted.

I looked at your store, and I see products available under main categories and also subcategories. I also see many categories and subs that have no products in them. Are these the ones that are giving the problem? Can you give an example of a problem category and what is actually supposed to be in it?

To answer your database questions, many of those fields are normally null or "0". Don't worry about that. The products_to_categories table is the one that tells the page which products go to which category or sub category.

What Amanda was saying before, is if you have a category with subcategories, there can be no products in the main category - only in the subcategories. Not sure why this makes a difference, but I had those two invalid entires in my products_to_categories table, and deleteing them made the difference. One thing I did not try was the fact that they were not actual products. In other words they were referenced in the the P to C table, but did not actually exist in the products table. That may be the actual problem with this. I will try some tests later and see what happens.

If you were working in the categories.php file, I would start by doing a compare to the original stock file, and see if anything is missing (your existing file may have more depending on how many modifications you have).

John

Hello john

thanxs for the reply, i have fixed the problem now as before i read this i thought i would install an original categories file into site .

this seems to have fixed the problem, as for products not in some categories, just placed them in there a a small while afgo and are in the process of placing products in the empty one, and disabling the ones without products till i get there.

thanxs for the reply, even though i got there , i would have done what you said at the end and made it as well , so thanxs, also learnt from some of your post and appreciate that you spent the time explaining a few things, cheers.

and thanks to anyone and everyone that has helped.

titch

Archived