• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SMF Forum integration to Oscommerce

gregy

Hi!

Thanx for this contribution .. i'm running SMF on other domain for more then a year now .. it works great!!!

i have a question .. what about infobox .. last posts .. or center module last posts .. vistiors .. number of posts and stuff .. would be great ..

infobox is the only thing that is stopping me form using smf in my oscommerce now .. i'm using phpbb fix .. but i would rather use SMF ... it's just better smile.gif

Hi there, SMF works EXACTLY the same, even installing SMF modules etc. The only difference is that you have your infoboxes etc, header, footer etc. So basically it is an oscomemerce page, with SMF in the middle.

Have a look at my forum to see what it looks like: http://www.greekandromancoins.com/forums.php

You can always try a test installation. Because the databases are kept separate and the SMF is kept in a different folder (expect for two files which are in the root folder of your site), there is no mess to clean up afterwards. Uninstalling is simply deleting the two files from catalog folder (forums.php, forum.php), deleting the "forum" directory and then deleting the forum database.

Hope this helps,

--Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Support the Project, go PRO and get access to certified add ons

Full-time I am a C-suite executive of a large retail company in Australia. In my spare time, I enjoying learning about web-design.

Download the latest version of CE Phoenix from gitHub here

yeap .. i did took a look to demo .. i know how it works .. but i had in my mind some infobox that will pull out number of members, last posts or module only last 10 posts for center of page ..

stuff like this :)

Hi again Gregy, unfortunately, my php knowledge is pretty much limited so wouldn't know how to go about implementing infoboxes that draw out forum information. I'm sure there are many here on the forum that would know how to and would be add such features.

--Peter

Hi again all, some good news. Our good friend and moderator Johnson has come up with a way to redirect to the forum page without making it as obvious as Javascript (the Javascript gives a quick glimse of the "loading" page).

Simply use file "forums.php" as per the instructions, but DELETE the redirect javascript code.

Then instead, after "require('includes/application_top.php');

ADD

header('Location: forum.php');

This will make forums.php redirect to forum.php without any noticeable transition but still allow an oscommerce session to start.

--Peter

BTW: link for this contribution is: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,3763

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Support the Project, go PRO and get access to certified add ons

Full-time I am a C-suite executive of a large retail company in Australia. In my spare time, I enjoying learning about web-design.

Download the latest version of CE Phoenix from gitHub here

i've installed latest 1.1 RC1 version .. can you please make an update to that version .. file ssupplied in contribution are not wroking for this version ..

of course is logical to use latest version :)

• 4 months later...
Hi

What ver of SMF are you using

I installed ver 1.5 and all i get is errors when i copy your code over the top

Mark

Reviving this thread.

This is a great contribution. But it would be nice to share usernames and passwords. On SMF's site, someone said their developer said this was an easy task but wondered if it would violate the GPL. SMF said is was okay to do the modification but not to redistribute their software. Surely somebody here knows mySQL enough to sync the username and password between the two. Anyone up to the challenge?

(Another thought is that you would want to direct all FORUM registrations to the OSC registration so that you don't get the two messed up.)

• 2 weeks later...

I've integrated SMF into my site by using the contribution here. However, I have the same problem with having two separate registrations for oscommerce and smf. For now, I have the forum opened to public because of the issue. Does any one have a solution to it yet?

Many thanks.

• 1 month later...

At the risk of sounding like a complete NOOB um, what do I have to do to change the heading title of my new SMF forum page. Right now it says "shipping and returns". I could just get rid of the echo in forum.php, I suppose, but I would prefer to know how to make the change the right way.

Little help?

thx.

;-j

At the risk of sounding like a complete NOOB um, what do I have to do to change the heading title of my new SMF forum page. Right now it says "shipping and returns". I could just get rid of the echo in forum.php, I suppose, but I would prefer to know how to make the change the right way.

Little help?

thx.

;-j

Actually another problem is that somehow the style of the header navigation has somehow been affected. Any idea of why that happened or what can be done about it?

It's me again...

Well, I figured out what was going on with my header navigation. I had to add some styles specific to the header itself and it worked out.

Now I have a much bigger problem that should be easy to solve, I just don't know where to start.

The problem is that none of my links work because they are defaulting to the top level of my site where the forum is actually installed in a subfolder. When I installed SMF I installed it into the root folder then moved it into the subfolder that contains my installation of OSC. Once I did that I used repair_settings.php (a smf tool) which seemed to work, but I guess not because none of my links work.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Here's the offending page:

http://www.cut-it-up.com/test_shop/forum.php

It's me again...

Well, I figured out what was going on with my header navigation. I had to add some styles specific to the header itself and it worked out.

Now I have a much bigger problem that should be easy to solve, I just don't know where to start.

The problem is that none of my links work because they are defaulting to the top level of my site where the forum is actually installed in a subfolder. When I installed SMF I installed it into the root folder then moved it into the subfolder that contains my installation of OSC. Once I did that I used repair_settings.php (a smf tool) which seemed to work, but I guess not because none of my links work.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Here's the offending page:

http://www.cut-it-up.com/test_shop/forum.php

Is there anyone who has any ideas about this? I have been playing around with filepaths where I can find them to see if I can cobble a soultion together, but it hasn't been working at all.

• 2 months later...

Hey folks,

In case there is anyone out there who wants to use this contribution, you will need to modify the styles of the smf stylesheet so that the look of your site is consistent. To do that edit the stylesheet in Themes/default/style.css in whatever the forum folder is that you are working with.

If you don't do this the forum's style will override the styles you have for your main site.

I hope that helps someone!

Another problem I was having with this contribution was that the links in the actual forum were all going to the wrong place. That issue was resolved by editing this line:

$scripturl = '../../forum.php';

in the Sources/QueryString.php file.

I hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone thought of updating this contribution?

Just an idea as I know lots of people over at SMF would love to see this working with the latest versions of SMF.

I'm not a coder myself but I just thought I'd bring this subject to life.

A few ideas I have had for this contribution are maybe:

A Stand alone option so that the intergration of the 2 sites can be on a purely registration and login basis as opposed to having the forum merged into the oscomerce site but rather click a link to the forums and have the user automatically logged in. Also when a new user registers at the oscommerce site he is also registered at the forum but have the option to dissable new sign ups at the forums directly meaning only signups through oscommerce are allowed and this process registers for both sites.

These Ideas are based on some of the things I and other people have mentioned they are looking for over at SMF.

If anyone feels like taking up this challenge then they could always hop over to the SMF community and maybe see who else might be interested.

Its a real shame that this great contribution seems to have fallen behind the times and gathered dust. I see all these great ways of bridging Oscommerce with other forums and CMS's like joomla And over at SMF I see people making Great contribution mods for ways to bridge and link SMF with other CMS's like joomla etc and yet I ask myself why cant we have oscommerce and SMF linked.. 2 EXCELLENT systems so far appart :(

If I knew how to do it I would.. but sadly Im a skill limited n00b whos learning curve isnt getting any swifter so I'm reduced to hoping that some kind person will forfill this humble wish of mine and many others in my skill less position. :blush:

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I agree 100%. It would be really nice to see some more integration with this, but it seems, like so many other great contibs on this site, that it's hit a brick wall. Still, I'm happy to have it working on my site. Let's hope someone with skills picks this one up and runs with it.

Have you posted your suggestions on the Joomla/Civic Space/Drupal boards?

Hi everyone,

we also got a little problem with the module. We installed the version 1.0.5 of the SMF Forum and the actualst version of this contribution. So far everything looks and works. But the problems starts now. I login into the forum with my account and get no error. But when i click on something for example the admin control center or the welcome thread i have to login again. My workmate and i have figured out that the value of the osCsid variable will not transmit to the forum part of the page. It looks like that is the reason for the problem. Does anyone have an idea how to fix that problem?

• 2 weeks later...

hmm .. i come to think .. i already run SMF forum on domain 123.com .. today i was trying to include SSI into a infobox on 456.com domain (another server) .. i read that SSI works for others, but mine won't. I assume because it is in infobox .. i have a path in there .. but it won't display anything :(