• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Official PayPal IPN Support Thread

Mark Evans

Anyone have either of these problems?

1. A few of my orders are being processed (they can be seen in Paypal account). However, The order is listed in the admin orders but I am not getting the OSC order process email.

This is likely because either:

• the client did not return to your shop after paying with PayPal. The 'Extra' order confirmation email that can get sent to you will only fire off if the client allows PayPal to redirect them to the checkout_process.php page.
  • If the client did return to your shop, then you have either not set an 'Extra' email, or what you have entered is not formatted correctly. See Admin>Configuration>My Store>Send Extra Order Emails to to set this. Ignore what the instructions say about format, just use a plain [email protected] format, if you want more than one email, separate them with a comma and a space. It's a confusing use of the term extra, as if it's not set, the shop owner won't get sent an email as you would expect. The client always get one sent.

Sorry I can't help with (2)

• the client did not return to your shop after paying with PayPal. The 'Extra' order confirmation email that can get sent to you will only fire off if the client allows PayPal to redirect them to the checkout_process.php page.
  • If the client did return to your shop, then you have either not set an 'Extra' email, or what you have entered is not formatted correctly. See Admin>Configuration>My Store>Send Extra Order Emails to to set this. Ignore what the instructions say about format, just use a plain [email protected] format, if you want more than one email, separate them with a comma and a space. It's a confusing use of the term extra, as if it's not set, the shop owner won't get sent an email as you would expect. The client always get one sent.

Ok, did what you suggested (I had: Orders <[email protected]>).

Lets wait and see ;)

Norman in 't Veldt

osCommerce The Netherlands

I need help getting Paypal IPN working with the Imprint Text Options contribution!

I have spent weeks with this. None of my clients orders are getting through because they don't click the return to merchant link at paypal. I have IPN installed and it works with all my other contributions, except the text options which is the most important because it is a custom stationary site. So, I can't use it yet. I have the product attributes contribution installed and that works with IPN so I know it can be done.

Is there anyone who could help me with this? The imprint text option post has the same questions posted with no responses ever. Please help!!

Karen

Does the client get a confirmation email if he does NOT return from PayPal?

On the invoice, the "customer notified" field = 'False' (by a big red X)

And the database field: Order_status_history.customer_notified=0

1) So, does that mean that I need to devise an email to send to him for confirmation of the Order? Or is it already done?

2) I just got my first order from IPN and am confused as to what happens when they don't return from it.

Since I have several people that went to PayPal but didn't complete the process... The only way I know I have a 'real' order, is by Paypal notification. Right?

So, how do I get the process to 'complete' in osC (update Orders_Shipping, Products.products_orderd, etc) ?

Is there a contrib, or something, that we can just "complete the process" manually?? Or is that what you all were talking about above?

Thanks!

Nancy

My question concerns paypal. I have my account set up like it needs to be with all the return url's pointing to www.mydomain.com/cart/checkout_process.php (the two places in paypal profile i have this is the website payment preference and the ipn preference) Now when I go through the process of paying at paypal and I click the pay button to verify that I want to proceed it does not take me back to the oscommerce site (the checkout_process.php). I talked to paypal and they said that it won't automatically send the shopper back if I have it set up so that shoppers can pay with credit cards at paypal. Does anyone know if this is true or not? I would like to allow shoppers to pay for their stuff with credit cards at paypal but I noticed that if they do that and they don't return to the oscommerce the products they just purchased isn't removed from the shopping cart. I'm not using the oscommerce as a complete inventory tracking system so I'm not to worried if the products aren't subtracted from inventory but I would like for the items to be removed from the cart so that if the customer comes back it isn't there for them to purchase again unless they actually go and select the product to buy again. Any one know the answer to this one.

jamie

I have my code ste u to automatically forward back to my site after 10 seconds. Unless they quite before that all should work. but it's not. When I did a test, I closed the browser before being fowarded back to my site and everything worked as it should. I was using my paypal account so that may be the problem. I will try a test using a credit card (not my paypal account) and see what happens.

as to the question above, I would also like to know if that is the case. Surely my shop "should" send me the order no matter how the customer pays.

of the orders I have recieved notice of from my shop this is what it looks like:

notified.gif

and the orders when I have not recieved store notification:

notified_no.gif

Does the client get a confirmation email if he does NOT return from PayPal?

On the invoice, the "customer notified" field = 'False' (by a big red X)

And the database field: Order_status_history.customer_notified=0

1) So, does that mean that I need to devise an email to send to him for confirmation of the Order? Or is it already done?

Unless the customer returns (or allows paypal to redirect them) no email is sent by the shop, and the cart is not reset. You can send a confirmation by changing the status to pending and adding your text in the comment box.

2) I just got my first order from IPN and am confused as to what happens when they don't return from it.

Since I have several people that went to PayPal but didn't complete the process... The only way I know I have a 'real' order, is by Paypal notification. Right?

Correct. If the order says Preparing [PayPal IPN] then the customer did not complete the transaction at PayPal. If it say Verified then you know it's good.

So, how do I get the process to 'complete' in osC (update Orders_Shipping, Products.products_orderd, etc) ?

Is there a contrib, or something, that we can just "complete the process" manually?? Or is that what you all were talking about above?

Well, the process is complete in most respects. The customer has successfully placed and paid for an order and you can see the information to fulfil it. The only two problems seem to be the automated confirmation (to either party) and the resetting of the basket. The first you can do manually (but I'm trying to get a system to patch the current IPN file - it may take me some time.) The other I can't see an easy solution for.

HTH

---john---

... I talked to paypal and they said that it won't automatically send the shopper back if I have it set up so that shoppers can pay with credit cards at paypal. Does anyone know if this is true or not? I would like to allow shoppers to pay for their stuff with credit cards at paypal but I noticed that if they do that and they don't return to the oscommerce the products they just purchased isn't removed from the shopping cart...

jamie

I just went through this last week when I set up my OSC store with PayPal IPN and set them to the live servers. Apparently that auto-return mechanism does not work if you allow customers to use credit cards. If you notice, when a customer uses a credit card, the last paypal page they see is a big "sign up now" advertisement with an obvious "sign up" button and a little "return to store" link that the user needs to click. I think that setup stinks...the link is far from obvious, and we need the customer to click it.

To alleviate this issue, on the last page of the checkout process on my store (just before going to paypal) I have a bolded, white-text on red background note telling the customer to be sure to click the "return to store" link. I'm hoping that will work or at least help. And even if it doesn't, you just match up the paypal order with the "preparing" OSC order and manually deduct stock, right?

Michael

I just went through this last week when I set up my OSC store with PayPal IPN and set them to the live servers. Apparently that auto-return mechanism does not work if you allow customers to use credit cards. If you notice, when a customer uses a credit card, the last paypal page they see is a big "sign up now" advertisement with an obvious "sign up" button and a little "return to store" link that the user needs to click. I think that setup stinks...the link is far from obvious, and we need the customer to click it.

Yep same issue here!

Why the h*ll does PayPal trick our customer in creating an account instead of letting the customers choose to pay with there Creditcard or, if they have one, their PayPal account?

Norman in 't Veldt

osCommerce The Netherlands

but I would like for the items to be removed from the cart so that if the customer comes back it isn't there for them to purchase again unless they actually go and select the product to buy again. Any one know the answer to this one.

if what you say is true (and by the sounds of it from other people on the forum it IS true) then there isn't a way around it because the checkout must be completed by the checkout_process route.

If the customer misses the little 'return to mechant' link then that's that! You do obviously get an order in your orders and you do get a paypal payment email and so does the customer but the store to customer/order copy emails don't happen.

It's up to paypal to sort that out as they are being silly by allowing a situation like that to occur.

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

Surely my shop "should" send me the order no matter how the customer pays.

From what I can see the shop does update the order no matter which form of payment was made as that is where the IPN kicks in, getting copy emails is a different matter though.

Edited by chooch

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

When I click Continue on the CONFIRM page, I go to my Test Store just fine, but the total shows $0.

I've put in the debugging code for Sessions on the CONFIRM page and I see that the Cart ID is there, the total of 3.95 is correct... not sure why this stuff isn't passing to PayPal.

I have PayPalIPN v1.4 insallted, Register_Globals OFF, with all the patches installed - OSC has been working just fine up to the point of passing to PayPal.

Any thoughts?

Array
(
[cart] => shoppingcart Object
	(
		[contents] => Array
			(
				[28{6}14] => Array
					(
						[qty] => 1
						[attributes] => Array
							(
								[6] => 14
							)

)

)

[total] => 3.95
		[weight] => 50
		[cartID] => 91245
		[content_type] => physical
	)

[language] => english
[languages_id] => 1
[currency] => USD
[navigation] => navigationhistory Object
	(
		[path] => Array
			(
				[0] => Array
					(

=> checkout_shipping.php
						[mode] => NONSSL
						[get] => Array
							(
							)

[post] => Array
							(
								[action] => process
								[shipping] => pickup_pickup
								[comments] => 
								[x] => 50
								[y] => 18
							)

)

[1] => Array
					(

=> checkout_payment.php
						[mode] => NONSSL
						[get] => Array
							(
							)

[post] => Array
							(
							)

)

[2] => Array
					(

=> checkout_confirmation.php
						[mode] => NONSSL
						[get] => Array
							(
							)

[post] => Array
							(
								[payment] => paypal_ipn
								[comments] => 
								[x] => 42
								[y] => 8
							)

)

)

[snapshot] => Array
			(
			)

)

[customer_id] => 2
[customer_default_address_id] => 2
[customer_first_name] => Test
[customer_country_id] => 38
[customer_zone_id] => 67
[sendto] => 2
[cartID] => 91245
[comments] => 
[shipping] => Array
	(
		[id] => pickup_pickup
		[title] => Pick up - Calgary (Calgary, AB Store)
		[cost] => 0.00
	)

[billto] => 2
[payment] => paypal_ipn
[cart_PayPal_IPN_ID] => 91245-3
)

When I click Continue on the CONFIRM page, I go to my Test Store just fine, but the total shows $0. Any thoughts?

Check your currency - the 0 value usually occurs if your shop & your PayPal account have different currency restrictions or if you use the wrong abbreviation for the currency in your shop. Terra

My code for combining PayPal IPN with ** QTPro 4.25 ** osC Affiliate ** CCGV(trad)

and how to solve the invoice already paid error

General info: Allow customer to delete order comment ** FTP Programs & Text Editors ** Amending order email **

That was it, Terra! Thanks!

The world of currencies can get a little convoluted in OSC, so here's what I had to do:

1. See what code PayPal is using for your currency. Mine is Canadian, and PayPal uses CAD.

2. The Canadian country code in OSC says CAN.

3. I chose to configure the store to USE DEFAULT LANGUAGE CURRENCY (mid-way down in My Store config)

3. Then I go into my primary language file - in this case /includes/lanuages/english.php and I change the default currency to CAD (this HAS to match PayPal, not OSC)

4. Then I made the Canadian dollar my Default Currency (under Currency in the Localization config)

Now, everything is passing through to PayPal!! And I'm breathing a lot more easily...

I am now having a problem with orders being made but nothing being entered into paypal. There seem to be about 15 orders that are not showing up in paypal. I just can't believe that many people would get to the payment page and decide not to buy. BTW, the store has only been active for about 4 days. So 15 out of 63 orders is not good.

Is there any way to determine if a payment was not accepted? That might be one thing to look into.

Any thought?

Edited by spencermjax

...15 out of 63 orders is not good.

Is there any way to determine if a payment was not accepted? That might be one thing to look into.

I get about 10% that don't go through, and I'm not really surprised. 25% does seem a bit on the high side tho'. As far as I can see, if at least some of the transactions work, they should ALL work if the client completes. You get the emails from PayPal to check against. I don't think that PayPal would tell you anything about why a client's transaction was rejected or not completed - that's confidential between them surely.

Your shop has only been open a short while - I'd leave it running longer before making decisions based on your sales.

---john---

macanics,

Have you ever had a problem with customers claiming they completed the order even though you don't show anything in paypal?

For anyone else,

I found the this posting (here in this thread) and wondered if that is a change that needed to be made. I could not determine exactly what the change was for. My file does have the "befor" code. Just wondering.....

Hello,

Preparing [PayPal IPN] -- problem

I have the IPN contribution installed and it worked fine until September 15. I started seeing "some" orders as "Preparing [PayPal IPN]". I waited one day, then another...status didn't change.

I placed a call to Paypal, and they said it was a problem with the IPN contribution -- not their issue -- so I went through all my settings and confirmed according to documentation that everything was installed correctly and I wasn't missing any steps. I placed another call to Paypal, and customer service said they'd fix "whatever" needed to be fixed. They did that and orders were processed correctly.

Now...I'm seeing "Preparing [PayPal IPN]" again.

Some of my orders have been sitting like this since 10/30.

Any suggestions on what this might be and any possible solutions to solving this?

Thanks,

NDirge

this was the solution given:

change: (about #451 in V1.4 /include/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php )

include(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'order_total.php');

$order_total_modules = new order_total;

$order_totals = $order_total_modules->process();

$order_id = substr($cart_PayPal_IPN_ID, strpos($cart_PayPal_IPN_ID, '-')+1);

$sql_data_array = array('orders_id' => $order_id,

'orders_status_id' => $order->info['order_status'],

'date_added' => 'now()',

'customer_notified' => (SEND_EMAILS == 'true') ? '1' : '0',

'comments' => $order->info['comments']);

tep_db_perform(TABLE_ORDERS_STATUS_HISTORY, $sql_data_array);

to:

include(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'order_total.php');

$order_total_modules = new order_total;

$order_totals = $order_total_modules->process();

$order_id = substr($cart_PayPal_IPN_ID, strpos($cart_PayPal_IPN_ID, '-')+1);

$sql_data_array = array('orders_id' => $order_id,

'orders_status_id' => ((MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_IPN_ORDER_STATUS_ID > 0) ? MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_IPN_ORDER_STATUS_ID : DEFAULT_ORDERS_STATUS_ID),

'date_added' => 'now()',

'customer_notified' => (SEND_EMAILS == 'true') ? '1' : '0',

'comments' => $order->info['comments']);

tep_db_perform(TABLE_ORDERS_STATUS_HISTORY, $sql_data_array);

[/code]

When people pay via paypal it works fine, as iut should. However today someone paid via paypal but it was a Pending eCheque Payment. I received a paypal notice but no order from the store. It is not showing an order for this custiomer under Customer Orders in admin. When i log inot this customers account, it shows the product as his last purchase.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Its much appreciated.

macanics,

Have you ever had a problem with customers claiming they completed the order even though you don't show anything in paypal?

Never, which is not to say it may not be a problem for some...

For anyone else,

'orders_status_id' => ((MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_IPN_ORDER_STATUS_ID > 0) ? MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_IPN_ORDER_STATUS_ID : DEFAULT_ORDERS_STATUS_ID),

All this does is make sure that the PayPal Acknowledged Order Status that you set in Admin>Modules>Payment Modules>PayPal IPN is ignored and the shop-wide default value set in Admin>Localization>Order Status is used instead. I'm not sure why this makes a difference tho'.

---john---

When people pay via paypal it works fine, as iut should. However today someone paid via paypal but it was a Pending eCheque Payment. I received a paypal notice but no order from the store. It is not showing an order for this custiomer under Customer Orders in admin. When i log inot this customers account, it shows the product as his last purchase.

Now this is another problem that needs to be addressed. In the UK I don't think anyone uses paypal e cheques (dont even know what they are) but if the order is created the moment paypal ipn is selected in admin and then is deleted once echeque is used and customer is returned to store from paypal but customer history generates an order - then that is not good.

Edited by chooch

CHOOCH

Boy, am I full of questions/problems or what???

My client has gotten about 75 order since going live. Not one order in paypal has the shipping address. Any thought as to why the address entered on the site is not making it to paypal? this goes for either option, credit card or paypal account.

I need help getting Paypal IPN working with the Imprint Text Options contribution!

I have spent weeks with this. None of my clients orders are getting through because they don't click the return to merchant link at paypal. I have IPN installed and it works with all my other contributions, except the text options which is the most important because it is a custom stationary site. So, I can't use it yet. I have the product attributes contribution installed and that works with IPN so I know it can be done.

Is there anyone who could help me with this? The imprint text option post has the same questions posted with no responses ever. Please help!!

Karen

Agreed! Having both contribs working side by side would be excellent.

With the paypal contrib, in the very least, I capture those that don't clock the 'return to merchant' link. That's about 10-15% of my sales.

However, since 50% of my orders NEED a textbox filled out through the imprint (or option text) contribs, I can't use the Paypal IPN, because I would be missing an important part of the order, what they want imprinted.

If there was some way to have both working, someone would make MANY people VERY happy.

--KC

Edited by kpcasey

If there was some way to have both working, someone would make MANY people VERY happy.

That needs to be custom coded specifically keeping the contribution in mind - I can't see it being done by anyone in here in a rush. (without looking at the contribution concerned I can safely say) It can't be that hard to do because the whole order is carried forward so it can't be difficult to create/add the code to carry the textfield forward either.

Unfortunately there are many contributions that need something specific to paypal ipn, I guess we have to wait and see what future developers come up with. I have played around with IPN trying to get a whole host of things to work (that are specific to my demo sites or clients) ranging from discounts to texts but haven't had much joy yet...

Edited by chooch

CHOOCH

Hello, I tested PayPal for a while and never had a problem. However, today I went live and tried to use it and we received this error when selecting that option at checkout. Does anyone have any ideas what this means. Appreciate your help...

Warning: fopen(/hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment//948226-8-data.txt): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 367

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 368

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 369

Warning: openssl_pkcs7_sign(): error getting private key in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 374

Warning: unlink(/hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment//948226-8-data.txt): No such file or directory in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 376

Warning: file_get_contents(/hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment//948226-8-signed.txt): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 379

Warning: fopen(/hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment//948226-8-signed.txt): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 383

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 384

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 385

Warning: unlink(/hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment//948226-8-signed.txt): No such file or directory in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 391

Warning: file_get_contents(/hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment//948226-8-encrypted.txt): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 394

Warning: unlink(/hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment//948226-8-encrypted.txt): No such file or directory in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 398