• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[contribution support] Custom META Tags per ITEM

Randelia

This is the support link for the 'Custom META Tags per ITEM' contribution.

Here's the contribution link:

Custom META Tags per ITEM - Contribution

Custom META Tags per Item v1.0

This contribution allows you to set which META Tags & page TITLE are displayed on a per-product, per-category, and per-subCategory basis. This is an important step towards SEO! The following custom fields are stored in the database for each product, category, & subcategory:

META Keywords

META Description

TITLE (i.e. <TITLE></TITLE>)

This can be used to set default META Tags & page TITLE for your entire OSC store. If a product or category doesn't have an entry for any of the 3 custom fields, it will display the default for those fields.

All entries are controlled using the admin console.

Multi-language is supported for the product tags.

Extra fields are added to the database to hold the custom fields, so this contribution should be very benign in it's interaction with other contributions.

I heavily modified & extended Daniel Richards original 'custom meta tags' contribution to include extra fields, multi-language capabilities, and extra functionality.

This contribution has been tested with Ultimate SEO URLs.

I hope this helps y'all place well in the search engines! :D

-Randelia

sounds like a good contribution - do you have a link you can provide of a demo site with this installed along with Ultimate SEO URLSv2x?

Also, how does this contribution differ from HeaderTags V2.5.5?

Thanks!

sounds like a good contribution - do you have a link you can provide of a demo site with this installed along with Ultimate SEO URLSv2x?

Also, how does this contribution differ from HeaderTags V2.5.5?

Sorry, I didn't want to put my production website as an example because of all the test users, test orders, etc. that would follow. I suggest you setup a test site w/ a clean OSC install so you can just upload the files. Ultimate SEO URLs is very quick & easy to install, but your server must support mod_rewrite.

My store is heavily modified, so the number of edits required for HeaderTags to work on my site scared me away from it. I thought that the 'custom meta tags w/ db column' contribution was a more straight forward design & an easier install, so I decide to extend it's functionality to include META Description, TITLE, and multi-language capabilities.

I've never actually used the HeaderTags contribution so I can't say for sure, but it appears that it does the same thing.

If your store does NOT have a modified admin/categories.php, then 'Custom META Tags per Item' will be a 5 minute install. Otherwise you'll spend a little time editing the file, buy my instructions are very clear.

Randelia,

Great Contribution, works like a dream for the products. But On my index page in the languages file I did changes to this to add a title and keywords/decription. But when I run my site thorugh this site to check it out, it now tells me that I havn't got a title/keywords/content?? http://www.widexl.com/remote/search-engine...g-analyzer.html

Can you help me out here! When I check the index.php file the text I added is still all there?! and the title!

Cheers

Dave

On my index page in the languages file I did changes to this to add a title and keywords/decription.

Can you help me out here! When I check the index.php file the text I added is still all there?! and the title!

By default languages/english/index.php does not define any HTML 'header' information - it begins by defining an HTML 'table' (i.e. it's meant to be placed below </head> & <body> on a html page - and below the code inserted by Custom_META_Tags too.) Defining any <head>, <title>, </head> or </title> tags in this file would undoubtedly interfere with my contribution.

If the only changes you made to this file were to add META keyword & description and TITLE then you should restore the original /languages/.../index.php file. If you made a lot of changes to this file then try removing the following: META tags, <head>, </head>, <title>, </title>

Here's how to integrate the Custom META Tags into other pages.

If the page you're working on is focused on an individual product, then:

REPLACE:

<title><?phpechoTITLE;?></title>

WITH:

<?php // Randelia Custom_META_Tags_Per_Item. Includes TITLE!

echo ShowMETA('product_info', $products_id, $languages_id); ?>

If the page you're working on is focused on a category, then:

REPLACE:

WITH:

echo ShowMETA('categories', $cPath, $languages_id); ?>

If the page is NOT focused on a product or category (i.e. contact_us.php), then:

REPLACE:

WITH:

echo ShowMETA('useDefaults', $cPath, $languages_id); ?>

It doesn't matter wheter you send it $cPath or $products_id in this case because it will just use the default keywords, description & title defined at the top of function ShowMETA in /includes/functions/general.php

Edited by Randelia

By default languages/english/index.php does not define any HTML 'header' information - it begins by defining an HTML 'table' (i.e. it's meant to be placed below </head> & <body> on a html page - and below the code inserted by Custom_META_Tags too.) Defining any <head>, <title>, </head> or </title> tags in this file would undoubtedly interfere with my contribution.

If the only changes you made to this file were to add META keyword & description and TITLE then you should restore the original /languages/.../index.php file. If you made a lot of changes to this file then try removing the following: META tags, <head>, </head>, <title>, </title>

Here's how to integrate the Custom META Tags into other pages.

If the page you're working on is focused on an individual product, then:

REPLACE:

WITH:

echo ShowMETA('product_info', $products_id, $languages_id); ?>

If the page you're working on is focused on a category, then:

REPLACE:

WITH:

echo ShowMETA('categories', $cPath, $languages_id); ?>

If the page is NOT focused on a product or category (i.e. contact_us.php), then:

REPLACE:

WITH:

It doesn't matter wheter you send it $cPath or $products_id in this case because it will just use the default keywords, description & title defined at the top of function ShowMETA in /includes/functions/general.php

I've commented out the part in general that you have to key your default keywords etc to. This seems to work for the index page.

I'll look at doing the other pages such as contact us etc now, Cheers for that.

Dave

Hello,

Newbie here. I installed the Custom Meta Tags contrib. on a Windows IIS box. I had installed the SEO 2.0b version (which was recommended for Windows). Do you know if it works with this version of SEO on a windows box? When I click on the Product Review, the Meta Tags work, however, that seems to be because SEO 2.0b does not optimize the URL for the product review querystring (I still see the product ID, etc instead of the cName, pName).

Any clarification on this? I would love to use the contribution...

Thanks much,

Tom

I installed the Custom Meta Tags contrib. on a Windows IIS box. I had installed the SEO 2.0b version (which was recommended for Windows). Do you know if it works with this version of SEO on a windows box? When I click on the Product Review, the Meta Tags work, however, that seems to be because SEO 2.0b does not optimize the URL for the product review querystring (I still see the product ID, etc instead of the cName, pName).
You didn't mention whether the custom meta tags were working for index.php & product_info.php with Ultimate SEO turned on.

I'm not sure if the older version of Ultimate SEO rewrites the product reviews page - I've only used the latest version since my site is on a linux box. The latest version does rewrite this page. I haven't tested Custom META Tags w/ v 2.0b of Ultimate SEO, but I'm pretty sure they should be compatible.

Ultimate SEO & Custom META Tags work on completely different levels. Ultimate SEO may rewrite the URLs, but the category & productID are still being passed via the URL - this rewriting just happens at the server level before it's seen by the user in their web browser. So, the fact that you're seeing trailing stuff like '?products_id=26&reviews_id=5' does NOT mean that Custom META Tags isn't working - this only means that Ultimate SEO is not rewriting the URL for this webpage.

Disable Ultimate SEO URLs in the control panel (you may need to use my Ultimate SEO contribution to 'fix' the problem w/ disabling Ultimate SEO.) Then see if Custom META Tags works on your site. Then enable Ultimate SEO & test your site. By analyzing the results on a page-by-page basis it should be clear whether or not custom meta tags is working at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

I'm using your meta tags contribution, and needed a little help.

I have an admin section which I'm using this in, and there's a little problem. ( PMed you o this, but checked with my client & it's ok for me to post too apparently.)

I can edit the meta tags for existing products, but when I try and edit the tags for existing categories, I can't find the update/save button. It's completely vanished.

Any ideas??

• 5 weeks later...

I installed the contribution a couple weeks ago and everything worked fine. I had to do a complete reinstall of my entire OSC and tried reinstalling the contribution but now I ONLY get the default meta tags.

Don't know much about PHP.

Can some put me in the right direction for troubleshooting?

Sorry, I didn't want to put my production website as an example because of all the test users, test orders, etc. that would follow. I suggest you setup a test site w/ a clean OSC install so you can just upload the files. Ultimate SEO URLs is very quick & easy to install, but your server must support mod_rewrite.

My store is heavily modified, so the number of edits required for HeaderTags to work on my site scared me away from it. I thought that the 'custom meta tags w/ db column' contribution was a more straight forward design & an easier install, so I decide to extend it's functionality to include META Description, TITLE, and multi-language capabilities.

I've never actually used the HeaderTags contribution so I can't say for sure, but it appears that it does the same thing.

If your store does NOT have a modified admin/categories.php, then 'Custom META Tags per Item' will be a 5 minute install. Otherwise you'll spend a little time editing the file, buy my instructions are very clear.

I am having a problem. The site is http://divinedivasgr.com. The titles are not pulling in the category names. Also, I cannot see in admin where I can make changes. I installed everything in the package. What am I doing wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

:( I am having a few errors, when I go to edit a product, all of the products information is removed and gone? And the two errors are shown:

Warning: reset(): Passed variable is not an array or object in /homepages/39/d132738144/htdocs/SL/admin/includes/classes/object_info.php on line 17

Warning: Variable passed to each() is not an array or object in /homepages/39/d132738144/htdocs/SL/admin/includes/classes/object_info.php on line 18

Could this be something to do with the database being edited via the script?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

REPLACE:

WITH:

It's been a while before I have looked at this, but I'm a bit stuck/confused.

I figured out that if I get rid of my own meta tags on the index.php page that the defaults will be used. But if I copy this code into each different file such contact_us.php, shipping.php etc then all these pages will still have the same page titles and metas?? am I right? as they too will be pulling the information from the default settings.

I can do it for all the other products/categories as they are in the admin side, it's just the other pages I can't seem to get to change titles/metas

cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Great contrib but I am having one problem. Has anyone been able to get this to work with this other contrib: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2796

The categories work fine but the products are not working.

Ok, sorry I posted prematurely. I solved my problem by using this in the index.php

<?php

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'])){

// Randelia Custom_META_Tags_Per_Item. Includes TITLE!

echo ShowMETA('product_info', (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'], $languages_id);

} else {

// Randelia Custom_META_Tags_Per_Item. Includes TITLE!

echo ShowMETA('categories', $cPath, $languages_id);} ?>

Hi, First let me say -thanks for this thread and for the sharing this contrib. I'm about to use it (the Custom Meta tags per item) but noticed one called Custom Meta in DB column and that confused me. How do I go about this without errors? It would be great to modify the tags in a database. Does Custom Meta tags dates Nov 5. have errors? Is something special involved?

I apologize in advance if this causes people to repeat things. I just want to go about this seamlessly since my store is live.

Sincerely,

Sharon

Sharon here again. Being new to this I have a very ignorant question. I don't know how to run a SQL script, which is the first step in installing this contrib. I've gotten good with PHP edits and for that I'm using HAPedit. Can anybody help me with SQL?

Sincerely,

Sharon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I installed your contribution, and I like it very much.

The categories, sub-categories and products all work very well. I search the source code and all is fine.

But, when I seach the source code for the index page, my old keywords are still there and I would like to change them, but I do not know how.

Also, I do not have any seo installed and I am wondering which one I would be wise to install, there are so many!

I have shared ssl and cannot force cookies and my knowledge of php is very limited.

Thanks,

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

This contribution works like a charm, however Search and Advanced Search do not query the Custom META tags fields. This is likely by design, however I need cart search to include the custom meta tags.

How would I extend cart search to query the Custom META tags fields in the database?

Thanks,

EricK

• 3 weeks later...

This contribution allows you to set which META Tags & page TITLE are displayed on a per-product, per-category, and per-subCategory basis. This is an important step towards SEO! The following custom fields are stored in the database for each product, category, & subcategory:

META Keywords

META Description

This can be used to set default META Tags & page TITLE for your entire OSC store. If a product or category doesn't have an entry for any of the 3 custom fields, it will display the default for those fields.

Extra fields are added to the database to hold the custom fields, so this contribution should be very benign in it's interaction with other contributions.

I heavily modified & extended Daniel Richards original 'custom meta tags' contribution to include extra fields, multi-language capabilities, and extra functionality.

-Randelia

I have had this contib installed for a few weeks now.

It seemed to work (mostly for the index page) when I installed it, and search engines were picking up the site. But now I have'nt had a search engine (or even an unwanted spider) crawl my site in over two weeks.

Anyone have any theories about whether this contrib actually works?

• 4 weeks later...

META Keywords

META Description

-Randelia

I installed your contribution on a test site on a local machine and it seems to work fine.

However, when I installed it on two online shops, only the default tags I entered in /includes/functions/general.php show up. phpMyAdmin indicates that my entries are present in the database.

Everything seems to be the same as far as I can tell for both the local and remote sites. I am baffled. Help would be appreciated.

-Pink