• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Official PayPal IPN Support Thread

Mark Evans

I am experiencing exactly the same symptoms with my implementation of the same version of osCommerce on a GoDaddy hosting account.

I can't help more than that, except to say it's not just you and to find out how to enlist the help of the superdude who started this support thread, AlexStudio.

-C

Well I'm sure many of you have seen this before, but I'm stuck after hours on end trouble shooting. Maybe someone can clarify for me.

Here's where I'm at: I just moved to Godaddy and my older v1.2 IPN quit working (no surprise, right). So I un-installed the module, uploaded the v2.3.3 files and set the proxy as described to :3128. I've checked the permission and all of them look correct. I am not getting the order update emails, customers are not getting the order emails, stock is not updating, and the order page doesn't show the confirmation from the IPN in comments.

I am using HTTPS, I have a valid SSL through Godaddy's deluxe shared account and I have IPN turned off in my PayPal accounts

I have two sandbox accounts and have tested about 50 times, strangely enough, two of my post-backs actually made it through and updated correctly but without making any additional changes it stopped working again. The first time I got a post back was directly after changing to "aggregate" but I only got one postback before it went back to error.

When I try to access the ...ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn/ipn.php file directly in my browser I get an sql time out at 30 seconds and an email at my troubleshooting email address with the content:

don't know if this means the ipn.php file is accessible and my code is messed up or if my proxy settings aren't working?

Any clarification on these or ideas what to test to help narrow down my problem would be greatly appreciated. I can't figure why I've received 2 post backs but the other 50 or so have not made it through.

Thanks.

PayPal Sandbox's support docs warn against a firewall blocking HTTP POST connections. I called on GoDaddy support, read them the doc, and the rep who handled me confirmed that they are not blocking Paypal traffic in such a way.

For what it's worth PayPal Sandbox's blog announced that there were delays of up to 1 hr processing notification updates that ended 3/13/08... two weeks ago but still useful to know that the sandbox isn't as stable as one would hope.

http://www.pdncommunity.com/pdn/blog/artic...ssage.id=92#M92

IPNs for the PayPal Production Sandbox Site and APIs began experiencing delays for more than one hour starting 6:00AM PDT (2:00PM GMT) Thursday March 13, 2008.

No IPN has been lost and we are currently working to resolve this issue.

We apologize for any impact caused by this incident.

Sincerely,

PayPal Merchant Technical Support Team

Contacting PayPal

===============

If you have questions, contact PayPal Merchant Technical Support at:

https://www.paypal.com/IntegrationCenter/ic...ct-support.html

DN

And a correction... OOPS, user sparky created *this* thread, and AlexStudio created the installation guide thread at http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=177853

I am experiencing exactly the same symptoms with my implementation of the same version of osCommerce on a GoDaddy hosting account.

I can't help more than that, except to say it's not just you and to find out how to enlist the help of the superdude who started this support thread, AlexStudio.

-C

Although this contribution looks fantastic, I have had to throw in the towel trying to adapt it to my Godaddy Deluxe account. I'm a bit OCD so I am considering hiring a freelancer to troubleshoot it; I have an acquaintance who does freelance that may be looking into it as well, if he can shed light I will surely post it back to this thread.

I understand and appreciate the security provided with the requirement for a proxy connection via Godaddy and it appears to be implemented well in v2.3.3 although I can not get this IPN in any of it's versions to work on my godaddy account after extensive forum/google research. The wild thing is that it has successfully returned the IPN variables for just a very few orders! I don't get any emails of failed IPN attempts when orders are placed either.

I've been testing different tweaks on the configuration for over a week working in the sandbox and live. Of at least 50 tests, I have actually had 3 of the Live ones correctly return my IPN information and update my site which would indicated the proxy settings do work; but I would only get one successful post back and then without making any changes I would no longer get the post back information although I could see PayPal hitting my .../ext/modules.../ipn.php file!?

When I try to access this ipn.php file, I just get a server time-out and a bank email at my troubleshooting email. When an order goes through, I don't get any emails at all, even though I can see activity on the ipn.php file via Who's-On-Line.

I've read somewhere about the problem possibley being a failure between HTTP and HTTPS but based on the 3 postbacks that have made it back successfully, I'd have to rule that out for my case.

I've regretfully switched over to Harold's latest PayPal Website Payments Standard which is working for me so long as the customer clicks the "return to site" button after checking out at PayPal. I set my PayPal IPN to auto return to my site so customers are redirected after 10 seconds which seems to be working. I don't get any IPN post back information in the admin order page with this version though, it doesn't tell me anything about the PayPal transaction such as verified/ unverified/ PayPal address.... but at least it is sending me and the customer the email confirmation and updating status and inventory.

All of a sudden all payment attempts through PayPal are now generating the following error when it transfers to PayPal:

Unable to process payment. Please contact the merchant as the shipping address provided by the merchant is invalid, and the merchant has requested that your order must be shipped to that address.

The addresses are certainly valid and this has just started happening (No config changes at our end what so ever. Running version 2.3.3

I have tried Googling but was not able to come up with anything useful. Any suggestions?

I found the answer to this in another thread (credit to that author). This is an address checking feature which will cause the issues you mention if even a single character from the OSC address doesn't match at PayPal. In 2.3.3 this check is hard coded in to ...includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php at about line 470 (I'm not sure of the exact line number) but search for this:

$parameters['address_override'] = '1';

and comment it out by adding // to the line like this:

// $parameters['address_override'] = '1';

I understand and appreciate the security provided with the requirement for a proxy connection via Godaddy and it appears to be implemented well in v2.3.3 although I can not get this IPN in any of it's versions to work on my godaddy account after extensive forum/google research. The wild thing is that it has successfully returned the IPN variables for just a very few orders! I don't get any emails of failed IPN attempts when orders are placed either.

Question for you, were the tests you made done via the Live or Sandbox Paypal server?

Thanks

Collette

Just wondering, is there a way to bring the paypal page to open in a window on our store for this payment mod. At that point the customer has not really left the store just opened a paypal window in the store checkout some how? I have not seen anything like this but think it would be really nice. I seem to loose people on the transfer from my site to paypal, just thinking this would help resolve that.

Edited by showery

Question for you, were the tests you made done via the Live or Sandbox Paypal server?

Thanks

Collette

I've tried both many times.

Here's a kicker...I was messing with V2.3.3 again today after reading a thread on it here http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...0&start=160

I enabled "allow_url_fopen = on" in my php.ini, I don't know if this should have any effect or not but the first sand box test after this actually went through and returned an update successfully to my site. I tried about 6 more times, only the first and third attempt worked, the others did not update my admin. I even tried putting the php.ini in the folder with the ipn.php file but I just could not get a consistent functionality so I'm still sticking with PayPal IPN Standard. Beats the heck out of me why it would work intermittently. I have orders set to aggregate and essentially use the same information each time.

Perhaps someone might have some advice for me... I am not getting the

download link all together, (even with the "unreal.zip" file for

testing). I can pay myself through paypal, (2 different accounts) and

it seems that I am sucessfully re-directed back to the OSCommerce page

which has a clipart of a guy on a surfboard and the following text,

(with a little checkbox in front of "digitalpic"

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Order Has Been Processed!

Your order has been successfully processed! Your products will arrive

at their destination within 2-5 working days.

Please notify me of updates to the products I have selected below:

digitalpic

Thanks for shopping with us online!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So something is returning and working right. I did under product

admin, make a the product options and such so that I can say I want it

downloaded, (as well of course setting the download to true in the

"configuration->downloads", as well as the re-direct to true). I tried

putting the name, in this case for "digitalpic", I tried, in the

filename box for the download option in the "catalog->product

attributes" to put the filename as "digitalpic.zip", as well as

"digitalpic", (without the quotes of course). I also have a download

folder underneath the catalog folder, (where the unreal.zip also is).

I uploaded the digitalpic.zip to it too.

Some of my thoughts, well first, there are a bunch of settings when I

enable the Credit/Debit Card (via Paypal), and have tried several of

them but am not sure of the combinations to put the 3 fields:

Set Preparing Order Status

Set PayPal Achnowledged Order Status

Set PayPal Completed Order Status

However it might be more significant that it seems even if I change

the folder name which contains the 3 files my-prvkey.pem,

my-pubcert.pem, and paypal_cert.pem, I still get to paypal and can

pay. I don't know if these ".pem" files are even being found or not.

Also for the OpenSSL Location I have /usr/bin/openssl which is on my

C:drive. I don't know what to set this to or where I got the idea to

set it to this. I also have Enable Encrypted Web Payments set to

False, I don't see how that would matter for getting the download

link, but I have no idea what the problem is so I kind of wouldn't be

suprised. I am running this on a Live Server. Have GoDaddy Hosting,

have the Proxy server set to what it is suggested for the cURL for

GoDaddy. I also removed the cURL to see if that worked, but to no

avail. On the Customers->Orders page, the orders show up and they say

Prepairing [Paypal IPN]. I also have the IPN turned off in Paypal via

the instructions found in the paypal installation module

osCommerce_PayPal_IPN_v2.3.3. I also have oscommerce-2.2rc2a. Also,

even while I am going through the buying process for the image for

digital download I get the page "catalog/checkout_payment.php" and it

has the adress details. While I don't care if it shows an adress,

(even know it is pointless as this is a digital download), I thought

it might shed some light on what is going on.... The values contents

of that page are below.... Then there is a little bit more, (I have been getting

Invalid IPN e-mails), the output is at the bottom of the book that I have

written.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Credit/Debit Card (via PayPal)

Products (Edit)

1 x digitalpic

- Download: Yes $0.01

Billing Information

Billing Address (Edit)

Think!

Brian Droncheff

1811 Tamarind Ave. Apt. 24

Los Angeles, CA 90028

United States

Payment Method (Edit)

Sub-Total: $0.01

Total: $0.01

Payment Information

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got a E-mail as I tried to set different parameters for

one of the orders under "Customer->orders" one of them that had the

value "Preparing [PayPal IPN]" and had a red x marking that an e-mail

had not been sent to the Customer. So I changed the "Preparing [PayPal

IPN]" to "Processing" and I got a green checkmark. A little bit later

I got an e-mail, (The e-mail for the seller), about an "PayPal IPN

Invalid Process". The e-mail contents are below:

$_POST:

payment_date=19:05:57 Apr 07, 2008 PDT

txn_type=web_accept

last_name=Droncheff

residence_country=US

item_name=Brian\'s Store

payment_gross=0.01

mc_currency=USD

[email protected]

payment_type=instant

verify_sign=AiPC9BjkCyDFQXbSkoZcgqH3hpacAAvB2Y-eQjacgBhbl3.GwIgm5DCS

payer_status=verified

tax=0.00

[email protected]

txn_id=6TN915917A5566042

quantity=1

[email protected]

first_name=Brian

payer_id=F5HGYGQRESC4S

receiver_id=4AY9BYMP4H6RE

item_number=

payment_status=Completed

payment_fee=0.01

mc_fee=0.01

shipping=0.00

mc_gross=0.01

custom=2

charset=windows-1252

notify_version=2.4

$_GET:

language=english

Any ideas?? Thanks kindly,

Brian

Hi, i need some help with the code of checkout_process.php... I have installed this contrib correctly, and "discount coupon codes" too.

Paypal addon readme file ask me to do some manual coding in paypal_ipn.php and ipn.php but i don't know how to. Thanks in advance

This is the code i modified to checkout_process.php while installing coupons:

FIND on line 108:

$customer_notification = (SEND_EMAILS == 'true') ? '1' : '0';
 $sql_data_array = array('orders_id' => $insert_id, 
                         'orders_status_id' => $order->info['order_status'], 
                         'date_added' => 'now()', 
                         'customer_notified' => $customer_notification,
                         'comments' => $order->info['comments']);
 tep_db_perform(TABLE_ORDERS_STATUS_HISTORY, $sql_data_array); 

ADD this code after:

//kgt - discount coupons
 if( tep_session_is_registered( 'coupon' ) && is_object( $order->coupon ) ) {
  $sql_data_array = array( 'coupons_id' => $order->coupon->coupon['coupons_id'],
                            'orders_id' => $insert_id );
  tep_db_perform( TABLE_DISCOUNT_COUPONS_TO_ORDERS, $sql_data_array );
 }
 //end kgt - discount coupons 

FIND on line 278:

// unregister session variables used during checkout
 tep_session_unregister('sendto');
 tep_session_unregister('billto');
 tep_session_unregister('shipping');
 tep_session_unregister('payment');
 tep_session_unregister('comments'); 

ADD this code after:

//kgt - discount coupons
 tep_session_unregister('coupon');
 //end kgt - discount coupons 

Hi, i need some help with the code of checkout_process.php... I have installed this contrib correctly, and "discount coupon codes" too.

Paypal addon readme file ask me to do some manual coding in paypal_ipn.php and ipn.php but i don't know how to. Thanks in advance

This is the code i modified to checkout_process.php while installing coupons:

Yeah! I found the answer. You only have to go to the coupons page and download contibution by nimz on 7 Jan 2008. This is the paypal_ipn.php file that goes on includes/modules/payment.

This file surely fits for you if your currency is USD but, if you're EUR do the next:

GO TO LINE 332 approx and FIND

$parameters['currency_code'] = $currency;

REPLACE IT with

$parameters['currency_code'] = 'EUR';

or the 3 digits code for your own currency and... DONE!

Well, I got the downloading link, it was quite painstaking. I however am not getting e-mails when I buy a product. Instead I get a red x in the Customer Notified. This seems to happen with both digital download stuff as well as strait purchasing. I am only using Paypal at this point, the Paypal_IPN Module 2.3.3. Perhaps someone knows something about this or has seen an answer somewhere? Furthermore, I can then, when looking at a specific order, just select something for the "Status" box such as processing, or delivered and it will send out an e-mail. I have all:

Set Preparing Order Status

Processing

Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status

Processing

Set PayPal Completed Order Status

Processing

But it did the same when I had them all set to "Delivered". I want to be able to sell digital items as well as regular items so I want the digital items to be automataous but to have to set the hard shipped products to "Delivered". Any ideas?

Thanks much,

Brian

I hope someone has had my problem and can help me in the correct direction. When ipn is selected as payment method, customers are going directly to checkout success. Checkout process is working... the order shows up as preparing the immediatly shows up as check/money order. I recently did the RC2 update and did no think I did anything in there that affected pay pal...I was probably wrong. I am using the v1.4 of the ipn. I am totally dunbfounded as to where I should even start here.....

lildog

Hi,

I'm experiencing a problem where only about half the time an order is made that the shopping cart will recive the IPN response from paypal and the order will update to "Pending", otherwise half of the orders stay at Preparing [PayPal IPN] and never update.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem where it only works sometimes?

For example here are my last couple test orders -

Order Added at 00:43:39

Status updated to Pending at 04:08:53

Order Added at 21:41:11

Status never updated

Order Added at 01:05:43

Status updated to Pending at 01:16:58

As you can see for one order it took over 3 hours to update, then for the second order it never updated, then for the third it only took 10 minutes.

This problem seems very strange to me and it's as if maybe there are some network problems with paypal contacting back to the shopping cart or something? I can't understand why it would work "sometimes" and sometimes it doesn't

I appreciate your help,

Thanks

Hi,

I'm experiencing a problem where only about half the time an order is made that the shopping cart will recive the IPN response from paypal and the order will update to "Pending", otherwise half of the orders stay at Preparing [PayPal IPN] and never update.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem where it only works sometimes?

For example here are my last couple test orders -

Order Added at 00:43:39

Status updated to Pending at 04:08:53

Order Added at 21:41:11

Status never updated

Order Added at 01:05:43

Status updated to Pending at 01:16:58

As you can see for one order it took over 3 hours to update, then for the second order it never updated, then for the third it only took 10 minutes.

This problem seems very strange to me and it's as if maybe there are some network problems with paypal contacting back to the shopping cart or something? I can't understand why it would work "sometimes" and sometimes it doesn't

I appreciate your help,

Thanks

Yes,

As you will see in my posts directly above, I have not been able to get this to work consistently either. I don't believe the problem is with the proxy settings such as Godaddy servers because that would either work or consistently not work (you don't "sometimes" get a secure connection to accept a non secure connection) and mine worked sometimes.

I've read other places that the paypal IPN service (from PayPal server) was slow recently but that all notices were being sent.

I simply could not get this to work after many hours of trying and have reverted to the latest PayPal Standard IPN written by Harold. It is very basic and also has the problem of customers not returning to your site to complete the IPN.

From what I can tell, many people are switching over to the PayPal Express checkout module.

I have narrowed my problem to checkout confirmation. I hope someone can answer a seemingly simple question....

where does "function paypal_ipn" actually get called in checkout confirmation?

And more specifically, where does $this->form_action_url = 'https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr'; get set?

My problem is I am not going to paypal on checkout, going directly to checkout success. I have narrowed my problem down to a couple of lines. My form action on check confirmation is getting set to '' during pre-confirmation. The link is the paypal link is fine until after this:

if (is_array($payment_modules->modules)) {

$payment_modules->pre_confirmation_check();

}

Any help?

lildog

I have been reading through the forums, and I am hoping that someone might be able to help me get a straight answer to a question.

I have a client that wants the order information to show up in Paypal whenever someone purchases something from his site. He uses the Paypal invoice and receipt system as his main source of order tracking. He does not want to have to confirm order details back and forth between OS Commerce and Paypal-he simply wants to have an order go from his shop to Paypal and to use Paypal as his SOLE source of invoicing and receipt tracking (allowing him to see what was ordered from his shop in his Paypal transaction record.)

In the default installation of OS Commerce, there is little to no order info passed to Paypal. I have been reading about the Paypal IPN, but I'm unsure if this is the right solution for this problem. Is the IPN the best way to pass order info to Paypal during the transaction process, or is there another way I've not located yet?

Thank you for your help.

I just posted in the thread prior to this one. I have now installed the IPN, but the module does not show up in the Admin>Payment section for installation. Is there some reason why it would not show up to be installed?

Thanks.

Sorry to be a pain, but I got the issue worked out with the IPN module. I installed it, but when I place a test order the product information does not pass from OS Commerce to Paypal. When I look at the order this is all the information I see:

Web Accept Payment Received (Unique Transaction ID #7ES02506F84971538)

Business Name: business x (The sender of this payment is Verified)

Email: [email protected]

Payment Sent to:

[email protected]

Total Amount: $0.25 USD

Fee Amount: -$0.25 USD

Net Amount: $0.00 USD

Item Amount: $0.25 USD

Shipping: $0.00 USD

Handling: $0.00 USD

Quantity: 1

Item Title: Tinycorp

Custom: 3

Date: Apr. 23, 2008

Time: 22:03:23 PDT

----------------------------------------

So, my questions are 1) why does the item I ordered not pass along to Paypal and 2) there is no order information in this Paypal order that I can even compare to the completed orders in OS Commerce, so how do you know who paid for what and what corresponds with what?

So, another link in the chain. The reason the items don't pass to Paypal is because of the aggregate setting, but the item setting (which is what I need) is not recommended, and for good reason. I turned it on, got one successful order and then the second time I ran through the process I got a missing information error from Paypal's gateway, and upon trying to re-send the order got a message from Paypal stating that the invoice had already been paid.

Does anyone have an idea about how to solve this problem. I REALLY need ordered items to show up in the Paypal transaction detail. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you very much.

Hi,

I tried installing this on a fresh 2.2rc2a

at checkout_confirmation.php, invoice field <input type="hidden" name="invoice"> is empty,

if i click refresh before proceeding it is magically filled <input type="hidden" name="invoice" value="1"> ??

I have osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC1 working with Paypal IPN, but my question is: is the module paypal IPN that came with that version the same as this contribution? I have a problem with the amount being submitted to paypal being negative, and I *think* I have to upgrade to 2.3.3 but I simply don't know if it is the same contribution. Could anyone enlighten me, or tell me how to check that?

Thanks!

Gina

I have osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC1 working with Paypal IPN, but my question is: is the module paypal IPN that came with that version the same as this contribution? I have a problem with the amount being submitted to paypal being negative, and I *think* I have to upgrade to 2.3.3 but I simply don't know if it is the same contribution. Could anyone enlighten me, or tell me how to check that?

Thanks!

Gina

Gina, this is a custom module and is completely separate from the stock PayPal IPN which comes loaded in OSC.

This PayPal IPN module does have some nice features compared to the stock IPN although it seems that a fair share of people are having problems getting this module v2.3.3 to work. There could be many people using it too...; I suppose if it is working for folks, they wouldn't be very likely to be reading the support thread to comment on it. I myself have this v2.3.3 module installed and it only has one problem, the IPN only posts back to my website from PayPal about 1 out of 20 attempts. After many hours of troubleshooting, I don't know if this is a problem with the module, my web server (Godaddy), PayPal or a conflict with other modules I have installed so I have turned this module off.

This module is quick to install and has great features if you want to try it; just be sure to read the included instructions completely.

I am sorry, I do not know why your stock IPN is submitting values as a negative. Hopefully someone else will post with some suggestions for you on that. I suggest providing more details such as: did this just start happening, have you recently installed any other contributions, have you recently made any other changes to your website...?