• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Installation Guide - osC Paypal IPN 1.1 + Downloads Controller 5.3 - on fresh osC MS2.2

AlexStudio

ringuet, yes, you can. However, you will need to update those orders status manually, which processed by other payment methods. Instant download will be available automatically only when IPN is chosen and the payment is approved.

No, I don't think so.

I noticed that after the 051113 patch release, the download without payment issue seems to be gone. I didn't test it thoroughly with the fresh installed 051113 package. Download Controller is still recommended.

Yeah i guess it is really recommanded, what my thoughts were (after my first question ;) : maybe the "appearing page" without completing the payment was due to the IPN Paypal contrib, since orders are "pre installed" in the database before checkout _ succes (and not after like with other payment modules?), then maybe if you install IPN and you won't pay, then your order already "exists" and you can see it relogging, even if he has not the "right" status ???

I've tried to d/l a product indeed and didn't see the page before paying, but i haven't installed paypal IPN yet, it was just paypal i guess (well the one that goes with the initial 051113 release...

Anyway, following your instructions i'm gonna try and install the whole thing tonite, more (questions ;)) later

thanks a lot

steph

thanks for this one ;)

Can you confirm it work with latest os commerce version ?

And I did not exactly understood the paypal pro issue, is paypal IPN working with paypal pro, or is it just that the IPN won't work, but everything else will ?

Thanks

Yes, both osC Paypal IPN and Downloads Controller work with the 051113 release.

IPN with DC is the best combination for selling downloadable goods. You can have any other payment methods you like, including Paypal payment pro, in your payment modules. However, I don't think you'd be happy to deal with refund after your products' been downloaded. There for, only the IPN module is recommended in this guide.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

Hello hello,

From my understanding of things so far :

>>> if you have "standard" paypal (NOT IPN installed), customers who haven't paid can't actually see any download links because they wouldn't see any order at all before the payment has been completed, so there's no big risk of being "stolen" i guess...

HOWEVER for them to actually see their download product they MUST return to the store (yourstore.com/catalog/checkout_process.php otherwise their data is LOST and they wouldn't automatically see any d/l links even if the payment has been successfull... this because in the standard paypal the transfer of data is by PDT and REQUIRES a return to your store...

You'd say there's pretty slight chances tbh that the guy who just bought a download wouldn't return the store to actually get access to the product (unlike when you buy tshirts and can't care less of return or not to the store, you're just wating for the delivery man ;-)) though BUT there can always be an error occuring or he can be not focused enough and not cliking the "continue" button Paypal proposes after payment (if you're not registered you can click either continue or register to paypal... if you don't click continue, you're order is gone...)

There's also the case when for some reason Payment via Paypal is "pending" and not instant then you (the client) won't go to completion, then you wont return the right url of your site, then if after pending for some reason payment is accepted, you (the merchant) have a payment notificated, but no order to go with it...

All those "not returning loss" are i supposed quite minimal for downloads as i said since ppl DO CARE to return ;)

And there's no stealing since there's no "concrete" order in the dbb before payment...

>>> NOW for avoiding all the problems occuring with loosing data with the PDT solution, there's another way to send the data from paypal to merchant , this is IPN, this "thing" sends the data to you (merchant) whether or not the customer has returned to your site or whether or not the payment is completed, or pending... this is by an "hidden" way that goes to an ipn file onto your (merchant) server...

What does Paypal IPN contrib does is then "decode" the ipn file...and mainly create the order in the database BEFORE payment is completed...

This way whether the customer returns to your site, has a pending payment or whatever, you still have a trace of the order and you just have to "wait" for the IPN to tell you what you want to do (IPN manages pending orders, by sending an updated status as soon as they're not pending anymore but completed)... Which seems then all great...

OUR problem here is then, your "order" exists, you can view it if you escape from paypal screen and relog, then you have access to your file even if you haven't paid i guess...

THE solution here is to enable D/L controller which would set another status of order under which NO link would be displayed in whatever order history you could view (paid or awaiting payment).... you enable d/l only with order satus above the IPN VERIFIED order status, from what i have gathered....

SO combining both you have (almost i guess) NO RISK of loosing data OR being stolen...

Now again, depends on what you look for, with the "basic" paypal module PDT only, there are little chances of loosing orders, but there are chances of losing them... with IPN , you don't loose orders but you might have to be protected against "stealing" i guess...

Or then i just could be wrong LOL ;)

Sorry for the bandwith... hope i've understood things the right way ;)

Steph

Thank you Steph. I think it is the IPN module which is causing the 'stealing' issue. There are other concern in selling downloadable goods, including refund, frauds, hackers....etc. IPN module is the most secured method for small business to start with. You just need the Downloads Controller to get arround the 'stealing'.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

Thank you Steph. I think it is the IPN module which is causing the 'stealing' issue. There are other concern in selling downloadable goods, including refund, frauds, hackers....etc. IPN module is the most secured method for small business to start with. You just need the Downloads Controller to get arround the 'stealing'.

Yeah, i think that's quite right... i just would like to investigate a little little more on what happen if i turn off IPN paypal to go back to another method, because if the "pre verified" order is no more created, then all right, i'm completely safe with my "new" secured method (would be with bank and no loosing of data), and no stealing possible anymore, BUT if it did alter the code and even if "IPN deasable", the "preorder un verified" is created in the db, then, here we go again, stealing issues, have to configure download controller to work this bit, but this time with a new way of payment and nobody to help me changing the order status the right way ;-))

Anyway, time will tell :-p

As for my other big concern (and i know it's not really the place, but just don't know where to look for a solution), bloody too big files to download... when selling double live albums (and i'll do only that, it's an "concerts site") , i'm ending up with maybe 200 Mo files / show... How do i do to at least split that in two files and the dowload Osc option still working...

D'ya know where i could ask for help ?

thanks , and bonsoir (sorry for English mistakes :))

Steph

As for my other big concern (and i know it's not really the place, but just don't know where to look for a solution), bloody too big files to download... when selling double live albums (and i'll do only that, it's an "concerts site") , i'm ending up with maybe 200 Mo files / show... How do i do to at least split that in two files and the dowload Osc option still working...

Steph

Auto quote is a bit silly i reckon and it is still not the place BUT i think i do have the solution for this 'as simple as it is' i spent my all day tryin' combining items and stuf, and noooooo, as far as i can see now, it was simple.

Give multiple attributes to your product, which attributes will all be downloads of different files...

Your order history DOES show your product with all its attributes, thus providing as many links as attributes :-D

Now, here's hoping the download controller do allow multiple links in an order per say, per item (i can't see why it wouldn't, but who knows... )

Steph

Yes, both osC Paypal IPN and Downloads Controller work with the 051113 release.

IPN with DC is the best combination for selling downloadable goods. You can have any other payment methods you like, including Paypal payment pro, in your payment modules. However, I don't think you'd be happy to deal with refund after your products' been downloaded. There for, only the IPN module is recommended in this guide.

Thanks, everything is clear now ;)

==amendments==

need to add some indications after [step 12] and before [step 13]:

12.1 Before we go testing, we'd better set the IPN module return orders status correctly. Go to Admin page, under Configuration>Modules, edit PayPal (Credit Card / Debit). Set Preparing Order Status to '3 Payment Processing', and Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status to '101 Download Now Available'.

=================

Also at the end of [step 16]:

16.1 After setup everything to work, test it till you're satisfied, you can switch the PayPal IPN to the real world. Don't forget to change your false e-mail to the real one, and you also need to go through all the process you did in sandbox, to setup real PayPal account, and upload certificate to it if you have tested SSL function.

Typo: Order Status to '101 Download Now Available' should be Order Status to '11 Download Now Available'

well, it's not really a typo. Any value larger than 10 will do the trick. Actually I have it set to 101 in my store, it works fine.

So you can't have your orders' status upadate automatically with the Paypal Payment Pro module. Is that clear?

Yes, because Payment Pro does not have that field to set the download to 11

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Tazzy!

I'm curious to know if you've found a solution to this, I too am looking for something similar to this. It would be nice to be able to send my ebay customers to the site (to drive in traffic) but at the same time have the links be able to expire after a certain amount of downloads, as all of these contribs do.

Hi Sarah,

No... no solutions yet. How about you???

I haven't been able to get any answers here on the forums, so I'm interviewing programmers now to write me some custom scripts to do what I need. I don't know if my final solution will make for a good addition to the Contributions area or not, we'll see.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Is anyone still watching this thread? I could use a little help!

In Admin/Configuration/Download I have a number of Titles and Values that are duplicated. Should I have all these duplicates? How do I tell one from another? I'm really confused!?!?

I'm supposed to set these up with appropriate Value Numbers like 2, 4, 11, 101, but I am lost as to which ones I'm changing for what?

I hope these pics help!

Tia

Mark

dl1.gif

http://www.almostfreebusiness.com/catalog/dl1.gif

It seems to me that you made some mistake while installing DC5.3 contrib, but I don't know how it happened. You'd better go back to where you started, and do it again carefully. Hope you have everything backup, ortherwise you might have to re-install entire osC.

It has everything you got, but not duplicated.

Make sure you downloaded BOTH contrib package by lhaase0217, in 17 and 19 Aug 2005. You will need all php files in the 19 Aug file, and the missing sql file in the 17 Aug file.

I am not so sure to understand this part well, the only sql file I found is in the 19 Aug file, so if I need all php files from the 19 Aug zip plus the missing sql file in the 17 Aug one, wich is not there, do I really need anything from the 17 aug zip ?

++

Edited by dcz

Me again :D

Well, I think I got right using the very last contrib for the download manager.

But, I still have a problem.

I think I installed everything ok, triple checked, no errors besides paypal does not want to play with me, all I get is :

We are sorry, we are experiencing temporary difficulties. Please try again later. If this error occurred while making a payment, avoid duplicate payments by checking your Account Overview before resending a payment.

Message 3005

I first tried with IPN only, and then decided to install the dl manager as well, and found out some extra required steps about the order status which I think is ok now.

After I can't pay, the order status in user view is 3 Paiement [PayPal IPN] (I translated those in french, but kept the same numbering), same as in admin part.

The download link does not show, I get the nice red message telling I need to pay.

The paypal sandbox seems to work properly, I set up the correct path for the ipn file, and did delelte the disallow statement for php file in the includes/ folder just in case, but nothing, still the same.

Then, I am not sure this could come from paypal itself, as at first I did try with an .htaccess disallowing any unlogged http access on the site and got the same message.

Another thing, I never recieved any debug mail, even though I set up one.

Obviously, I am able to order and start paying in de sandbox, log in and it's when I actually push pay that troubels shows up.

So I am wonderign if 1) you as well experienced problems with the paypal sandbox theses days or 2) did already have a similar issue with this contribution and could give me an hint.

Thanks

++

Hi All,

Ok, I've installed this OSC, IPN and the Download Controller. I've been following directions closely and doin gthe tests as I go.. all in accordance with the instructions and this thread. I only see one problem, and it's big!

When I purchase an item as a buyer, that buyer has his purchased download in his account before I hit Confirm Order. Right after I hit "Continue", during the ordering process, I can check his accout and the download is there.

Can anyone point me to a setting I missed or something?

TIA

Mark

Nobody on this sandbox matter ?

I saw other users with the same issue here (yes it is french) with no more clue.

Paypal is telling it's a cookie or cache issue, but clearing those does not help.

Did really no body experienced this before ?

++

I just tried to use the regular paypal module instead just to test out.

I obviously changed this line in paypal.php :

$this->form_action_url = 'https://secure.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr';

To

$this->form_action_url = 'https://www.sandbox.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr';

In order to stay in the sandbox, and it is working nicely, I can pay and all.

It seems the dl links get only activated after the payment is proceeded, but the user has to turn back on the shop to see the dl link using the paypal link.

The order status is set to "3 Preparing [PayPal IPN]" once the payment gets done. I thought this would not allow downloads, but it works.

Strange.

any clue on why the IPM module would not work in this case ?

++