• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Who has successfully installed osCommerce in a PHP 5 environment?

Please see details in my previous post:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=181044

Also, here is my PHP configuration:

http://store.alamoworkingdogs.com/info.php

I am stumped, any advice is appreciated.

Eman

I am a newbie but there was a lot of good advice by Cybersilly under post

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?s=&...ndpost&p=744158

As I understand it there are problems with PHP5 and you should look to use PHP4.

Regards

I have osCommerce 2.2MS2 051113 running fine on PHP 5.1.0RC5-dev with IIS 5.1 on Window XP Professional, and the same osC on PHP 5.0.5 with IIS 6 on Windows 2003 Server.

I installed the Register Globals contribution before I began the osC installer, disabled register_globals in php.ini, and most importantly for step 2, I enabled the php_mysql.dll extension because in 5.1 at least its disabled by default. Step 2 of installation failing is often caused by a missing MySQL database extension.

You can get the latest builds of the common extensions from PHP Snapshots. I installed many of the 5.1 builds of the older extensions which my applications require.

If you get garbled output at some points it will be caused by the browser asking for GZIP compression and PHP saying okay, here you go, but you've not got php_zip.dll installed but you have zlib.output_compression = On in php.ini, so turn it off or install the snapshot zip DLL - it worked for me.

I tried to get OSC running on PHP5, having patched for register_globals off and all, and applying every known trick to get past step 2 to no avail. I just gave up and went to PHP4. Works great :)

Different versions of PHP 4+ are updates/upgrades/patches of earlier versions, whilst PHP 5+ is a whole new version of PHP. osCommerce 2.2 MS2 was written years before the first PHP 5 version came out and so could not be forward-compatible with a version of PHP that hadn't even been written at that time.

That said I have noticed that it's usually not too difficult to get osCommerce to work with PHP5 on Linux/Unix servers. The worst problems seem to occur when PHP 5 is being run on Windows servers.

Vger

• 2 weeks later...
That said I have noticed that it's usually not too difficult to get osCommerce to work with PHP5 on Linux/Unix servers. The worst problems seem to occur when PHP 5 is being run on Windows servers.

Vger -

Do you have any link resources for PHP5/Linux/mySQL where osc is running at 100%?

In a post on another thread, I detailed how I was able to get osCommerce to load under this configuration but there seems to be a problem with $_GET variables retaining values across instances of script loads....eg: clicking on a category just keeps bouncing the user back to the main page.

Do you know of any development efforts that will cert osc w/php5?

The apparent and alledged compatibility issues between osc and php5 are frustrating for those of us who host multiple domains - I have users under postnuke who are requesting php5 compatibility and I can't provide it because osc won't work...

Thanks...

--Mike

Archived