• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to change username and password

I'm at the finish line and completely stumped. I have muddled my way through countless contributions and now when I am ready to launch I suddenly realised that I had installed the store with my usual username and password, but have to hand it over to someone else.

Bottom line is I need to change the username and password but I'm either being thick or there is something weird here.

I have looked in my includes/configure.php and the password in there is not the same password that I have been using to access my admin area.

I then checked in my hosting control panel's password protect directory and nothing is defined in there.

I took a chance and tried to define a new user in the password protect directory and access was denied when I tried to get into my admin area using that username and password.

I went into mysql in my hosting control panel and created a new user and gave full authorisation. That didn't work.

I tried going into my db via phpmyadmin and was stumped. - I'm not clued up on mysql at all and adding to it is about all that I know how to do.

Where and how do I change my username and password??

Anyone with a torch would be much appreciated!

I'm assuming the admin folder is protected with .htaccess - you get a pop-up prompt box asking you for your username and password?

If you don't remember how you set this up then I would guess you did it through your hosting's control panel. You need to look at the hosting company's help files for that or get in touch with them.

Forget about MySQL and your configure files in your osC build - it has nothing to do with that.

Hope this helps.

I'm assuming the admin folder is protected with .htaccess - you get a pop-up prompt box asking you for your username and password?

If you don't remember how you set this up then I would guess you did it through your hosting's control panel. You need to look at the hosting company's help files for that or get in touch with them.

Forget about MySQL and your configure files in your osC build - it has nothing to do with that.

Hope this helps.

I do get the pop-up box asking for username and password, yes.

It was preinstalled as a programme in fantastico. All I had to do was "install" it in cpanle's mysql and create and associate the user.

I've asked my hosting company and they are simply telling me to do what I have already done (and which failed - as described in my original post on this here). They are always extremely helpful, so I don't think they're just fobbing me. They honestly don't understand why I am having this problem either.

If you have any other suggestions, I am prepared to try almost anything at this stage. - I have a full bakcup waiting in the wings just in case.

I do get the pop-up box asking for username and password, yes.

It was preinstalled as a programme in fantastico. All I had to do was "install" it in cpanle's mysql and create and associate the user.

I've asked my hosting company and they are simply telling me to do what I have already done (and which failed - as described in my original post on this here). They are always extremely helpful, so I don't think they're just fobbing me. They honestly don't understand why I am having this problem either.

If you have any other suggestions, I am prepared to try almost anything at this stage. - I have a full bakcup waiting in the wings just in case.

Ok. Found the solution and in case anyone else has this problem, decided to come back here and post it. This problem relates specifically (I think) to an oscommerce installation done on cpanel. The ordinary cpanel "rules" do not apply and you cannot manage the username and password for osc via cpanel in any way.

When osc installs via fantastico, it generates itw own encrypted username and password based on the username and password you stipulate.

You will search for your username and password to change it until you are blue in the face and you will not see it.

There is no obvious way to update these settings, and the cPanel / Password Protect Directories function (which also creates .htaccess files) is unable to edit the data that Fantastico has set as it uses a different code structure.

If you need to change the username and password, you can do so by removing the content from the existing .htaccess / .htpasswd files, and then using cPanel >> Password Protect Directories to secure the admin directory again, and create a new username and password to access it.

This solution is compliments of my host and works.

Hope it helps someone else too!

Ok. Found the solution and in case anyone else has this problem, decided to come back here and post it. This problem relates specifically (I think) to an oscommerce installation done on cpanel. The ordinary cpanel "rules" do not apply and you cannot manage the username and password for osc via cpanel in any way.

When osc installs via fantastico, it generates itw own encrypted username and password based on the username and password you stipulate.

You will search for your username and password to change it until you are blue in the face and you will not see it.

There is no obvious way to update these settings, and the cPanel / Password Protect Directories function (which also creates .htaccess files) is unable to edit the data that Fantastico has set as it uses a different code structure.

If you need to change the username and password, you can do so by removing the content from the existing .htaccess / .htpasswd files, and then using cPanel >> Password Protect Directories to secure the admin directory again, and create a new username and password to access it.

This solution is compliments of my host and works.

Hope it helps someone else too!

Hi,

You could try this

Please use one of the following urls to reset your password:

NON-SSL:

http://www.yoursite.com:2082/resetpass/?action=reset&pass=kJTG8P3kiyl9zemn&user=Your8digitDBname

SSL:

https://www.yoursite.com:2083/resetpass/?action=reset&pass=kJTG8P3kiyl9zemn&user=Your8digitDBname

Try it and let me know if it works, it should be good for fantastico enabled username & password

Kind Regards,

Michelle.

Hi,

You could try this

Please use one of the following urls to reset your password:

NON-SSL:

http://www.yoursite.com:2082/resetpass/?action=reset&pass=kJTG8P3kiyl9zemn&user=Your8digitDBname

SSL:

https://www.yoursite.com:2083/resetpass/?action=reset&pass=kJTG8P3kiyl9zemn&user=Your8digitDBname

Try it and let me know if it works, it should be good for fantastico enabled username & password

Kind Regards,

Michelle.

Hi Michelle

Thanks for that but I've already applied the other fix. If I need to change usernames and passwords again, I'll try your way and see how it works.

Archived