• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Official PayPal IPN Support Thread

Mark Evans

As a follow up to this a customer has now told me that they were told the had already paid when in fact they hadn't.

Does this help narrow down the problem? I have done numerous tests using live payments and it works every time for me so I can't replicate the problem.

Christine

Hi All

I've been having a similar problem. Paypal IPN was working 100% (unlike Worldpay) until the change was made to turn Register Globals to off to close a security loophole.

Ever since then I am lucky if any of the paypal payments are properly updated. E-mails are received and the initial "Preparing [Paypal IPN]" record is created, but rarely does the record get updated to "pending".

I think that Register Globals is the key, but both I (a novice at this) and my hosting company can not work out why.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Derick

Hi All

I've been having a similar problem. Paypal IPN was working 100% (unlike Worldpay) until the change was made to turn Register Globals to off to close a security loophole.

Ever since then I am lucky if any of the paypal payments are properly updated. E-mails are received and the initial "Preparing [Paypal IPN]" record is created, but rarely does the record get updated to "pending".

I think that Register Globals is the key, but both I (a novice at this) and my hosting company can not work out why.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Derick

Derickt you are describing a problem that many people including myself are having a problem with...

Sorry but its late and I have only just come back to the thread, please can you explain a bit more about the "register globals" piece

Thank you

Nossum

Derickt you are describing a problem that many people including myself are having a problem with...

Sorry but its late and I have only just come back to the thread, please can you explain a bit more about the "register globals" piece

Thank you

Nossum

Hi

I am not technically up on all this but will try.

A security issue was identified with systems that have register globals enabled. The cure to this was therefore to disable register globals. This was done by my hosting company and ever since then the Paypal IPN has been consistently, with a few rare exceptions, failing to update orders to pending status. Customers therefore think their orders have not been created and i believe stock is not adjusted either.

It is so bad I am seriously considering taking the paypal option off my website which will leave me with Worldpay only, which will affect cashflow as Worldpay don't pay for 4 weeks.

as I understand it (following rummaging through the forums), the register globals setting does not in itself change anything regarding security, but instead prevents insecure coding being used. if such coding were used in the Paypal IPN then this could explain the problem, however my hosting company have been unable to find anything.

Hope this helps

Derick

Thank you

Nossum

I think that may be the same problems we are having. We reciantly switched servers, our new server has Registered Globals switched off and since then we have had a few payment problems that we didnt have before even though the setup is exactly the same as we had on the previous server.

Anyone know a way around this or is switching 'register globals' the only way to solve it?

Hi all,

I'm using the oscommerce-2.2ms2 version and the contribution: "osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v1.0 For 2.2MS2". I have a big problem with stock update when customers choose to pay with paypal. The IPN works well since I can see when a customer have paid with Paypal (typically: "Preparing [PayPal IPN]" in the admin section). BUT the stock isn't updated.

I've made several search here but I didn't find what's wrong. Is this contribution upate the stock? If not is someone has developped a small code to add ?

Thanks a lot,

Hi all,

I'm using the oscommerce-2.2ms2 version and the contribution: "osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v1.0 For 2.2MS2". I have a big problem with stock update when customers choose to pay with paypal. The IPN works well since I can see when a customer have paid with Paypal (typically: "Preparing [PayPal IPN]" in the admin section). BUT the stock isn't updated.

I've made several search here but I didn't find what's wrong. Is this contribution upate the stock? If not is someone has developped a small code to add ?

Thanks a lot,

Hi,

If your paypal orders are remaining at "preparing [paypal ipn]" then the paypal contribution is NOT working, in the same way that I am having a problem with it ever since Register Globals was turned off.

An order record is created when the customer leaves to pay by paypal, and when returned after payment the order status should be updated to "pending" and it is at this stage that the stock should be updated.

If the stock were updated when the customer leaves to make a payment, the stock would still be updated even if they get to paypal (or any other payment processing method) and do not complete for whatever reason (change their mind, transaction declined etc etc).

Welcome to the club of those needing Paypal IPN to update the status correctly once more.

Regards

Derick

Hi,

If your paypal orders are remaining at "preparing [paypal ipn]" then the paypal contribution is NOT working, in the same way that I am having a problem with it ever since Register Globals was turned off.

An order record is created when the customer leaves to pay by paypal, and when returned after payment the order status should be updated to "pending" and it is at this stage that the stock should be updated.

If the stock were updated when the customer leaves to make a payment, the stock would still be updated even if they get to paypal (or any other payment processing method) and do not complete for whatever reason (change their mind, transaction declined etc etc).

Welcome to the club of those needing Paypal IPN to update the status correctly once more.

Regards

Derick

Thanks for your reply,

But why when I'm doing a real (dummy, say 0.02 EUR) payment via the true PayPal website, the Paypal website redirect me (as I configured it) to the shop and on the shop I can see the success page. If I see the success page, then it's possible to update the stock easely, no?

Regards,

I don't think it works that way, that's just you being redirected back to the success page.

The effort to have that redirection contain the information necessary, and the succes page to process it, would far outweigh what should be a straightforward (ha ha) fix to something that was working 100% until Register Globals were turned off.

Regards

Derick

The problems we're having are similar to those posted prviously, although, for instance, last night we had 9 orders in total, 7 of those orders came through fine at the paypal end and in the admin section we recieved the order with customer info, address etc. But 2 of the orders, although we got the paypal payment we didnt get the customers details through at on the admin section of our site as we did with the previous 7 orders. It's like it works for some orders as it should then randomly fails on others. Really annoying as we then have to phone the customer to get shipping address and stuff, very un-proffesional!. We only started getting these problems when we switched to a new server with Register Globals turned off, even though the host has since added a php.ini file containing a string to turn register globals on which i thought may sort the errors but no joy as yet 8o/

Thanks guys,

But my server has

register_globals = On

in the php.ini. I can try whatever I want since my server is my computer. If I try to turn the register_globals to off state, the shop doesn't work anymore, it says

Server Requirement Error: register_globals is disabled in your PHP configuration. This can be enabled in your php.ini configuration file or in the .htaccess file in your catalog directory.

The effort to have that redirection contain the information necessary, and the succes page to process it, would far outweigh what should be a straightforward (ha ha)
I'm not sure at all about that. If I remember well I tried to cancel an order on the PayPal website, then return automaticaly, then I was not on the success page (I'm not talking about the php file, I'm talking about what I see on the screen).

I'll try again just to confirm.

A+

Ok, I've made some tests and for me the conclusion is that's not related with the php.ini file:

Here are the results:

1. I've bought a dummy piece, checked "pay with paypal", then been redirected to paypal website, there (after login) I've canceled the payment, then paypal redirected me to my webshop and there I was on the checkout page (nothing changed then)

2. Same things but I paid the dummy piece, then paypal redirected me to my webshop and there I was on the success page with my cart empty. Then all is working well since my cart was empty. The only thing is that the amount of the dummy pieces in stock was not decreased !

What do you think ?

Is there any problems of a Paypal Payment made but no record of the order? Seems a lady bought something, we got a paypal notice, but do no see the order in oscommerce. She does show up as a customer, but no order?

Thanks, Mike

Is there any problems of a Paypal Payment made but no record of the order? Seems a lady bought something, we got a paypal notice, but do no see the order in oscommerce. She does show up as a customer, but no order?

Thanks, Mike

I had only one order of this kind but I'don't remember if it was with Paypal payment or the transfert account.

Thanks, Mike

This is similar to what I get - except that I do get the order (just no email notification of it) - I get an email from Paypal saying I've been paid and when I look in admin the order is there - but OSCommerce doesn't send me or the customer a confirmation email.

and it doesn't happen on every order, and it only started happening about 1 week ago... and NOTHING has changed at my end (unless my hosts have changed the server)

Christine

I think the difference is that with the original PayPal, when a user goes through PayPal, they have to click a button to go back to the store. If they don't click the button, the transaction doesn't finish through osCommerce so you don't know what they bought. The PayPal contribution stores their shopping cart data and marks the order as 'Preparing - PayPal IPN'. When they go through Pay Pal and if they hit that 'back' button to return to your site, the status of the order is changed to 'Pending' or whatever you set your orders to. If not, it remains at 'Preparing'. Either way, you have the information about what they ordered. It's a great contribution because many customers fail to return to the store and their order info (except payment) gets lost. Keeps you from having to contact them about what they bought.

Hope that helps.

How can I check to see if I have an obsolete Paypal module?

Another curious feature of the current Paypal IPN problem is that it appears to update the site when making a refund. For some reason any payment refunded (even partially) will result in the original order having its status updated to "pending".

Why it can't do this for the original payment is a mystery to me, and having all refunds produce a pending order is a pain as I then have to find it and change the status back again. If I miss this, or someone prints the orders out before I do this, we could send goods out for free.

This is similar to what I get - except that I do get the order (just no email notification of it) - I get an email from Paypal saying I've been paid and when I look in admin the order is there - but OSCommerce doesn't send me or the customer a confirmation email.

and it doesn't happen on every order, and it only started happening about 1 week ago... and NOTHING has changed at my end (unless my hosts have changed the server)

Christine

Christine if you get an email at all from the OSCommerce IPN system does the order number show up as something like 'ser" or some random chacters in the email? I've been chasing this bug and the fact the inventory is not updated for weeks now and the "Official PayPal IPN Support Thread" seems to have NO support from the guys who wrote it.

This will make multiple postings Ive made about this problem.

Wondering if someone can help me out with this one?

I'm having a problem with the Paypal IPN's not showing in the orders screen on the admin page. When I first sign into admin I can see a total of "preparing paypal ipn's" on the left side of the screen. When I click orders under Customers I get nothing.

I'm guessing I have something very wrong, I just updated to 1.1 and turned off and on the module. I also tried switching to aggregate from per item and that didn't help.

Thanks,

-Cybin

Posted this ealier but in the wrong place

Just installed this module - thanks for nice easy install.

However, for every order I place as test buyer (sandbox), I am getting multiple Invalid [completed] messages:

Date Added Customer Notified Status Comments

03/16/2006 20:47:43 (ticked) Preparing [PayPal IPN]

03/16/2006 20:48:57 (cross) Pending PayPal IPN Invalid [Completed]

03/16/2006 20:50:12 (cross) Pending PayPal IPN Invalid [Completed]

Is this correct ? It seems payment comes through OK, but concerned/confussed that this happens, also these status are then visible to customer in their order history

Any ideas ?

Posted this ealier but in the wrong place

Just installed this module - thanks for nice easy install.

However, for every order I place as test buyer (sandbox), I am getting multiple Invalid [completed] messages:

Date Added Customer Notified Status Comments

03/16/2006 20:47:43 (ticked) Preparing [PayPal IPN]

03/16/2006 20:48:57 (cross) Pending PayPal IPN Invalid [Completed]

03/16/2006 20:50:12 (cross) Pending PayPal IPN Invalid [Completed]

Is this correct ? It seems payment comes through OK, but concerned/confussed that this happens, also these status are then visible to customer in their order history

Any ideas ?

Hi

The preparing part is correct. You can change this default message from within the paypal payment module. I initially changed mine to "awaiting payment" as some customers tried to make out that it menat they had paid when they had not. I however have changed mine back in case iti made any difference to the problem I am having with orders not being set to pending properly.

The other two entries are a cause for concern. There should only be the one as far as I am aware, and the word "invaliid" means there must be some sort of problem.

Unfortunately I am not technically up on this so can not tell you how to fix it.

Regards

Derick

Hi

The preparing part is correct. You can change this default message from within the paypal payment module. I initially changed mine to "awaiting payment" as some customers tried to make out that it menat they had paid when they had not. I however have changed mine back in case iti made any difference to the problem I am having with orders not being set to pending properly.

The other two entries are a cause for concern. There should only be the one as far as I am aware, and the word "invaliid" means there must be some sort of problem.

Unfortunately I am not technically up on this so can not tell you how to fix it.

Regards

Derick

Derick,

Thanks for trying,

Looking at the debug emails from PayPal, it looks like they are tring to send a Completed status, but OSc must be rejecting it for some reason.

Ok then.....

I'm confused. If there are so many problems with the PayPal IPN contrib, then I guess I shouldn't be using it?

I do have it set up in my paypal account to have the customer re-directed back to my site once payment is complete...

I guess, if with the stock PayPal module no order shows up in Osc, then I would have to make it routine to log into my PP account to see if any orders are there?

I already have a few contribs loaded into my store, and have to add the multi-vendor shipping one.... After awhile, some contribs "fight" over the same codes and I'm not php savvy enough to tweak as necessary.

So, if the PayPal IPN contrib is not worth the hassle, please let me know...so I have no less contrib to install. Plus, I have no clue which PayPal IPN conbrib to install - I don't know the difference between the several listed. Any insight as to which is which?

Ok then.....

I'm confused. If there are so many problems with the PayPal IPN contrib, then I guess I shouldn't be using it?

I do have it set up in my paypal account to have the customer re-directed back to my site once payment is complete...

I guess, if with the stock PayPal module no order shows up in Osc, then I would have to make it routine to log into my PP account to see if any orders are there?

I already have a few contribs loaded into my store, and have to add the multi-vendor shipping one.... After awhile, some contribs "fight" over the same codes and I'm not php savvy enough to tweak as necessary.

So, if the PayPal IPN contrib is not worth the hassle, please let me know...so I have no less contrib to install. Plus, I have no clue which PayPal IPN conbrib to install - I don't know the difference between the several listed. Any insight as to which is which?

Ive installed it and have no problems up to this point.Ive only had one order placed since the new paypal ipn is place, but all has been perfect for me.I say use it.