• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Official PayPal IPN Support Thread

Mark Evans

hey after receiving a payment via the PayPal IPN module I just got this error for the first time and ive received alot of payments before this one.

I got an email, it seems from my default store address to myself that says in the message subject:

PayPal IPN Invalid Process

and in the email body it just says:

$_POST:

$_GET:

does anyone have any idea what this means? :-/

I think I have received the money OK despite the supposed error anyway

Edited by Benjjj6

ok now I have this problem:

Unable to process payment. Please contact the merchant as the postal address provided by the merchant is invalid, and the merchant has requested that your order must be delivered to that address.

What should I do, is this related to the IPN install?

Thanks,

Nigel

I had the same error, also out of the blue. I was using my address, definitely valid. I upgraded to 2.3.3 and it seemed to fix it.

Great contribution.

It seems that not all clients can read the

"Credit Card, PayPal - Return to Site to Complete Order"

statement and I have to email and call to find out what they ordered.

How can I program the paypal site to open in a new window or a large pop-up?

Thanks!

I seem to be having an issue with the US Postal shipping charges calculations after installing paypal_ipn.php,v 2.3.3.0 11/17/2007. Postage was working OK with a previous 1.x version and I've changed nothing with the shipping or postage sections of the shopping cart.

Problem:

The customer chooses US Priority mail in the "Shipping Method" section, then chooses PayPal as the payment option on the next page. But when they are then moved to the "Order Confirmation" page the total now shows the much higher "Express" mail postage and charges, not the choice they made. No matter what postage option they chose before.

I had the same error, also out of the blue. I was using my address, definitely valid. I upgraded to 2.3.3 and it seemed to fix it.

Hmmm, I'm using version 2.3.3... just updated to that 2 days ago. That's why I was wondering if maybe the new IPN might have something to do with it. I have a message going on in Paypal, sent an email and made a ticket!

On a weird side I have a customer actually pay me? But I have about 10 shoppers complaining and emailing me to tell me my shop is not working.

After installing paypal_ipn.php,v 2.3.3.0 11/17/2007 I also just discovered the original "Free Shipping For Orders Over a set amount" in the "Order Total Modules" no longer functions properly. I made no changes to that section either. It appears to be adding in the Express mail shipping charges before deciding if "free Shipping" should apply to the order.

I am now wondering if the new paypal_ipn.php,v 2.3.3.0 11/17/2007 is compatible with the older version of USPS Shipping Methods I have installed which fetches the postage rates. (usps.php,v 1.47 2003/04/08) Does anyone know if there are any compatibility issues with these two modules? (paypal_ipn and usps.php)

Hi, i have installed the paypal ipn module but im not sure how it works, i mean... the paypal confirmation is (or can be) instantly? (i mean, when the customer confirms the payment, and is redirected to my shop, can it have the order_status already changed, meaning the payment is confirmed? or always take some time?), and anyways, if it can take some time, how do i know when its confirmed? does osc automatically connect to paypal to see when its confirmed or something, or do i have to do it manually?

i have been testing with sandbox account, i make a purchase, go to paypal, confirm the payment, return to my shop, but the order_status always remains "preparing paypal IPN"...

sorry really newbie here :)

After installing paypal_ipn.php,v 2.3.3.0 11/17/2007 I also just discovered the original "Free Shipping For Orders Over a set amount" in the "Order Total Modules" no longer functions properly. I made no changes to that section either. It appears to be adding in the Express mail shipping charges before deciding if "free Shipping" should apply to the order.

I am now wondering if the new paypal_ipn.php,v 2.3.3.0 11/17/2007 is compatible with the older version of USPS Shipping Methods I have installed which fetches the postage rates. (usps.php,v 1.47 2003/04/08) Does anyone know if there are any compatibility issues with these two modules? (paypal_ipn and usps.php)

OK ignore my ramblings :'( it would appear USPS was having difficulties and only returning one postage rate/option and that was Express mail. :blush:

The paypal_ipn is now working awesome. :thumbsup:

What country are those customers who got the invalid address messages come from? If the addresses are from US or CA, the zip code has to match the state code otherwise PayPal rejects them.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

Here is a testing code for you. It will send none instead of a null string with the parameter state if there is no state name or state code given in the shipping address. Please let me know if it works.

Find in catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php (v2.3.3) line 457-463:

// BOF billing address fix by AlexStudio
  if ($order->content_type != 'virtual') {
	$state_abbr = tep_get_zone_code($order->delivery['country']['id'], $order->delivery['zone_id'], $order->delivery['state']);
  } else {
	$state_abbr = tep_get_zone_code($order->billing['country']['id'], $order->billing['zone_id'], $order->billing['state']);
  }
  // EOF billing address fix by AlexStudio

Change to:

// BOF billing address fix by AlexStudio
  if ($order->content_type != 'virtual') {
	$state_abbr = tep_get_zone_code($order->delivery['country']['id'], $order->delivery['zone_id'], $order->delivery['state']);
  } else {
	$state_abbr = tep_get_zone_code($order->billing['country']['id'], $order->billing['zone_id'], $order->billing['state']);
  }
  if (empty($state_abbr)) $state_abbr = 'none';
  // EOF billing address fix by AlexStudio

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

The IPN calls can sometimes arrive before customers return to store. osCommerce doesn't connect to PayPal by itself, it must first receives the IPN call from PayPal then it calls back to verify the IPN message. New in v2.3.3 there is a section about IPN troubleshooting in the install guide. Please read it.

well, PayPal changes their code from time to time, and they don't have any announcement about that. PayPal IPN worked without the change before. Since it works for you, I'll test the code with addresses from other countries before making it official.

Hi,

Reading the last 10 or so pages of this tread, i've finally deduced that when people who don't have paypal accounts fill in their billing details on the paypal page, it must match their shipping address (Which could be manually changed to their billing address).

Is there anyway it could be set to match either one, instead of one or the other? Or can that just not be done.

Also, would the same issue be experienced with 1.4 or only with 2.x.x

Hi, I'm very new to OSCommerce and have recently installed the PayPal IPN contribution.

I have been having a problem with the status not changing. It always stays at Preparing [PayPal IPN]. I tried to open the ipn.php file at (http://yourdomain.com/catalog/ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn/ipn.php) as described. It tries to access the file but then returns an error:

Due to current high demand, the page you are looking for cannot be delivered right now.

HTTP Error 408 / 409 - Not acceptable / Resource conflict

Any ideas?

When I installed my OSC I installed it directly to the root and with no catalog folder.

The path to ipn.php is

http://yourdomain.com/ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn/ipn.php

Would this be the cause of the problem?

Dear Mr. Alex,

Some of our customers [based in France and other countries] are getting "shipping address error" messages while trying to make their payment through Paypal IPN. They do not have problem in paying through Paypal Express Chekout.

We have done this addition [if (empty($state_abbr)) $state_abbr = 'none';] as suggested by you.

Please let us know if anything else has to be done.

Thanks,

Lakshmanan S.

Currently that is the only fix available. Please let us know if it fixes your problem.

I'm so sorry, I'm a complete idiot about installing things and I need help :-)

The instructions say: "Copy the files in the directory structure set in the contribution download file to your osCommerce installation directory inc. the new /ext/ folder. "

So, I downloaded the PayPal IPN and it has 3 folders, 2 txt files, and an HTML file. Two folders, 2txt files and the HTML file all appear to be help files. I've read through them. Still confused though. :) Anyway.

I think from the instructions, which seem vague to me(!!) that we put the main workable folder in the main directory structure of our store. So I copied the install directory "catalog" and put it into the main directory structure. Is that right?? Do I need to put the help files in the main FTP section as well? Is catalog the only folder that goes in?

Because step 2 is "Make any changes you need to the language level files." - I have no idea how or if I need that. So I skipped that part.

Step 3 is "Go to the Administration Tool->Modules->Payment section at your osCommerce Administration Tool."

Ok, I'm in Admin and go to Tools. But Modules is not in Tools... which as I'm writing this, it seems to say the "Module" tool. But since there is a Tools section in Admin, maybe you can modify that instruction for idiots like me :-) Anyway, in the Payment section it has all these options:

Modules Sort Order Action

Authorize.net

Credit Card

Cash on Delivery 0

iPayment

Check/Money Order

NOCHEX

PayPal 0

2CheckOut

PSiGate

SECPay

Module Directory: /home/springm2/public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/

How do I install the PayPal IPN module? Do I need to go and copy the catalog folder (in the contribution download I did) in the "public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/" folder as well? Or does it go in just one spot?

Please help? :) Thanks so much!

hi, im not sure if this is a bug or its supossed to act this way, or maybe it happens to me because of another contrib incompatibility or something; anyway, heres the scenario:

- a customer checkout, and as soon as he gets to the checkout_confirmation, the order is created with preparing paypal ipn status. ok

- the customer then decides to not go to paypal.

- another customer then checkout too. as soon as he gets to the checkout_confirmation, the order is created, BUT the order that the other customer made is lost from the database. i mean, there is only 1 order, and its the one from the customer 2. it seems it overwrote the first one.

i think in this case, maybe its not important (after all, the user 1 decided to not continue with the checkout). but could this happens also in this case?:

- the user 1 checkouts, it goes trough checkout_confirmation, then to paypal to confirm the pay.

- while the user 1 is still in the paypal pages, BEFORE he comes back to the shop, the user 2 checkout too and goes trhough checkout_confirmation. his order will overwrite the one from the user1, so when the user 1 comes back to the shop would see his order doesnt exist, or something...

is this true or im completely wrong?

thanks

The orders_id should be auto increment when inserting order data into database, which happens before the customer leaving to PayPal (no matter he decides to pay or not). You need to check your database for the structure of orders table and see if the orders_id field has been set with auto_increment.

The orders_id should be auto increment when inserting order data into database, which happens before the customer leaving to PayPal (no matter he decides to pay or not). You need to check your database for the structure of orders table and see if the orders_id field has been set with auto_increment.

hi alex, yes the table orders has the order_id in autoincrement. in fact, it works ok if i go and come back from paypal. it only happens if i dont go to paypal. also, even if not going to paypal, but i change in admin the order status to, for example, "download available" (i have super download shop installed), it again works ok (the next order will not overwrite the first one)

i have been trying to find where is the actual sql insert sentence in the php's, but i cant find it. i think that maybe another contrib. has changed the code, and it makes an insert or an update depending on the order_status. (or maybe it is a delete and then an insert, but i think is the first case since in phpmyadmin i see the order_id has not been incremented, i mean the new order takes the id of the lost one)

can you point me on wath php should i look for the sql sentence?

thanks

After a PHP and MYSQL upgrade, by my hosting company I now get the following in the order comments. I am running paypal_ipn.php,v 1.3 with all fixes for that version. Payment does go through though.

Date Added Customer Notified Status Comments

11/12/2007 15:48:27 False Pending PayPal IPN Verified [Completed (Verified; €105.00)]

11/12/2007 15:48:29 True Preparing [PayPal IPN]

11/12/2007 15:48:42 False Pending PayPal IPN Verified [Completed (Verified; €105.00)]

11/12/2007 15:49:06 False Pending PayPal IPN Verified [Completed (Verified; €105.00)]

11/12/2007 15:50:22 False Pending PayPal IPN Verified [Completed (Verified; €105.00)]

11/12/2007 15:51:47 False Pending PayPal IPN Verified [Completed (Verified; €105.00)]

11/12/2007 15:54:34 False Pending PayPal IPN Verified [Completed (Verified; €105.00)]

11/12/2007 16:00:00 False Pending PayPal IPN Verified [Completed (Verified; €105.00)]

11/12/2007 16:19:22 False Pending PayPal IPN Verified [Completed (Verified; €105.00)]

11/12/2007 17:15:43 False Pending PayPal IPN Verified [Completed (Verified; €105.00)]11/12/2007 19:52:06 False Pending PayPal IPN Verified [Completed (Verified; €105.00)]

Here are my admin settings:

Enable PayPal IPN Module : True

Move tax to total amount : True

-Mail Address: [email protected]

Transaction Currency : Only EUR

Payment Zone : --none--

Set Preparing Order Status : Preparing [PayPal IPN]

Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status : Paid by [PayPal IPN]

Gateway Server : Live

Transaction Type :Aggregate

Page Style

Debug E-Mail Address : [email protected]

Sort order of display : 0

Enable Encrypted Web Payments : False

Your Private Key

Your Public Certificate

PayPals Public Certificate

Your PayPal Public Certificate ID

Working Directory

OpenSSL Location : /usr/bin/openssl

Here is one of my error log emails with private info changed.

$_POST:

mc_gross=41.90

invoice=2906

address_status=unconfirmed

payer_id=VW4TTQKJFQMZ8

tax=0.00

address_street=addy was here

payment_date=09:55:56 Nov 15, 2007 PST

payment_status=Completed

charset=windows-1252

address_zip=59100

first_name=name was here

mc_fee=1.77

address_country_code=FR

address_name=addy name was here

notify_version=2.4

custom=2871

payer_status=unverified

business=my email was here

address_country=France

address_city=roubaix

quantity=1

verify_sign=AkG36g.DjqKvQGy2DqZPIPrhnEq7AV8tSUH.3MGzGEszJlo4Vj3O4j2L

[email protected]

txn_id=6XF31444VP218732N

payment_type=instant

last_name=name here

address_state=

receiver_email=my email address

payment_fee=

receiver_id=AFR7C39CNBA56

txn_type=web_accept

item_name=shop name here

mc_currency=EUR

item_number=

residence_country=FR

receipt_id=1368-7404-4829-1174

payment_gross=

shipping=16.00

$_GET:

I see payment_gross= is blank

item_number= is blank

and payment_gross= is blank...

Is this whats causing the problem? and why are they blank?

I have posted this in its own thread but no one has replied. Someone must be able to help in this forum surely? Thanks