• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Official PayPal IPN Support Thread

Mark Evans

That can be done - can you provide a screenshot of how you think it should look like?

We found these parameters to be redundant and offered only the Page Style parameter. This gives you greater control of how the pages at PayPal should look like.

I'm getting these errors after I installed the paypal IPN. I changed the permissions to 777, and still got an error.

Warning: fopen(/908510-2-data.txt) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/flybetty/public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 535

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/flybetty/public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 536

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/flybetty/public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 537

Also, the new ext folder is to be placed in the root of the store correct?

Hi Guys,

not sure if this has been fixed but my client does not like the fact that the customer has to click a button on the very last page after payment has been received in order for osC to know that the order is complete.

A customer called the store saying that he had payed for his items weeks ago yet had not received his order. When they checked his status was still set to Preparing [PayPal IPN] even though his payment had gone through.

I know some sites that take PP that after the payment has been completed automatically redirect you back to the shop, has this been implemented in PayPal IPN or something to that effect?

Thanks

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

WYSIWYG HTMLArea 1.7 | Basic Template System 1.0 | osC-Affiliate | OSC-SupportTicket

Featured Products 1.3 | LoginBox 5.2 | LatestNews 1.1.3 | Extras for IE

Well this is odd. I've run several test of the above statement and every time the status in osCommerce always goes from Preparing to Pending without having to click on the button on the last PayPal page. This means a customer would not have to click that button in order for my client to know that the PP payment has gone through. Why then did this one customers payment not change the status? Is it a fluke? I hate this.

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

WYSIWYG HTMLArea 1.7 | Basic Template System 1.0 | osC-Affiliate | OSC-SupportTicket

Featured Products 1.3 | LoginBox 5.2 | LatestNews 1.1.3 | Extras for IE

Well this is odd. I've run several test of the above statement and every time the status in osCommerce always goes from Preparing to Pending without having to click on the button on the last PayPal page. This means a customer would not have to click that button in order for my client to know that the PP payment has gone through. Why then did this one customers payment not change the status? Is it a fluke? I hate this.

that normally means the customer has not paid.

its meant to change from preparing to pending when its paid for, i have set auto return on paypal profile. Best way to findout if customer has paid is to check paypal.

Hi Guys,

not sure if this has been fixed but my client does not like the fact that the customer has to click a button on the very last page after payment has been received in order for osC to know that the order is complete.

A customer called the store saying that he had payed for his items weeks ago yet had not received his order. When they checked his status was still set to Preparing [PayPal IPN] even though his payment had gone through.

I know some sites that take PP that after the payment has been completed automatically redirect you back to the shop, has this been implemented in PayPal IPN or something to that effect?

Thanks

It just means that for one reason or another the IPN (instant payment notification) from PayPal did not get back to your clients server when the payment was completed. Remember this is the Internet and stuff vanishes all the time. That's why most systems have a verification process to be sure a message was sent and received. In this particular case that doesn't happen. I see this occasionally in my store. As previously stated your client should be comparing his PayPal account with his orders just to make sure things are not missed.

I have a question to do with the product inventory update portion of this module.

As I understood Terra to say, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, this PayPal IPN Module does NOT update the product inventory or products sold list until after the payment is completed.

I remember reading that when deleting unpaid orders showing "Preparing [PayPal IPN]", after waiting a day or so, not to check the box that says "Restock product quantity" because the product was never actualy removed from the inventory count.

So my Question is:

If a customer places an order and for what ever reason he cant get PayPal to process the payment, then calls me with a credit card number and pays for the order; If I go to the order details and update it's status from "Preparing [PayPal IPN]" to Pending, Processing, or any other status, is the inventory count updated for the products? Or will I need to manualy update the inventory count?

using the newest version from alex for this contribution.

i just came across an order for $41.00

but i happened to peek at the order comments and notice paypal only processed $23.00. i logged into paypal to confirm, that was correct.

i am suspecting the buyer downloaded the form values from checkout_confirmation.php and then passed the data to paypal that way.. i can't think of any other way this would have occurred.

the order / invoice # were spot on, as well as the customer #.

is there any way to prevent this? if not, is there a way to post a warning in the order comments if the order total on the osc admin panel don't match the amount paypal processed?

Which version are you using? The amount checking is there since v2.2. If you're using v2.3.x make sure it is v2.3.3. To eliminate the possibility of users' modifying the button code, you need to setup EWP.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

Encrypted Web Payments. When using EWP, the button code sent to PayPal can be encrypted so the customers have no chance to modify it. Please check the install guide about setting up EWP. Notice that Terra stated in the install guide "If you have SSL enabled, then you won't need to set up encrypted web payments as the payment module automatically uses SSL if available." which I don't agree. The SSL for the web pages is only protecting the customers' personal info, not the store owners. I know exactly how to generate false button code no matter if there is SSL or not, so be warned. Edited by AlexStudio

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

thanks.

in the instructions, i'm at a loss at what to do here:

To create your own certificate, you can use openssl:

Create a private key: openssl genrsa -out my-prvkey.pem 1024

Create the public certificate: openssl req -new -key my-prvkey.pem -x509 -days 365 -out my-pubcert.pem

is that ssh? if so, i haven't the slightest clue as how to execute this. any tips?

or can this be done in an easier way via cpanel?

PS: I just noticed, the order i initially posted about was placed before i upgraded ipn. i was using v1.3 until the other night. :) my bad

Edited by eww

Yes that requires shell access and openSSL on your server. If you don't have SSH, you still can generate your self-signed certificates by softwares on PC. Please check this post about PayPal IPN, SSLs & Encrypted Web Payments. Edited by AlexStudio

anybody use the low order fee (which is a stock feature of oscommerce)

i seem to have encountered a bug.

- if a logged in customer purchases something, then comes back under the same session to buy something else via paypal.. the low order fee farts and charges some peculiar charge like $0.15 where they're supposed to be charged $8.13

the same also happens for points & rewards (contribution, which previously worked with additional hacks to ipn.php..those hacks don't seem to work properly anymore)

i'm not sure what files i'd need to be open to see what the problem is.. is the problem stemming from the order total class or ipn?

just disabled my modified ipn.php file (which had the edits from points & rewards) to see if those edits caused this bug... still the same result. this error is occuring on the original file of ipn.php file from v2.3.3

Edited by eww

Low order fee should work with v2.3.3. Since v2.x there are some tasks moved to ipn.php to complete the order processing without customers returning, there for most coupon contributions will not work. Please consider other payment modules when applying coupons.

low order fee works during the initial checkout.. but say if i paid, got my success message in the shop... clicked around some more and then ended up with another fee, it doesn't get applied and the overall total is messed.

points & rewards definitely doesn't work on this version. a similar reaction happens when i try to redeem my credit, as does with the second checkout using paypal ipn.

what do i need to look at to make the points & rewards contribution work? is there a way to fix the problem with returning to the shop & doing a second cart, aside from forcing a log out upon checkout success?

I can't reproduce the low order fee issue on both of my test and live stores. Regarding the coupons, it's been discussed in this thread. Since this module requires payers leaving the store to make payments at PayPal, chances are customers don't return. If you managed to use this module with some coupon contribution, people would be able to reuse their coupon credits forever, simply don't return to store at all after payment. The credits will never get deducted.

i did a test using an older version of this ipn and my credits are deducted on checkout_confirmation.php, before being sent to paypal.

so if they head to paypal the total is correct.. coupons deducted.

but if they click off paypal and head back to the site, they lose the credits. i'm not sure if this is something i did on my own, or was a default feature (it's been a while since i initially installed).. but i've not ever had 1 complaint about it

so far, the newest version (of ipn) that works with points & rewards is v2.2

i suppose i will have to downgrade a bit.. which isn't too bad i suppose, as i was using v1.3 up until a few days ago :)

If the credit contribution updates the orders_total, then the total amount will be deducted when the button code is generated with in v2.3.x. The problem is the credit itself which is not workable with this module. If you update the used credits before heading out to PayPal, customers will lose their credits if they don't complete the payment. If you try updating the used credits after customers return, then the used credits won't be updated if they don't return. Older version seems to be working, that's only because you don't know the problem. The problem is there since the very first v1.0.

i don't get what you're saying with:

Older version seems to be working, that's only because you don't know the problem. The problem is there since the very first v1.0.

when i test v2.3.3 on my shop, it works fine until somebody encounters a low order fee; purchases & returns for a 2nd purchase.. same incident with redeeming points (except it goes crazy at the first sight of a redeeming point.. it deducts the value to $0.15 when osc says they owe $6.00 or something of the like.)

when i test v2.2 ...everything works 1st, 2nd & 3rd time.

i never had the problems with credits and such, with v1.3 either.

There were shipping & tax problems in "per item" mode before v2.3, so the new version is developed to solve the problem. Prior to v2.3, the order amounts are acquired from $order->info['total'], which doesn't have all details needed for "per item" mode. In v2.3 the order amounts are generated via $order_total_modules, so every installed order totals module affecting the total amounts will be listed in "per item" mode. If your points & rewards contribution doesn't work as a standard order totals module, most likely it will mess up the amounts generated with v2.3.x.

i've never used "per item" before, always had it set to "aggregate".

In v2.3 the order amounts are generated via $order_total_modules, so every installed order totals module affecting the total amounts will be listed in "per item" mode.

ok, this explains why points & rewards don't work. there's no way for the points to deduct if the balance is per item mode. thanks for explaining this.

from now on, is this ipn version going to be modified under per-item mode, or will there be separate versions in the future for aggregate?

I won't be updating this module anymore since I have decided to switch to express checkout, and osCommerce team has their official fork of PayPal modules released with 2.2RC2a, there is no reason for me to go on with this one.

All of a sudden all payment attempts through PayPal are now generating the following error when it transfers to PayPal:

Unable to process payment. Please contact the merchant as the shipping address provided by the merchant is invalid, and the merchant has requested that your order must be shipped to that address.

The addresses are certainly valid and this has just started happening (No config changes at our end what so ever. Running version 2.3.3

I have tried Googling but was not able to come up with anything useful. Any suggestions?

I won't be updating this module anymore since I have decided to switch to express checkout, and osCommerce team has their official fork of PayPal modules released with 2.2RC2a, there is no reason for me to go on with this one.

Thanks for all your efforts, updates and work in the past. I do appreciate that.

Dennis