• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

phpmyadmin help

I have recently decided to change my web hosting company and want to move my site.

I have downloaded the entire site and uploaded on the new web hosts server. I have also created a mysql database there.

I have the database name, user name&password and the server name and ip address.

I have made a backup of the database using the osc admin panel.

How do I now copy this to the new database. From what I have read i should use phpmyadmin but neither of the hosting companies have this installed on there server.

Any advice would be much appreciated

thanks

paul

You can install phpmyadmin yourself. Just download it (search the web) and follow the short instructions. For what it's worth though, if your new host doesn't have it and won't install it for you, I would seriously consider finding a new host. That should be part of the package when a host offers oscommerce, in my opinion. It indicates they don't truly support it which means you will have more problems with them down the road.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

You can install phpmyadmin yourself. Just download it (search the web) and follow the short instructions. For what it's worth though, if your new host doesn't have it and won't install it for you, I would seriously consider finding a new host. That should be part of the package when a host offers oscommerce, in my opinion. It indicates they don't truly support it which means you will have more problems with them down the road.

Jack

Thanks Jack

They dont actually have it on there control panel but will allow me to install it myself.

Do I FTP THE FILES INTO THE htdocs folder or create a new folder in the root dir.

thanks paul

hello,

i get the same problem als you .i was changing my host provider en now nothing works i get the message database not found and i kan't go to control panel admin nothing ..

do you find any solutions ?please helpe

I am slowly getting there.

You need to create a new mysql database with you new host. Make sure you write down 4 things

database server name

database username

database username password

database name

Once you have created the database you need to get into your file through ftp

and modify the include/configure.php and admin/includes/confogure.php

and change the 4 things above to the new names you got from your new host.

Thats as far as I have got so far with help from the forums. Now I have to install phpmyadmin so that I can transfer the database across( hopefully you made a backup before dumping the old host!)

Hopefull one of the kind folks from the forum will write a detailed step by step instruction to changing web host.( if I make it through successfully then I will try do it!)

Good luck I will keep you updated on my progress!

Thanks Jack

They dont actually have it on there control panel but will allow me to install it myself.

Do I FTP THE FILES INTO THE htdocs folder or create a new folder in the root dir.

thanks paul

It needs to be places in the htdocs directory since you have to be able to reach it from the web. You should password protect or anyone will have access to your database.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived