• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Official PayPal IPN Support Thread

Mark Evans

Hello everyone!

I am having problems with the order status not being recognized by the Paypal IPN Module.

The problem started just a few days ago.

I am using the latest version of PP IPN and my php version is 4.3.11

Thank you very much,

Andre

I'm having an extremely similar problem with the added problem of ...

The order status is changing for seemingly no reason. The order status is sometimes slipping back to the previous order status, which is causing us a nightmare. This seems to be happening every day. I thought it might be something to do with setting the Instant Payment Notification Preferences on Paypal's website, but the support I've been able to find says that you don't need to have this set. Maybe things have changed? I know Paypal have made some changes at their end recently.

If anyone could help me out with this I'd be incredibly grateful. My store is based in the UK at www.dogdrugs.co.uk

Hi Pete,

Nice work mate glad you've got yours working.

I haven't used any frames in my site but really appreciate you sharing your experience.

I just did an order on my live version and everything went through fine. I think I'm going to have to monitor it pretty closely and maybe even email customers if they come up as Preparing [PaypalIpn].

One other thought is I got the error using IE6 and just did my succsessful test on IE7. I'll have another go with IE6 tonight.

Cheers

Ok I've tried it in IE6 and all seems fine, maybe just a glitch Paypal's side (I hope)

So I will be adding Paypal as a payment option tonight at my Skateboard Shop

If you use "Prices for Logged in Users Only" http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...ons,601/page,49 contribution you will notice that after updating to the newest version of PayPal IPN that the customer copy of the order email no longer displays the product prices. I am wondering if anyone can supply a solution. Thanks.

I installed osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v2.3.2 For 2.2MS2 version by AlexStudio

Now I have some problems:

Because I installed price break discount and shipping_insurance_203.

During customers check out, looks any thing is ok.

After customers paid the items they bought, The record in Admin has all the correct record,

but in paypal, it does not show the discount and insurance even the customer added the insurance.

For example:

Record in admin:

Sub-total: 40

Price Discount: 4

Shipping: 10

Shipping insurance: 8

Total: 54

-------------------------

Record in Paypal:(only show Item amount and shipping)

Item Amount: 40

Shipping: 10

Total: 50

-------------------

So, actually, I only receive $50. Lost $4.

The record in Admin has all the correct record, but it is not show the correct in paypal.

the discount and insurance does not pass to paypa.

Please help me. Thanks

Concerning the encoding subject that has been discussed and the "You have entered unsupported characters for this field. Current available language character types are: European, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and Thai. Please try again." error, i have found a working solution.

It took me some time, lots of searching and testing but i finnaly found a solution for this problem (at least it works for me.

STEP 1

in includes/functions/general.php add

function tsy_paypaltr($var)
{
// a single accentuated/special character matches a single non acc/spec character:
$var = strtr($var, "ŠŽŸÀÁÂÃÅÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕØÙÚÛÝÞ", "SZYAAAAACEEEEIIIIDNOOOOOUUUYP");
$var = strtr($var, "šžÿàáâãåçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõøùúûýþµ", "szyaaaaaceeeeiiiidnooooouuuypu");
// a single accentuated/special character matches a couple of non acc/spec character:
$var = str_replace("Œ", "OE", $var);
$var = str_replace("Æ", "AE", $var);
$var = str_replace("œ", "oe", $var);
$var = str_replace("æ", "ae", $var);
return $var;
}

feel free to add, remove or change the chars being replaced.

STEP 2

in includes/modules/payment/paypal.php around line 481 change

while (list($key, $value) = each($parameters)) {
         echo tep_draw_hidden_field($key, $value);

to

while (list($key, $value) = each($parameters)) {
         echo tep_draw_hidden_field($key, tsy_paypaltr($value));

This nice solution should be integrated as a part of the PayPal IPN contribution-

I just downloaded 2.3.3, and got this problem, an needed this fix.

Hi,

I've been using paypal IPN successfully for a few years. I would have it set up that if a customer orders but doesn't pay it goes to the preparing status and if the customer pays it goes to a pending status (the customer is only emailed when the order goes to pending).

I just moved hosts and quite literally just transferred all the files and databse across and made a few tweaks in the configure file to get the site running on the new host and everything works fine apart from the paypal IPN. When payments are received I get the order email like normal, I receive the notification from paypal of the payment but the status of the order is stuck at preparing. The customer receives an email notification that it is preparing which never happened before.

I literally copied all the files across to the new host so I cannot see what has changed.

My setting in the module are

Set Preparing Order Status

Preparing [PayPal IPN]

Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status

Pending

Any idea why it is staying at preparing and not moving to pending?

Thanks

Hi

I've searched and read but and found one similar post but it wasn't answered. I've installed the version 2.3.2, created sandbox accounts logged into my store with the test sandbox account and all is OK. I then get returned back to my store but no order shows in the order history or in admin.

In the sandbox everything is fine, the emails show, the payments show but nothing in my admin nor in the database.

I have a dedicated IP and full SSL, my PHP Version is 4.4.3, register globals is on, I get a blank screen when running the ipn.php file.

In the module config I have

PayPal IPN v2.3.2 

Enable PayPal IPN Module
True

Gateway Server
Testing

E-Mail Address
seller_email_addy

Sort order of display.

Transaction Currency
Selected Currency

Payment Zone
--none--

Set Preparing Order Status
Preparing [PayPal IPN]

Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status

Set PayPal Completed Order Status

Transaction Type
Aggregate

Move tax to total amount
True

Page Style

Debug E-Mail Address

cURL Proxy server

Enable Encrypted Web Payments
False

Your Private Key

Your Public Certificate

PayPals Public Certificate

Your PayPal Public Certificate ID

Working Directory

OpenSSL Location
/usr/bin/openssl

Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to go live this weekend and this is the last step.

Cheers

Ian

Hi

Me again ! After more reading of this thread I decided to update to 2.3.3 and still got no orders in admin and no order number being generated so I added my email addy to the debug option just to check for any error messages and it worked. I got the order number and it shows up as pending in my admin section.

Don't know why that should make it work but it does and I'll do a lot more testing tomorrow just to make sure.

Cheers

Ian

I Have a problem with my install.

All of my orders in the admin panel are duplicated. It shows the PayPal Preparing IPN twice, then once the order is completed, it shows as pending twice. So I have the same order, listed 4 times. The first 2 with Paypal Preparing IPN, and the next 2 with Pending. Any ideas on what is going on?

I Have a problem with my install.

All of my orders in the admin panel are duplicated. It shows the PayPal Preparing IPN twice, then once the order is completed, it shows as pending twice. So I have the same order, listed 4 times. The first 2 with Paypal Preparing IPN, and the next 2 with Pending. Any ideas on what is going on?

I have had this problem also. I appears sporadically. I believe it happens when a customer goes to PayPal then returns to your store and then chooses to go to PayPal again. Why two pending orders are written to the database with the same information I don't know.

Hi

Me again ! After more reading of this thread I decided to update to 2.3.3 and still got no orders in admin and no order number being generated so I added my email addy to the debug option just to check for any error messages and it worked. I got the order number and it shows up as pending in my admin section.

Don't know why that should make it work but it does and I'll do a lot more testing tomorrow just to make sure.

Cheers

Ian

Hi

After more testing it still doesn't work. Everything in Paypal is ok but no order shows in admin. I got back to checkout_success and it showed the order number as 1 but it should have been 4 - there were already 3 test orders.

Am I doing something wrong??

Ian

Earlier in the week there were discussions about getting to a page on Paypal where it asked you to Click to retry or Click to go home. The money was not being debited form the buyer account and neither was it appearing in the seller account.

I had a customer try to order with me twice over the weekend so phoned Paypal who told me this is known issue and as a temporary fix if I could ask the customer to use the Send Money option.

Not ideal, especially as I have now lost the sale, but just to let others know if you experience the same problems.

Did you test with other payment modules, such as cash on delivery? It doesn't sound like a PayPal IPN module issue but an osCommerce configuration problem.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

Hi

Just wondering whether the results from my testing is supposed to be the way it is.

I've installed paypal ipn and created a seller/buyer email id in the developer sandbox environment.

When I purchased and paid for something in the developer sandbox environment, I don't get a notification email in my online store email account (but I do get an email notification if payment methods are other than via paypal ipn) to say that a buyer has purchased for something. However, If I go to admin-> customers -> customer orders section, I will be able to see that the buyer (from the developer sandbox environment ) has made a purchase via pay ipn.

Hope someone can clear this up for me. Thanks.

I urgently need help...

I've just set up my store and received my first order but the customer had chosen New Zealand dollars and instead of the converted NZD price of $33 NZD they were charged only $24.95 NZD where it should have been the equivalent of $24.95 US Dollars!

I've tried searching the forums and couldn't find anything on this issue and I need help urgently. I've turned off my currency module for the moment but want to get it back online ASAP...

What's wrong with RC1 Paypal IPN that it is not sending the converted currency price to paypal?

Dean

The PayPal IPN module came with 2.2RC1 package is quite primitive and it doesn't support multi-currencies setup. Please try v2.3.3 from the add-on area.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

The PayPal IPN module came with 2.2RC1 package is quite primitive and it doesn't support multi-currencies setup. Please try v2.3.3 from the add-on area.

Thanks Alex, will do will it work with SDS or do I need to mod something in it again? I'll look at the docs, sorry being lazy...

Also do I have to worry about any sql changes or anything?

Edited by fsdreamscapes

or not.... the new paypal ipn module didn't update the order status.... :( also not seeing the SDS messages now either... argh...

Alex, you know both mods, can you give me some ideas on how to go from:

RC1 with RC1 Paypal IPN

to

RC1 with RC1 Paypal IPN and SDS

to

RC1 with 2.3.3 Paypal IPN and SDS

I'll go back over the SDS install but it seems part of the issue is in the IPN and the other part in SDS...

1. IPN is not sending back order update info

2. SDS isn't being seen at all during the order process

You don't need the 2.2RC1 version of PayPal IPN module if you planned to use v2.3.3. There is no sql script required for PayPal IPN module installation. Please search in the SDS support thread for 'PayPal IPN' to find the instruction about how to modify PayPal IPN v2.x to work with SDS.

Ok I've tracked down part of the problem. If a buyer selects another currency instead of the default USD the Paypal IPN doesn't seem to match the data, as the value in my store still shows the currency in the order in NZD...

When I order with USD and go through IPN everything works fine, IPN changes the order status and the order gets completed...

If a customer selects NZD and goes through IPN the payment is received and ok'd by Paypal, but the order status is not updated...

Aye I'm getting a headache... Will look if there is a mod that shows the checkout price in USD and hopefully that will fix that problem...

Will go over and look at the SDS thread again...

Thanks Alex

There is a discrepancy code in the ipn.php which might be causing your problem. The hard coded discrepancy is $0.05 based on the selected currency in the order. This piece of code is a security checking in order to prevent hackers from modifying the button code by changing the total amount to $0.01. There used to be rounding problem in osCommerce 2.2 MS2, so it checks the total amount with the order record, with a tiny discrepancy to get rid off the rounding problem.

Please make sure that you have set both USD and NZD with at least 2 decimal places. Alternately, you can set PayPal IPN module to 'Only USD' or 'Only NZD', depends on the primary currency of your PayPal account. PayPal IPN module will calculate the exchange rate before sending the order amount, so be sure to update the exchange rate at least once per day to keep it as accurate as possible. (It would be a good idea to run a cron job to update currencies automatically as well)