• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Main Page Help

Hello,

I' am wondering where to find the files to change my main Page. I know next to nothing about programing, but I learn fast. The .Gif files are a snap to alter. I need to find and alter the small yellow in the center of my site. I want to change the site from a Movie only site to be able to sell other things. I am including my link: www.dvdsinstock.com Anyone kow which file or files provide the text?

jim

I'm having a similar problem. I've been able to change quite a bit. But there are a few things I can't locate. If anyone has a moment to take a peek at my mainpage and maybe have suggestions on where I might find these "pieces" of my main page?

www. laretroboutique.com

On the left side, light green box says Free Shipping for $90 purchas...ect. I cannot find this piece of my main page to modify anywhere. I'm totally baffled. Also, the page it links to...free shipping...I can't find that either. I'm totally frustrated from looking and running in circles.

There are 3 types of files in most advanced (or good) scripts:

main file - includes paths for configuration and information files

configuration files - these use default settings described in a default script 'config' file

information files - the actual information displayed

For example, if we look in your Cart 'index.php' file, for how information is displayed on the left-hand side, you will find this type code:

<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'column_left.php'); ?>

DIR_WS_INCLUDES

- this "path" configuration is described in the default script 'configure.php' file as:

define('DIR_WS_INCLUDES', 'includes/');

This means information will be pulled from: /includes/column_left.php

If we look at that file we see for example, that it will look for:

include(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'manufacturers.php');

and DIR_WS_BOXES, in the 'configure.php' file is configured as:

define('DIR_WS_BOXES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'boxes/');

So that "path" would be:

/includes/boxes/manufacturers.php

And the 'manufacturers.php' file displays the appropriate information on the page. The coding in the file itself probably won't make sense, but the information displayed is what was entered at:

Admin section > Catalog > Manufacturers

For your specific situation, Bizzmom, you need to Edit the appropriate area in the Admin section.

The above all presumes a default install with all files in the 'catalog' dir.

Although it may seem kind of odd, all good programming uses files for: main, configuration, information, which constantly refer back to each other. One just needs to get used to looking at and understanding, programming code.

For those that do want to, well, that's why we're all here. :D

you should look in the language files includes/languages/engish/index.php is a good place to look.

:D

Just where you said it would be. Now I'm a happy camper, or a would-be programmer.

Thanks

Jim

Archived