• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Official PayPal IPN Support Thread

Mark Evans

The reason I asked is because I am using it also and I do not have a status "PayPal Acknowledged Order Status". I assume these are your own words for one of the status levels.

In mine, when PayPal has sent the IPN ack, mine changes from Preparing, to pending.

Then I can change it to processing to indicate my acknowledgement of PayPal's acceptance, then change it to delivered when I ship.

Rik Rasmussen

The reason I asked is because I am using it also and I do not have a status "PayPal Acknowledged Order Status". I assume these are your own words for one of the status levels.

In mine, when PayPal has sent the IPN ack, mine changes from Preparing, to pending.

Then I can change it to processing to indicate my acknowledgement of PayPal's acceptance, then change it to delivered when I ship.

"PayPal Acknowledged Order Status" is the setting name in the payment module settings. Could be "pending", "processing", "paypal ok!" lol. Just the setting name for what to put the status to when paypal give the "a-ok".

Hi Rik

Could you please post your settings? To compare.

Because we get the wrong order status after the IPN ack.

Yes Rikr,

we want to know how you got the status as you have mentioned above. Our's seems to be the opposite of yours. Does it have to do with the Enable Encrypted Web Payments field? Because for my set up, I have set it to false.

Thanks

Sandbxo settings:

PayPal IPN

Enable PayPal IPN Module

True

E-Mail Address

[email protected]

Transaction Currency

Only USD

Payment Zone

--none--

Set Preparing Order Status

Preparing [PayPal IPN]

Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status

Pending

Gateway Server

Testing

Transaction Type

Per Item

Page Style

Debug E-Mail Address

[email protected]

Sort order of display.

Enable Encrypted Web Payments

True

Your Private Key

/home/xxxxxxx/public_html/pp/twowayradiodirectory.com.key

Your Public Certificate

/home/xxxxxxx/public_html/pp/twowayradiodirectory.com.crt

PayPals Public Certificate

/home/xxxxxxx/public_html/pp/paypal_cert_pem.txt

Your PayPal Public Certificate ID

HC6YQQCxxxxxxxx

Working Directory

/home/xxxxxxx/public_html/catalog/temp/

OpenSSL Location

/usr/bin/openssl

Rik Rasmussen

Is everyone aware that the Paypal IPN is hosed on Paypals end?

Don't kill yourself on problems that are on their end. For more details:

PayPal message concerning IPN problems:

http://www.paypaldev.org/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8325

Edited by RikR

Rik Rasmussen

Seems that the most recent paypal problems is the duplicated messages of "PayPal IPN Verified [Completed]".

Mine is worse, my duplicated messages are "PayPal IPN Invalid [Completed]" and status is "Pending". What is mean by Invalid and yet it is Completed? In confuses me and my customers (at the order history screen).

On this thread, I read that post #156 (rezdwan), #158 (Jon). #161 (mike) have similar problems as me but no news from them after their complains and so I wonder whether they have solved their problem.

Rik, thx for informing us that Paypal is looking into the issue.

Seems that the most recent paypal problems is the duplicated messages of "PayPal IPN Verified [Completed]".

Mine is worse, my duplicated messages are "PayPal IPN Invalid [Completed]" and status is "Pending".  What is mean by Invalid and yet it is Completed?  In confuses me and my customers (at the order history screen).

On this thread, I read that post #156 (rezdwan), #158 (Jon). #161 (mike) have similar problems as me but no news from them after their complains and so I wonder whether they have solved their problem.

Rik, thx for informing us that Paypal is looking into the issue.

You are right. We should have done a follow-up on the complain for the benefit of others. Here goes. The problem seems to come from PayPal end and not ours. It seems that they updated something and everything went bonkers! So they have revert back to the old system (or something to that effect), and all the problem stopped. As for me, it stopped about a few hours after it began.

Thanks

FWIW, PayPal's documentation has always recommended that the ipn script should check to see whether the transaction has already been processed, and PayPal did request that those who did not want to receive duplicate notifications should contact them to be excluded.

"Any fool can know. The point is to understand." -- Albert Einstein

Ahhh... It seems that I am not the only one with the problem. As PandA.nl had said, we can leave it be since everything looks fine but it's just not right. My other concern is when the customers sees this in their account. It can be confusing. Right?

I am having the exact same problem.

Unfortunately, I run a digital download site, and it is a show-stopper when the final order status is not set to "Delivered" after we have received payment for a product.

When I view one of these problematic orders, I see the following:

Date Added 	 Customer Notified 	 Status 	 Comments
02/09/2005 16:27:25  False  Delivered  PayPal IPN Verified [Pending (Unverified; $3.00); unilateral] 
02/09/2005 16:27:29  True  Preparing [PayPal IPN]  

So the 'Preparing' status is getting set AFTER the 'Delivered' status. When this happens, our customers cannot download purchased goods, as the download script checks the most recent order status.

Anybody have any ideas on this one? I feel it can't be too complicated.

Thanks in advance!

- Eric

So the 'Preparing' status is getting set AFTER the 'Delivered' status.  When this happens, our customers cannot download purchased goods, as the download script checks the most recent order status.

I just tried downgrading my ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn/ipn.php from "osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v1.1 For 2.2MS2" to "osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v1.0 For 2.2MS2", but this did not make a difference.

- Eric

I just tried downgrading my ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn/ipn.php from "osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v1.1 For 2.2MS2" to "osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v1.0 For 2.2MS2", but this did not make a difference.

- Eric

I apologize for replying to myself in a frenzy, but I have some more info.

Part of my problem had absolutely nothing to do with the PayPal IPN module. Embarassingly it was caused by the download files not existing on my development server. :)

But there is still an issue (indirectly) with this module.

After clicking "Continue" at PayPal and being redirected back to checkout_success.php, the variable $products_array does not exist, so osC is unable to present a list of products for which to enable notification. Also, $last_order does not exist, so includes/modules/downloads.php is unable to present the download links.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks folks.

- Eric

Can anybody help on the status not being updated. Nobody seems to be helping with this problem.

I have noticed that it is not just me with this problem.

Let me explain again.

I have intstalled the IPN module and tested it with the sandbox. The order goes through the payment is made and the order is set to Preparing [Paypal IPN]. I wait and wait and wait and nothing happens.

What gives

I'll go along with this, someone please answer the dozens and dozens of people asking the same question.

Its so common there should be a stick on this one, if theres an answer.

PLEASE.

I would VERY MUCH appreciate if one of the team members could look at this thread on the Paypal forum, especially tonight's messages.

http://www.paypaldev.org/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8423

PayPal is saying there is not a problem on their end.

I am exhausted from chasing this. I am caught in the middle and do not know enough to say where the problem is.

I know that it is not working for me, and this is the only issue keeping me from opening my store.

Rik Rasmussen

Okay... i know installed it... and i have one question... is there a way to pass the shipping address to Paypal? Because the details of the transaction in Paypal say "No address provided" and nothing is sent in the Paypal email notification...

k

Yes, there is. I wrote a code snippet that does this because it was driving our customers crazy. I'm calling it the PayPal Form Prepopulator (PFP) :D and you can download the code here, or just copy/paste is from the text below. Enjoy!

PayPal Form Prepopulator (PFP) 1.0 by hostmistress :: 20050210

Tested with osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v1.0 and v1.1 For 2.2MS2

Purpose:

Make the osCommerce PayPal IPN contribution prepopulate the PayPal order form with customer name, billing address, properly formatted country code and abbreviated state code (when country code = US).

How to install:

1) Save a backup copy of paypal_ipn.php

2) Open paypal_ipn.php

3) Locate this line:

$parameters['bn'] = $this->identifier;

4) Insert BEFORE line above:

// Add missing variables to prepopulate PayPal form. -- hostmistress 20050210

$parameters['first_name'] = $order->billing['firstname'];

$parameters['last_name'] = $order->billing['lastname'];

$parameters['address1'] = $order->billing['street_address'];

$parameters['address2'] = $order->billing['suburb'];

$parameters['city'] = $order->billing['city'];

if ($order->billing['country']['iso_code_2']=='US') {

$order->billing['state'] = tep_get_zone_code($order->billing['country_id'], $order->billing['zone_id'], $order->billing['state']);

}

$parameters['state'] = $order->billing['state'];

$parameters['zip'] = $order->billing['postcode'];

$parameters['country'] = $order->billing['country']['iso_code_2'];

//  End missing variable contribution. -- hostmistress 20050210

5) Save and close paypal_ipn.php

Kristina's snippet (above) works and is very good for non-PayPal members who want to use PayPal for payment. Make things a lot easier for them.

However, for non-PayPal members, at the last PayPal page where they are supposed to press "Pay", right below the section of Shopping Cart Contents, there is this sentence saying Shipping Address: No Shipping Address and a button for you to "Make Changes".

I clicked the button and checked that the prepopulated address is correct, save it to go back to the last payment page. But it is still showing Shipping Address: No Shipping Address!

My clients tried this "Making Changes" button for the shipping address a few times. No change was made and he decided to quit the purchase because he thought that his shipping address was not accepted!

I read in this thread (several pages ago) that some of you have this problem of no shipping address for non paypal members at the last payment page. Anybody found a solution for this?

Kristina's snippet (above) works and is very good for non-PayPal members who want to use PayPal for payment.  Make things a lot easier for them.

However ...

Make sure the no_shipping line is set to zero:

$parameters['no_shipping'] = '0';

I just bought something on our store and checked the PayPal merchant history:

Total Amount: 

$0.01 USD

Shipping: 

$0.00 USD

Handling: 

$0.00 USD

Total Amount: 

$0.01 USD

Fee Amount: 

-$0.01 USD

Net Amount: 

$0.00 USD

Invoice ID: 

Custom: 

Date: 

Feb. 10, 2005

Time: 

22:20:23 PST

Completed

Seller Protection Policy: 

Eligible

Attn. Sellers: 

You must ship to the address shown below to be protected under PayPal's Seller Protection Policy.

Shipping Address:

Firstname Lastname

My Address

My city, CA 99999

United States

Confirmed

Payment Type: 

Instant

Maybe there's a cookie problem with some users? Anyway, it works for me (knock wood) and I can live with this until MS3 is released. I'll probably tinker with the IPN stuff a bit more to make it more tightly integrated, but I'm hanging back to see what the core osC team does first.

Yes, there is. I wrote a code snippet that does this because it was driving our customers crazy. I'm calling it the PayPal Form Prepopulator (PFP) :D and you can download the code here, or just copy/paste is from the text below. Enjoy!

You can also add this right below $parameters['country'] = $order->billing['country']['iso_code_2'];

$parameters['email'] = $order->customer['email_address'];

Will fill in the customers email address as well... just one less thing for them to type :P

Thanks for the addition Kristina :)

Is anyone successfully using PayPal with the IPN module NOW?

By successfully, I mean are you receiving the IPN from PayPal, and it is updating your order status?

Is anyone finding that customers are being sent back to your site when they finish and click the Return to Mercahnt or Continue button or link?

Paypal is insisting their IPN is working now. For me it does not return the IPN, nor does it return the customer to my site.

If folks are concerned about the shipping address, does this mean the rest of it is working for you?

Edited by RikR

Rik Rasmussen

By successfully, I mean are you receiving the IPN from PayPal, and it is updating your order status?

Is anyone finding that customers are being sent back to your site when they finish and click the Return to Mercahnt or Continue button or link?

Paypal is insisting their IPN is working now. For me it does not return the IPN, nor does it return the customer to my site.

If folks are concerned about the shipping address, does this mean the rest of it is working for you?

Well, just made another try and everything seems fine (I have disabled the whole webencrypt portion as Paypal gave me all errors last week and I have absolutely no lust to reinstate it for the next millenium :lol: )

Datum toegevoegd 	 Klant ingelicht 	 Status 	 Commentaar
11.02.2005 13:36:22  Niet Waar  Wacht op behandeling  PayPal IPN Verified [Completed (Unverified; 15,60 EUR)] 
11.02.2005 13:36:23  Waar  Voorbereiden [PayPal IPN]  

I get a Preparing [Paypal IPN] followed by my normal status for new orders which has a comment with "PayPal IPN Verified [Completed (Unverified; 15,60 EUR)]".

The unverified will be related to have an unverified customer address as I live in Europe and only US buyers are really verified considering their address.

So it seems okay or I miss something ?!

I think I was to quick to say it is okay. Although I do return to my given url and the status is updated after returning from Paypal it looks now if it is just the other way around as it should be.

The first entry says Pending with the comment Paypal Verified blah blah while the customer is not informed at that point. The second entry, just one kinute after that, says Preparing [Paypal IPN] with no comments but the green flag for Customer notified.

If it was the other way around I would say it is okay.

My definitions for the Paypal IPN module are:

Set Preparing Order Status = Preparing [Paypal IPN]

and

Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status = Standard (which for me means Pending).

As said the status does change and I am returned to the correct URL as given on the Paypal site. Maybe it is just a mixup of the strings to write to the order database. I'll see if I can find that portion somewhere.