• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How long did it take you to build your shop

illumina_foxz

Hello,

Just wanted to know how long did it take you to build your first shop from OScommerce?

Right now I've been trying for a few days now.. pretty much progressed.. although I'm confused here and there.. I think it should be fine later on.. if I managed to get it running.

There are many variables that go into how long it will take a person to set up their first store. In my case, I spent 6 months on it, but that was just working on it a little when I had some spare time. I installed quite a few contributions to get exactly the functionality that I wanted. Plus, I had no prior knowledge of PHP so some of the time was spent figuring out how to get some of the contributions to work together.

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Rule #2: Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

I think that depends on what you mean by build. Once your shop is installed, a few minor changes made the admin->configuration and products added, the shop could be considered finished. If you mean personalizing it, that could take months.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

The fastest shop I ever built was 2 days.

The longest time I ever spent on a shop was 8 months, but it had custom database integration, custom accounting software integration, CRON jobs to line everything up, custom shipping modules, and a host of other custom features.

My advice comes in two flavors- Pick the one that won't offend you.

Hard and Cynical: How to Make a Horrible osCommerce Site

Warm and Fuzzy: How to Make an Awesome osCommerce Site

• 6 months later...
There are many variables that go into how long it will take a person to set up their first store. In my case, I spent 6 months on it, but that was just working on it a little when I had some spare time. I installed quite a few contributions to get exactly the functionality that I wanted. Plus, I had no prior knowledge of PHP so some of the time was spent figuring out how to get some of the contributions to work together.

Well, I don't feel so left out than, I thought I was the only person in this world that take this long to build my store. It's been 5 months now and I keep saying that I'm almost done. Although I might be almost done, but I feel that there is something still missing.

Any suggestions please reply back to me or e-mail me at [email protected]

here is my site address www.serenityhd.ca

Thanks

I started my store the day I joined this forum (see under my name to the left). I am about ready to open my doors.

During these 5-6 months, I've also been doing work for my neighbor's clients, researching like mad, taking care of my husband who works outside the house, and taking time off from the computer when I was sick.

If I had worked on the site like a full time job, I probably would be this far in about 2 months. I also have almost 550 products loaded with another 250 or so to load yet. Each one by hand. Joy. hehe.

I am brand new to php, never worked with a shopping cart before (from installation and modification - have worked in X-Cart uploading products for clients), and only know basic HTML. So, I'm pretty proud of what I've accomplished. My site pales in comparision to some of the more knowledgable folks here, but I'm not out for site of the year award *grins*

Trang - as for your site. Nice simple peaceful design. Your navigation header (Home, New Products, etc) took a while to load. May want to optimize the file size of those pics to load faster. Nice overall design to the site. We have many of the same products - I think we're using the same source *grins* Best of luck to you!!!!

I started my store the day I joined this forum (see under my name to the left). I am about ready to open my doors.

During these 5-6 months, I've also been doing work for my neighbor's clients, researching like mad, taking care of my husband who works outside the house, and taking time off from the computer when I was sick.

If I had worked on the site like a full time job, I probably would be this far in about 2 months. I also have almost 550 products loaded with another 250 or so to load yet. Each one by hand. Joy. hehe.

I am brand new to php, never worked with a shopping cart before (from installation and modification - have worked in X-Cart uploading products for clients), and only know basic HTML. So, I'm pretty proud of what I've accomplished. My site pales in comparision to some of the more knowledgable folks here, but I'm not out for site of the year award *grins*

Trang - as for your site. Nice simple peaceful design. Your navigation header (Home, New Products, etc) took a while to load. May want to optimize the file size of those pics to load faster. Nice overall design to the site. We have many of the same products - I think we're using the same source *grins* Best of luck to you!!!!

Hello Moonlight,

Thank you for the feedback I didn't realize that my links (Home, New Products, etc.) took long to load.

I'll make that change. :rolleyes: :blush:

Archived