• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Official PayPal IPN Support Thread

Mark Evans

Hm, ok, I believe I have set it up correctly. When my customers hit confirm order, they're taken to the paypal IPN page where they can fill out their info. It's a bit troublesome that they can't enter their credit card info right there, and that htey have to locate hte "don't have a paypal account?" button. Any fix to that?

Also, what's an easy and pain/cost free way to make sure it's setup correctly?

Has anyone developed a PHP script that will delete orders with a Preparing [PayPal IPN] status?

locust13,

You can use the PayPal sandbox (log into the PayPal Devloper Site and follow the instructions).

What you need to do is:

In the Sandbox:

1) Create an account for your Shop (with all the required email addresses attached).

(DO NOT assign a credit card number to this account. There is a way to generate credit card numbers that will work in the sandbox environment only. A credit card number can only be associated with one account.)

2) Create another account for your 'customer', this time use some fake email address.

In osCommerce PayPal (Credit Card / Debit) settings,

Set the Gateway Server to Testing (default setting)

Configure all the other things there

(If you intend to use encrypted transactions, I think you will require a seperate PayPal certificate from the one intend to use on the Live site)

Another way to test it (which is what I ended up doing), is to create an item that has a very small price, and use the live system. You will still need to have someone else make the purchase, since PayPal won't let you sell to yourself.

Cheers,

Nap

If the status doesn't update, PayPal cannot access ipn.php, or your change to it has caused a problem. The first step would be to verify that you can access ipn.php through your browser. It should bring up a blank page with no error messages. If you have enabled debug email, you should also receive an email message entitled "PayPal IPN Invalid Process". This message is generated whenever ipn.php cannot process the POST variables sent to it. When you access ipn.php from your browser, there are no POST variables, so you get the email.

If accessing ipn.php results in an error message displayed in the browser, you will need to find the cause of the error and fix it. At that point, real transactions should get updated status automatically.

--Glen

I'm having the same problem as samantha_Scor. I checked my ipn.php and and the page comes up blank. Looking at the order page it shows a lot of them still in processing I get a Paypal invoice but not a oscom invoice. This doesnt happen all the time sometimes it works just fine and I get both emails oscom/paypal. I just got an order that is till showing processing and I got a Paypal invoice and no oscom one here is what the invoice in the admin says

Date Added Customer Notified Status Comments

08/17/2006 16:52:53 X Processing PayPal IPN Verified [Completed (Unverified; $89.90)]

Thanks for any info you can give me.....

Edited by Howslow

I'm having the same problem as samantha_Scor. I checked my ipn.php and and the page comes up blank. Looking at the order page it shows a lot of them still in processing I get a Paypal invoice but not a oscom invoice. This doesnt happen all the time sometimes it works just fine and I get both emails oscom/paypal. I just got an order that is till showing processing and I got a Paypal invoice and no oscom one here is what the invoice in the admin says

08/17/2006 16:52:53 X Processing PayPal IPN Verified [Completed (Unverified; $89.90)]

Thanks for any info you can give me.....

That's what it's supposed to look like, if you changed the status for a completed PayPal IPN transaction to "Processing". If you leave it at "Default", the status will be "Pending". The status for a transaction that is currently being processed, or was abandoned when the customer got to PayPal is "Preparing [PayPal IPN]".

osCommerce doesn't send mail to the store owner unless you put your address in Admin->Configuration->My Store->"Send Extra Order Emails to". Because customers don't always click the Continue button at PayPal, you might not receive these emails. I would rely on the list in Admin->Customers->Orders to provide the list of successful orders, not Extra Order Emails. In my store, I use the default value of Pending to determine what needs to be packed and shipped. I delete orders with "Preparing [PayPal IPN]" after 24-48 hours.

--Glen

Hm, ok, I believe I have set it up correctly. When my customers hit confirm order, they're taken to the paypal IPN page where they can fill out their info. It's a bit troublesome that they can't enter their credit card info right there, and that htey have to locate hte "don't have a paypal account?" button. Any fix to that?

Also, what's an easy and pain/cost free way to make sure it's setup correctly?

PayPal works the way it works. If you want something that looks like a traditional credit card merchant gateway, you will need to look into some other payment module.

If you are in the US, PayPal offers a product that allows you to collect credit card information directly on your site and submit it to PayPal in a manner similar to a merchant account. It is called Website Payments Pro. They charge $20/month for the service, and payments go directly into your PayPal account. PayPal's business rules require that you offer something called Express Checkout simultaneously with the credit card offering. This allows PayPal account holders to check out without logging in to your store, which complicates the payment module a bit.

There is an osCommerce payment module that works with this service. It can be found at:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,3647

I use it and find that it works well for me. I didn't like the way that the developer implemented the Express Checkout option on the payment page, so I use the PayPal IPN contribution for users paying with their PayPal accounts.

--Glen

has there been any further update on how to pass the customer address details to the paypal system so that you cant tak eadvantage of seller protection

Things still to do before going "live" in no real order...

Change "buy now buttons" css styles

Change "lets see what we have here" into something meaningfull

Main logo of the website

Sort out currency to make site UK only (at present)

Remove "xx requests since" stuff

Update mainpage :D

Move shopping cart status into header

Add in stock status to product listing page

Define styles for product listing standardisation

Change CSS background for Headings

Increase Category size headings

Used mods so far:- basic_design_pack1mk7 | Google XML sitemap w admin | Paypal IPN v 1.2 | Feedmachine | pricematch_1_3_1 | Dynamic Sitemap 1.6 | Whos online Enhancement | Easypopulate 2.72

Each one that I solve I;ll be putting a post on the forum in a "completed shop" thread that Im writing up

I have some Preparing [PayPal IPN] that have gone thru and I get the email from my site.. below is what it is says.

Payment Method: PayPal (Credit Card / Debit)

No Order History Available

Here is a order that is Processing that went thru how come sometimes it says [Completed (Verified; $ and sometimes it says [Completed (Unverified; $)]. How does a order become verified ?

08/16/2006 18:37:36 Red X Processing PayPal IPN Verified [Completed (Verified; $65.95)]

08/16/2006 18:37:39 Green check mark Preparing [PayPal IPN]

Thanks for any info...

I have some Preparing [PayPal IPN] that have gone thru and I get the email from my site.. below is what it is says.

Payment Method: PayPal (Credit Card / Debit)

No Order History Available

Here is a order that is Processing that went thru how come sometimes it says [Completed (Verified; $ and sometimes it says [Completed (Unverified; $)]. How does a order become verified ?

08/16/2006 18:37:36 Red X Processing PayPal IPN Verified [Completed (Verified; $65.95)]

08/16/2006 18:37:39 Green check mark Preparing [PayPal IPN]

Thanks for any info...

Ok, Completed is means the money are already in your account, verified or unverified means whether the customer is a verified or unverfied customer to paypal, which mean no need to bother, hope this can help you!

I have installed paypal ipn module which has not gone live till now. I have few doubts which came in my mind while activating the module -

(1) I have two currencies on my website. USD and INR. INR is default currency. Paypal does not have INR as a currency. What should I select in Transaction currency. I am thinking of deleting USD as a currency before going live. Since, all the customers on my website will be from India and we do not ship outside India. Will IPN module work if I do so?

(2) What actually does "AGGREGATE" mean?

(3) I have no SSL installed on my site since all payment processing is done on paypal website with SSL. Now, what should I mention in "Your Private key, Your Public certificate, Paypals public certificate, Working directory & OpenSSL location." OpenSSL Location field contains "/usr/bin/openssl" by default. Also what to do with the identity token which I got from paypal while changing auto-return on Sandbox server.

Now, what should I mention in "Your Private key, Your Public certificate, Paypals public certificate, Working directory & OpenSSL location." OpenSSL Location field contains "/usr/bin/openssl" by default. Also what to do with the identity token which I got from paypal while changing auto-return on Sandbox server.

I'm still waiting on answers to this myself when I asked these questions back on page 65.....

Here are some instructions from my web host. You all owe me for this, getting them was like extracting teeth. Hope they are useful to you.

QUOTE:

We have setup the private and public Key. The path for those pem files are following,

/home/xyz/public_html/catalog/my-prvkey.pem

and /home/xyz/public_html/catalog/my-pubcert.pem

The remaining steps should be done by you. The steps are giving here,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

II. Paypal

1. Login to your Paypal account and click on the Profile tab.

2. Click on the link on the right for Encrypted Payment Settings under Selling Preferences.

3. Click on Download to download the Paypal Public Cert. Change the name after download to paypal_cert.pem.

4. Click on Add to upload your public cert – my-pubcert.pem and then click Add.

5. When you get back to the Website Payment Certificates screen, you will see a Cert ID which you willl need to type in later in OsCommerce.

6. Logout.

III. Oscommerce

1. Unzip the Paypal IPN files.

2. Upload the files under the Oscommerce folder in the right places with FTP.

3. Upload your public cert, private key, and the Paypal public cert to the /admin folder. That folder should be password protected by Web Protect in Cpanel.

4. Enable the Paypal IPN (Credit card Debit card) in the Oscommerce Admin panel.

5. Edit the IPN by clicking on Paypal (Credit card Debit card) then click on Edit.

6. Most of the fields are self-explanatory. The main ones are:

a. Email address – set to your seller email address on Paypal.

b. Gateway server – if you sign up as a developer at http://developer.paypal.com and then create two users in the Sandbox, you can test the IPN in Testing mode with dummy users and transactions before using it. This is for advanced users only. You may go straight to Live Site instead if this is too complicated for you. If you do choose to use the Sandbox, be aware that it uses a different Paypal public cert than the live site. The wrong paypal public cert will generate a 5302 error when testing.

c. Page Style – this can be selected at Paypal under your Profile.

d. Debug E-mail Address – an address to send errors to if using testing mode first. Be sure to delete the address here when done or it will keep sending emails.

e. Enable encrypted payments – set to true.

f. Your private key – the full home path to your private key ie like

/home/xyz/public_html/catalog/admin/my-prvkey.pem

g. Your public cert – the full home path to your public cert ie like

/home/xyz/public_html/catalog/admin/my-pubcert.pem

h. Paypals public certificate – the full home path to Paypal's public cert you uploaded ie like /home/xyz/public_html/catalog/admin/paypal_cert.pem

i. Your Paypal Public Certificate ID – the ID for the public cert you uploaded to Paypal.

j. Working directory – create a temp folder under your oscommerce folder and enter the full home path here

k. OpenSSL Location - /usr/bin/openssl (as per the server my web site is on)

l. Click on Update.

Cheers,

NAP

PS...... Has anyone developed a PHP script that will delete orders with a Preparing [PayPal IPN] status?

(Surely someone has done this, since everyone using this module has this problem.)

Edited by Nap BlownApart

Ok, Completed is means the money are already in your account, verified or unverified means whether the customer is a verified or unverfied customer to paypal, which mean no need to bother, hope this can help you!

Thanks for the info samantha_Scor ..

What do you think the reason is that I?m getting an invoice from my oscom site when it shows [Completed (Verified; $65.95)] and not getting invoices from when the status show [Completed (Unverified; $65.95)] ?

Thanks

Please note that I am on a 'shared SSL'.

However, that should not affect the basic information that is shown above.

Cheers,

Nap

PS...... Has anyone developed a PHP script that will delete orders with a Preparing [PayPal IPN] status?

(Surely someone has done this, since everyone using this module has this problem.)

Edited by Nap BlownApart

I have installed paypal ipn module which has not gone live till now. I have few doubts which came in my mind while activating the module -

(1) I have two currencies on my website. USD and INR. INR is default currency. Paypal does not have INR as a currency. What should I select in Transaction currency. I am thinking of deleting USD as a currency before going live. Since, all the customers on my website will be from India and we do not ship outside India. Will IPN module work if I do so?

(2) What actually does "AGGREGATE" mean?

(3) I have no SSL installed on my site since all payment processing is done on paypal website with SSL. Now, what should I mention in "Your Private key, Your Public certificate, Paypals public certificate, Working directory & OpenSSL location." OpenSSL Location field contains "/usr/bin/openssl" by default. Also what to do with the identity token which I got from paypal while changing auto-return on Sandbox server.

Nap BlownApart replied me regarding the third question. Still my first two questions remain unanswered.

Regarding the reply to Nap BlownApart, I would like to know what do I have to do If I don't have SSL. Also, Is it necessary to complete this fields. Cannot I leave them blank? Also, I would be thankful if anybody makes me understand this in simple language instead of technical language.

Edited by msbsindia

If you don't plan to use SSL, make sure 'Enable Encrypted Web Payments' is set to false.

Leave all the fields below it blank, since they won't be used.

I'm not sure if the 'Working Directory' is required when you're not using 'Enable Encrypted Web Payments', so put in a suitable folder path (just to be sure) and update the CHMOD settings are as required.

Cheers,

Nap

This thread reminds me of spagetti. How is someone supposed to keep track of a question they've raised?

Is it possible to create a sub-forum for this?

Cheers,

Nap

Edited by Nap BlownApart

Can you please explain me in detail - What is the use of "Working Directory".

If you don't plan to use SSL, make sure 'Enable Encrypted Web Payments' is set to false.

Leave all the fields below it blank, since they won't be used.

I'm not sure if the 'Working Directory' is required when you're not using 'Enable Encrypted Web Payments', so put in a suitable folder path (just to be sure) and update the CHMOD settings are as required.

Cheers,

Nap

I have two currencies on my website. USD and INR. INR is default currency. Paypal does not have INR as a currency. What should I select in Transaction currency. I am thinking of deleting USD as a currency before going live. Since, all the customers on my website will be from India and we do not ship outside India. Will IPN module work if I do so?

Does paypal have an INR as a currency on their website, ie can someone in india paypal you money at the moment? If not then you might not be able to use this.

The temp dir i think is for the Paypal ipn process. If it needs it then leave it be

Things still to do before going "live" in no real order...

Change "buy now buttons" css styles

Change "lets see what we have here" into something meaningfull

Main logo of the website

Sort out currency to make site UK only (at present)

Remove "xx requests since" stuff

Update mainpage :D

Move shopping cart status into header

Add in stock status to product listing page

Define styles for product listing standardisation

Change CSS background for Headings

Increase Category size headings

Used mods so far:- basic_design_pack1mk7 | Google XML sitemap w admin | Paypal IPN v 1.2 | Feedmachine | pricematch_1_3_1 | Dynamic Sitemap 1.6 | Whos online Enhancement | Easypopulate 2.72

Each one that I solve I;ll be putting a post on the forum in a "completed shop" thread that Im writing up

Why would you want to delete the Prepairing status? That is there so if they dont return back to your site after they pay you will have a copy of there order. So if it was deleted, and they paid but didnt return back then it defeats the whole point in even creating the prepairing status

Why would you want to delete the Prepairing status? That is there so if they dont return back to your site after they pay you will have a copy of there order. So if it was deleted, and they paid but didnt return back then it defeats the whole point in even creating the prepairing status

When this module is installed correctly, the status changes from Preparing to Pending (or what you select in the module's admin page) automatically after they hit the "Pay" button at PayPal, regardless of whether the customer returns to your site. Orders with "Preparing" status that are more than 5 minutes old are usually because the customer abandoned the order after clicking Confirm and reaching PayPal.

If you have to change the status manually after getting an email from PayPal notifying you of a payment, there is an error in your installation.

--Glen