• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Official PayPal IPN Support Thread

Mark Evans

Sounds like you created your sandbox fake paypal account with the same email address that you have set in your paypal ipn module in osc. You can't do that apparently. You need to create an account as if you were some Joe user coming to your site.

For example, if your real PayPal email address is [email protected] and that is what you have set your PayPal IPN payment module to use, then when you login as a customer to the sandbox, create an account with an email address like [email protected].

I wondered the exact same thing about the CC info. I thought it was pretty stupid, but I guess PayPal is using their real code but just in a testing environment. Therefore you have to put in a valid CC number for it to pass validation.

Log into the sandbox account, go to adminster accounts, then the dummy account, go to the profile section, then the credit cards section and hit the add a new card button. Ths sandbox will give you a fake Credit card number and info to use.

Thanks Gary & Kris for chiming in, I have been banging my head with this "easy" module for over a week.

Yes Kris, I stated earlier in this thread that my ipn module email = sandbox email, so now per your comment I changed ipn module email = store paypal account email.

Per Gary's comment, I logged into sandbox paypal > profile > financial > credit card > add new card

latest test: log in as a user > add cart > confirm order > paypal checkout page > log in with sandbox email account, now I get this message:

This invoice has already been paid. For more information, please contact the merchant.

Is that how this checkout supposed to work?

Do you not expect to be returned to the store after checkout?

Per Gary's comment, I logged into sandbox paypal > profile > financial > credit card > add new card

latest test: log in as a user > add cart > confirm order > paypal checkout page > log in with sandbox email account, now I get this message:

I was getting the same message until I realized I had to create a Fake user (buyer) AND a Fake Business (seller) profile or account. in the PayPal sandbox. BOTH can not use any email address in your "Real" account.

Then in the test setup of osCommerce I used the "Fake" sellers email in the IPN configuration section "The e-mail address to use for the PayPal IPN service", Be sure you have "Gateway Server" set to Testing and you actually logged into the sandbox in a separate browser window.

Then go through a purchase as the Fake buyer. It works for me.

NOW I have a bug in mine that I cant seem to find....

The emails sent to buyers from osCommerce are erratic and or are missing information when using the PayPal IPN Module.

Sales made using the "Check/Money Order Module" work perfectly.

However as I said any made using the "PayPal IPN Module" either do not send any email at all or the 'Order number" is a couple random characters.

Now for the kicker.... If I test via the sandbox it all works perfectly.

If I purchase an item using "my personal" real confirmed and verified Paypal account it works perfectly.

However when anyone else pays via PayPal I get the email bug as I said.

Also the product inventory counts are not updated and the "Best Products Purchased" is not updated.

Anyone got any suggestions where to look? I've tried every fix or suggestion I can find in the forums for about a week now. I am very new to PHP but learn quickly if pointed in the right direction.

Since I have my own email server control it was easy... I used [email protected] and [email protected]

Edited by ATVUtah

I have just setup my store and am beginning to get a few orders. I guess things are working as I am getting paid. :D

However, not being familiar with all the terms used in the module and the paypal setup associated with it, could someone PLEASE make a 'HowTo' set this module up in OSC and PayPal. Maybe I have things right but I am not 100% sure.

I see the same questions I have being asked over and over and no real answers.

Thanks!!

Mercifully, I have gotten this sandbox to work with official osCommerce ipn module. It took me over a week, and a call to paypal developer support, and the help of Khenn and ATVUtah, many thanks, to get it to work only because the install instructions for this module absolutely stink, and suffice to say that some members shamelessly ignore PMs even though we see them online. To save others the pain I had to endure, I will provide a step by step install instructions below:

Setting up ipn module to work with sandbox:

1. first you must create a developer account:
    go to https://developer.paypal.com/ > signup with > use a real email address to which you have access say [email protected]
  2. login to access [email protected] to obtain paypal developer confirmation email, click the link
    now you should be at https://developer.paypal.com/ >
  3. login with your developer email and password
  4. go to sandbox tab : it should be empty , you need to create one fake seller account and one fake buyer account.
  5. click create account, create a fake seller account, biz account, use a fake email address, say [email protected], record both email and password you use.
  6. go to profile . add a credit card, sandbox will automatically create a fake credit card account
  7. add a bank account, name it fakesellerbank , sand box will automatically create a fake bankaccount.
  8. you can also customize the look of checkout, go to profile > selling preferences > custom payment pages> add > specify your own page and give it a name, mypage, make it primary.
  9. logout
  10. go back to your sandbox or start a new session at https://developer.paypal.com/
  11. go to sanbox, now create fake buyer account, , say [email protected]
  12. repeat the process we went through for seller. Use a personal account here.
    record email address and password.
  13. logout
  14. go back to sandbox session > go to email tab
  15. you should see 1 email to confirm, 1 email to verify for each fake buyer and fake seller accounts.
  16. confirm email for buyer and seller
  17. verify bank account for buyer and seller
  18. now go back into your sandbox: you should now see fakeseller and fakebuyer email accounts both confirmed and verified. If not you have missed something, go back and reread these steps.

Now log in to your store admin to specify PayPal IPN parameters in admin/modules.php?set=payment&module=paypal_ipn

Enable PayPal IPN Module: True

E-Mail Address : sandbox account email address , [email protected]

Transaction Currency: Only USD

Payment Zone: --none--

Set Preparing Order Status: Preparing [PayPal IPN]

Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status : Processing

Gateway Server: Testing

Transaction Type: Per Item

Page Style: mypage

Debug E-Mail Address:

Sort order of display: 0

Enable Encrypted Web Payments: False

Your Private Key:

Your Public Certificate:

PayPals Public Certificate:

Your PayPal Public Certificate ID:

Working Directory: temp/

OpenSSL Location: /usr/bin/openssl

Test Paypal IPN module with your sandbox Procedure:

1. close out all sessions above. start clean.
  2. You must have an active sandbox session open, log in to sandbox at https://developer.paypal.com/ and minimize browser.
  3. create a fake account (can be the same as fake buyer sandbox email) in your store.
  4. log in to your store with fake buyer account.
  5. select an item and add it to my cart then shopping_cart.php > checkout_shipping.php > checkout_payment.php >
  6. checkout_confirmation.php (confirm order) takes you to https://www.sandbox.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr
    You should see your custom paypal checkout page.
  7. view cart details should have correct cart items.
  8. the bottom of checkout page has Paypal Log in asking for email address and password.
  9. login with [email protected] and password
    click buy
  10. you should be returned back to your store.
  11. expand the sandbox you had minimized > refresh browser > go to email tab > you should have recieved order confirmation emails to both fakeseller and fakebuyer.

Mercifully, I have gotten this sandbox to work with official osCommerce ipn module. It took me over a week, and a call to paypal developer support, and the help of Khenn and ATVUtah, many thanks, to get it to work only because the install instructions for this module absolutely stink, and suffice to say that some members shamelessly ignore PMs even though we see them online. To save others the pain I had to endure, I will provide a step by step install instructions below:

Setting up ipn module to work with sandbox:

1. first you must create a developer account:
    go to <a href="https://developer.paypal.com/" target="_blank">https://developer.paypal.com/</a> > signup with > use a real email address to which you have access say [email protected]

2. login to access [email protected] to obtain paypal developer confirmation email, click the link
    now you should be at <a href="https://developer.paypal.com/" target="_blank">https://developer.paypal.com/</a> >

3. login with your developer email and password

4. go to sandbox tab : it should be empty , you need to create one fake seller account and one fake buyer account.

5. click create account, create a fake seller account, biz account, use a fake email address, say [email protected], record both email and password you use.

6. go to profile . add a credit card, sandbox will automatically create a fake credit card account

7. add a bank account, name it fakesellerbank , sand box will automatically create a fake bankaccount.

8. you can also customize the look of checkout, go to profile > selling preferences > custom payment pages> add > specify your own page and give it a name, mypage, make it primary.

9. logout

10. go back to your sandbox or start a new session at <a href="https://developer.paypal.com/" target="_blank">https://developer.paypal.com/</a>

11. go to sanbox, now create fake buyer account, , say [email protected]

12. repeat the process we went through for seller. Use a personal account here.
    record email address and password.

13. logout

14. go back to sandbox session > go to email tab

15. you should see 1 email to confirm, 1 email to verify for each fake buyer and fake seller accounts.

16. confirm email for buyer and seller

17. verify bank account for buyer and seller

18. now go back into your sandbox: you should now see fakeseller and fakebuyer email accounts both confirmed and verified. If not you have missed something, go back and reread these steps.

Now log in to your store admin to specify PayPal IPN parameters in admin/modules.php?set=payment&module=paypal_ipn

Test Paypal IPN module with your sandbox Procedure:

1. close out all sessions above. start clean.

2. You must have an active sandbox session open, log in to sandbox at <a href="https://developer.paypal.com/" target="_blank">https://developer.paypal.com/</a> and minimize browser.

3. create a fake account (can be the same as fake buyer sandbox email) in your store.

4. log in to your store with fake buyer account.

5. select an item and add it to my cart then shopping_cart.php > checkout_shipping.php > checkout_payment.php >

6. checkout_confirmation.php (confirm order) takes you to <a href="https://www.sandbox.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" target="_blank">https://www.sandbox.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr</a>
    You should see your custom paypal checkout page.

7. view cart details should have correct cart items.

8. the bottom of checkout page has Paypal Log in asking for email address and password.

9. login with [email protected] and password
    click buy

10. you should be returned back to your store.

11. expand the sandbox you had minimized > refresh browser > go to email tab > you should have recieved order confirmation emails to both fakeseller and fakebuyer.

I'm guessing the the above works in 'real life' after being taken out of test mode. What are your paypal settings for the fake seller account for 'Instant Payment Notification' and 'Website Payments', etc.?

Thanks!!

I'm guessing the the above works in 'real life' after being taken out of test mode. What are your paypal settings for the fake seller account for 'Instant Payment Notification' and 'Website Payments', etc.?

Thanks!!

You do not need to set anything for fakeseller account Paypal profile settings > payment prefernces > IPN & website payments. That is why there is no mention of these in Setting up ipn module to work with sandbox: 1 thru 18 above.

You do not need to set anything for fakeseller account Paypal profile settings > payment preferences > IPN & website payments. That is why there is no mention of these in Setting up ipn module to work with sandbox: 1 thru 18 above.

You also do not need to set any of those preferences in your real PayPal account either... dohh that's another goof I made early on and it's not mentioned in the installation instructions either.

I made the mistake of assuming that since I was going to use IPN I had to turn it on in PayPal, BIG mistake!

hello community,

a big question to u all. i am running a store here in germany with paypal_ipn module. everything works fine, only one thing that stops international customers from buying:

when they are forwarded to paypal-page the paypal-page always is in german and not in their language, although they selected my osc-shop to be displayed i.e. in english.

so my question: how can it be done to display paypal-site in the language that the customer was using in the osc-store.

would be very glad if someone could help me.

thanks a lot

Does this work with oscommerce-2.2ms2-051113 ?

I am testing with sandbox and no encryption. On the return from PayPal the status stays at "Preparing [PayPal IPN]" and is not updated to "Processing" as set in Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status.

Also where is the order written on the server and at what point does that happen?

I have installed this contribution and used both the sandpit and live paypal servers using small amounts (eg 00.01)

I get confirmation and email confirmation that payment has been processed

I cannot get the confirmation side to work. That is the status remains at

Preparing [PayPal IPN]

I have configured the IPN setup in paypal with the full http address to

http..........catalog/ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn/ipn.php

I have read in the thread that the contribution does this anyway and have removed the instructions from the paypal configuration. I have read through the code but cannot satisfy myself that this is the case

I do not recieve any debug emails

Please can anybody give me some guidance on this. Do I include the instruction in paypal (and is it correct) or does the code do this for me? Second any ideas on where I am going wrong generally?

Another item

I make the purchase cycle and return to OSC and "click to continue". I remain logged on and make a further purchase. I go to checkout and paypal says

This invoice has already been paid. For more information, please contact the merchant.

I have to log out and log on again to clear the error

Can any one suggest what is happening please?

Enable PayPal IPN Module

True

E-Mail Address

[email protected]

Transaction Currency

Only GBP

Payment Zone

--none--

Set Preparing Order Status

Preparing [PayPal IPN]

Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status

Gateway Server

Live

Transaction Type

Aggregate

Page Style

PayPal

Debug E-Mail Address

[email protected]

Sort order of display.

Enable Encrypted Web Payments

False

Your Private Key

Your Public Certificate

PayPals Public Certificate

/xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxx/catalog/paypal_cert/

Your PayPal Public Certificate ID

xxxxxxxxxxxx.plus.com

Working Directory

/xxxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/catalog/temp/

OpenSSL Location

Thank you

Nossum

After some testing, in the sandbox, I think I have discovered an interesting 'bug'.

I have 2gether installed as well as the Paypal IPN contribution. When confirming an order that contains a 2gether discount the converted value passed to Paypal isn't reflecting the discount - but the 'sub-total' price before the 2gether discount is taken into effect.

Here are the results from the IPN email:

Store (converted) order Total: 255.02 (USD) <- this is the 2gether discounted order total
PayPal MC Total: 260.02 (USD) <- this is the amount passed and charged by paypal

:blink:

It seems that the value sent to paypal is not taking the 2gether discount into account. I may be missing something (it's been known to happen) but I think I've looked everywhere in the code and in the forums for a solution.

Does anyone have an idea why the discounted 2gether value isn't being passed to Paypal?

I have installed this contribution and used both the sandpit and live paypal servers using small amounts (eg 00.01)

I get confirmation and email confirmation that payment has been processed

I cannot get the confirmation side to work. That is the status remains at

I have configured the IPN setup in paypal with the full http address to

I have read in the thread that the contribution does this anyway and have removed the instructions from the paypal configuration. I have read through the code but cannot satisfy myself that this is the case

I do not recieve any debug emails

Please can anybody give me some guidance on this.

Further to my original post I have completely removed and reinstalled this contribution, but I am still getting this problem. I am loathe to open for business without having got to the bottom of this, so I would be very grateful for guidance

Thank you

Nossum

I have installed the OSC IPN Module since the paypal module shipped with OSC was not adding the orders into the database.

However now the IPN does this it the price displayed when you go to the checkout is the price ex tax but with the default paypal module it showed the price inc the tax.

I need to be able to show the price on paypal with tax, can this be done and how?

Also what URL should the return value in paypal be set to?

Cheers

Nikumba

I have installed the OSC IPN Module since the paypal module shipped with OSC was not adding the orders into the database.

However now the IPN does this it the price displayed when you go to the checkout is the price ex tax but with the default paypal module it showed the price inc the tax.

I need to be able to show the price on paypal with tax, can this be done and how?

Also what URL should the return value in paypal be set to?

Cheers

Nikumba

Tax. Have you set "display prices with tax" in admin mystore?

Paypal. The location that ipn.php is in (I think - perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can confirm or deny) This would normally be "catalog/ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn/". I think Mibble made reference to this file in the thread as it is this file that handles the communication from Paypal

Cheers

Nossum

I am still having troubles with the emails sent to buyers and the OSC IPN Module is not updating the product inventory counts or products sold counts for the reports section.

When or if the ipn module does send an email to the customer where the email should list the current order number in the email it simply says "ser" not a number.

NOW occasionally it works and put in the right order number.

It's happening so randomly I cant seem to figure out why.

The problem with it not updating the inventory is for every order placed and paid via the OSC IPN Module and PayPal. None of the inventroy counts are updated in the database when the order is processed.

Those sales made paying with the Cash/Money Order module work perfectly with every function.

I have removed and completely reinstalled the OSC IPN Module several times but nothing fixes it.

I only have the usps_shippinglabel_1.7c_1, osCommerce-PayPal_IPN-v1.1, Featured Products, and Simple_Down_for_Maintenance installed.

Any Ideas where to look? Are there any known conflicts with any other modules?

Having a problem with osc not passing shipping charge to paypal.

I've also installed the patch to make sure that tax amount is passed on to paypal. The correct item total and tax is displayed but shipping amount is listed as $0.00 on the paypal payment page. OSC correctly displays the shipping it just changes to $0.00 once you are directed to the page to make your paypal payment.

Can anyone offer any ideas on what I should check out to find my error?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions -- Mindy

Having a problem with osc not passing shipping charge to paypal.

I've also installed the patch to make sure that tax amount is passed on to paypal. The correct item total and tax is displayed but shipping amount is listed as $0.00 on the paypal payment page. OSC correctly displays the shipping it just changes to $0.00 once you are directed to the page to make your paypal payment.

Can anyone offer any ideas on what I should check out to find my error?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions -- Mindy

Sorry for the dbl post -- Further info when testing in sandbox shipping was correctly passed to paypal this problem is only happening in Live mode.

Hi all

I have a question about the method how the Paypal_IPN module handle the checkout process with the paypal site:

I run my store in an IFRAME. I just tested the function of the paypal module. I have now encounter a problem after the the payment has finished: The rebound from paypal to my shop didn't work correctly, because on the paypal return link there is of course no target frame specified!

Question: Does anybody know how to specify the target frame on the return link, or better how I can change the behaviour of the payment module for that it loads the Paypal payment page in a new window insted of the shop window. However, after successful payment this window of course should close and proceed the payment process in the main brower window to the last step (confirmation of purchase).

Thanks for your hints!

Philippe

Edited by fippu82

I have read almost the entire contribution support and am either really confused, or I missed something.

1) what is the difference between the PayPal_Shopping_Cart_IPN and the osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v1.0 For 2.2MS2? There was a question earlier, but the answer only addressed the default paypal module versus IPN.

2) I can't seem to get IPN to work correctly.

Referring to the osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v1.0 For 2.2MS2: I am a novice so I don't understand all the assumptions made about installing these contributions... I have re-installed each of the contributions from the first one. If I use the files as is, I always get the "this payment has already been made" on paypal's side.

I found advice to take out this line in paypal_ipn.php (line 338):

$parameters['invoice'] = substr($cart_PayPal_IPN_ID, strpos($cart_PayPal_IPN_ID, '-')+1);

and replace with:

$parameters['invoice'] = $cart_PayPal_IPN_ID;

is this going to break anything else?

assuming not, then this did allow me to get past the "payment already made" (although I don't know why the invoice is always negative now... ), but now my order never gets past the "Preparing" status. When I look at my sandbox accounts, I can see the payment was made by the fake consumer, but the fake store owner never gets the payment, so I'm assuming the payment was never cleared. what is going on, and can someone give directions on what to change? I have not customized anything in the oscommerce setup except adding the IPN info.

This contrib is useless in my opinion, been trying to get to work for ages, and this support thread is the worst I've ever seen, why do the authors not even acknowledge the problems with what they have created?

Hi

I have had Paypal IPN working hunky dory for some time now and I haven't made any amendments to my store for ages.

A couple of weeks ago a customer placed the order - I only knew about it because I got the Paypal payment notification - the order was created in my store and had the message "No PayPal Transaction Information Available (fa67615471cc424cf539dfe8f882c00b)" in the Paypal message box - the status was left as Pending. So I got the payment, the order was created but I didn't get any email confirmation of the order - I guess somehow the IPN didn't get back to OSCommerce? is that what happened.

A few days later the same customer ordered again - and it all worked perfectly - I assumed the first time she must've not returned to the store or something and didn't worry about it.

Today another customer ordered and the same thing happened, then tonight the original customer ordered again and the same thing happened.

I have tried two 'live' test orders - the first I used my Paypal account and it all worked fine, the second I said I didn't have a Paypal account and it worked fine - in neither case did I bother doing the 'return to Merchant' so its not that.

Any ideas? Is it something the customers are doing wrong? or an intermittent fault - because inbetween these failures I have had successful orders.

Christine

Edited by xtinexoop