• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Installation Guide - osC Paypal IPN 1.1 + Downloads Controller 5.3 - on fresh osC MS2.2

AlexStudio

Hi Alex,

Very informative post, thanks!

I'm new to PHP and I've managed to get upto point 8. I believe I've followed as per instruction, minus sandbox (as it kept erroring). Anyways, I decided to be daring and test it live, and the paypal module seemed to work fine (transfer of funds completed), however, once the payment was made and the reciept page came up, there was no download link (nor in confirmation email).

The site is at: www.tomrowley.net/catalog

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Tom

I think you need to setup those order status value first.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the quick responce. I've got upto step 11 and changed all the order status values in the localization section. Now I'm onto step 12 and I'm not quite sure what I should be editing. I done the search on pending in order_status, edit, and this was the code which came up

SELECT * FROM `tomrowley1`.`orders_status` WHERE `orders_status_id` LIKE '%pending%' OR `language_id` LIKE '%pending%' OR `orders_status_name` LIKE '%pending%'

Any chance you, or anyone, could you give me an example of how I should edit it?

Thanks again,

Tom

Hey Alex,

Very nice work here! I printed out your instructions a while back and after days of struggling without them, POOF! I had everything working fine in a matter of hours. Thank you for that!

I'm currently tweaking and refining my setup and need to know if, and how, I can get my downloads outside of the public_html folder and working with OSC. Any ideas?

I'm also still trying to find a solution to having my OSC setup (MySQL dbase, downloads controller & Paypal IPN) handle ALL my sales, including those that originate outside of my website (eBay, etc.). Any ideas here too? I've found commercial programs that are in PHP and MySQL that can securely and automatically handle ALL my sales (from OSC, eBay, Yahoo, etc.) so I figure you?ve got to be able to modify OSC to accomplish the same thing. Am I wrong? I?d prefer to have one customized program (OSC) handle everything, rather than multiple programs trying to coordinate and communicate with each other.

Thanks,

Taz

Hi Tazzy!

I'm curious to know if you've found a solution to this, I too am looking for something similar to this. It would be nice to be able to send my ebay customers to the site (to drive in traffic) but at the same time have the links be able to expire after a certain amount of downloads, as all of these contribs do.

For there are very limited instruction available in the Downloads Controller Contrib,

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,994

and complicated setup procedure for both osC and Paypal IPN

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2679

to work correctly, I decided to write this setup guide, for those who does have the skill to manipulate the PHP or other codes/scripts.

The reason to combine these 2 add-ons to osC is quite obvious. Paypal is the best choice for those newbie e-store owners to receive payments, and the Downloads Controller is the best contrib to solve the downloadable goods problems come with the osC MS2.2.

If you want to find out what's wrong with the original download module built-in with osC MS2.2, please do the search for 'stealing download without paying' or 'blank download page'......,etc, in this forum. You will find out there are huge security issues with the original download module and problem downloading large files.

installing osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v1.0 For 2.2MS2

1. The installation guide can be found in this contrib. READ IT! It's quite straight forward.

For those who don't understand how to setup to encrypt payments data to be sent to Paypal, we will deal with that part later.

2. Make sure you have followed every instruction in the installation guide, including the osC MS2.2 and osC PayPal IPN Module. !!!!!!!! CHMOD /catalog/download to 755, and /catalog/pub 777, also create /catalog/tmp and CHMOD to 777.

3. Go to Admin page, under Configuration>Download, set Enable download true, Download by redirect ture (Unix based host only). NOTICE: redirect only work with Unix based host!!!! If you set this to true with non-unix host, download WILL NOT WORK!!! Set redirect to false if you're using non-unix host.

Also under Configuration>Gzip Compression, set to false. Many people have problems with gzip truned on.

Under Modules>Payment>PayPal (Credit Card / Debit), set Enable Paypal IPN module true, set Gateway Server to 'Testing'. And fill-in with a false e-mail address in the E-Mail Address field. This e-mail address will be used for PayPal Sandbox. Fill-in page style with 'Paypal', and Debug E-Mail Address with your REAL e-mail. Now we are done with the PayPal IPN Module. We can deal with other settings later.

4. Go to PayPal website and sign-up an Developer account in https://developer.paypal.com/devscr?cmd=_signup-run page to use the sandbox. There are many instructions available for setting up sandbox in the developer center. Read them. Create at least 2 accounts in sandbox, one for seller, and the other for customer. The seller must setup with the false e-mail address which we fill-in the IPN module. Then setup false credit cards for both seller and customer, I suggest you to do the verify procedure to make both sandbox accounts Verified.

Then in the sandbox, seller's profile, Instant Payment Notification Preferences, turn IPN on, with the URL http://yourdomain/catalog/includes/modules.../paypal_ipn.php then save.

5. Upload a samll test.zip file to /catalog/download for later testing. The file size should be no larger than 1Mb. We want to make sure everything works fine before we approach forward. The smaller file seems to be less problematic. It doesn't matter what you put in the test.zip, but make sure you can unzip it without problem. Naming that .zip file is crucial for download to work properly later.

6. Go to Admin page, under Catalog>Categories/Products, add a new product with whatever name/price, set weight to 0. Go to Catalog>Products Attributes and add an option name 'Shipping Options', and an option value 'Instant Download'. Now from the dropping list add a products attributes below with the product name we just created, then select option name 'Shipping Options', and option value 'Instant Download'. Fill-in file name with 'test.zip' and leave the others and click 'insert'. Now we have a new product which is downloadable after payment approved.

7. Now we can test purchasing the test.zip with Paypal sandbox, if you have done everything correctly, you can make payments with the false customer account in sandbox, than the browser returns to your store, with download link available. NOTICE: Try not to complete the Paypal payment pages, open another browser and login again with the same user account, go to 'My Account', Wala!! The download link is there without paying a dime!!!!!! BIG PROBLEM, right?

If you have no problem downloading the test.zip file, with or without payment, don't forget to open or unzip it. If your downloaded file can't be opened, then you have some problem with your server. Probably something is wrong with your host setup. Fix the problem before going on next step. Download will not work if you don't get it work here.

to be continued........

Alex,

Have you been able to find or figure how to get Download Controller to work with Paypal Payment Pro?

Thanks in advance for your help

you need IPN to make them work automatically. IPN means 'Instant Payment Notification'. Without it, you have to update orders status manually.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

you need IPN to make them work automatically. IPN means 'Instant Payment Notification'. Without it, you have to update orders status manually.

Alex,

That is exactly the question.

How to do the Integration of IPN with paypal Pro.

The configuration fields are different between the two payment modules.

i.e. Paypal Pro does not have the {set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status} field.

Thanks

So you can't have your orders' status upadate automatically with the Paypal Payment Pro module. Is that clear?

Okay I need help with an issue I just now have. I have this whole thing working great and my site is now live, however, now I am going to be selling digital items on ebay as well. I need to use the Paypal IPN URL that's on Paypal as a different one because these don't work with ebay so I have another program for that.

My problem is that you can't have two IPN URLs on the website, so I contacted them and this is what PayPal told me:

You can specify multiple IPN URLs to a single PayPal account. One would be specified in your PayPal account profile which would handle your eBay sales. For the Web site, you can add the following parameter within the button code of your PayPal buttons to direct the IPN to a separate URL.

<INPUT type="hidden" name="notify_url" value="your IPN URL here" >

The value is the URL of the IPN script for the Web site. This process allows you to specify different IPN URLs for each Web site you have plus the one in the profile for your eBay sales.

I notice that you are using the OS Commerce shopping cart. Within the code of the cart, there is a transition button that you can add the parameter to in order to specify the IPN URL for your Web site.

Where exactly would I put this! PLEASE HELP ME!!

Sarah, you don't need to turn on IPN in paypal profile preferences page, neither the URL setting in the same page, for osC paypal IPN module to work. You can set it up for your other program. The URL needed for paypal feedback is already set in the ipn.php, you don't need to change a thing in the osC IPN module.

Sarah, you don't need to turn on IPN in paypal profile preferences page, neither the URL setting in the same page, for osC paypal IPN module to work. You can set it up for your other program. The URL needed for paypal feedback is already set in the ipn.php, you don't need to change a thing in the osC IPN module.

Okay, thank you very much Alex!!

However, I'm having another issue all of a sudden. I put my store down for maintanence and when trying to do some test orders, they aren't going through to Downloads Now Available.

When I try to edit an order to change the status, I'm getting this error:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'from orders where orders_id = '702'' at line 1

select customers_name, customers_email_address, orders_status, date_purchased ipaddy, ipisp, from orders where orders_id = '702'

[TEP STOP]

702 is the last order number but it was working fine before, any ideas?

What did you do? You have Order IP Recorder installed lately? date_purchased ipaddy<-- Doesn't look correct.

On my store. When someone orders and they are given the link to download there item it never downloads the whole file. it stops like the download is done but when you try to unzip it or exe it it always says the file is corrupt. We have checked everything and cant seem to figure it out.

If we send them a direct link to there file everything is fine so i know it is in the script somewhere. We have this installed.

Download_Controllerv5.3 MS2.2_2

pending_downloads_v2.10

usps_shippinglabel_1.9d

google_position_1.3.zip

paypal_wpp_0.7.3.zip

We dont use linux our server is windows based.

Please help.

Did you test the download function with fresh osC on your windows based server? Do you have redirect download turn on in the configuration page?

What did you do? You have Order IP Recorder installed lately? date_purchased ipaddy<-- Doesn't look correct.

I did install it, but it was awhile ago, and I got it working with it for a long time, do you think that could be causing this though?

Did you test the download function with fresh osC on your windows based server? Do you have redirect download turn on in the configuration page?

Redirect is off

yes we tryed a new install

select customers_name, customers_email_address, orders_status, date_purchased ipaddy, ipisp, from orders where orders_id = '702'
I think there is a comma missing between date_purchased and ipaddy.

Guru, does download work in fresh osC? Did you test the file size for download?

I think there is a comma missing between date_purchased and ipaddy.

I think you're right, where can I edit that to put a comma there?

Sarah, which page did you get that error from?

Well I fixed the comma problem, but I guess it didn't have to do with whatever the problem is. When placing test orders, it's still not going through after payment. Hmm...I really don't know what to do, maybe I'll have to start back from square 1 - unfortunately. =\

Actually, I have a question, I've added over 500 products already. If I decide just to start the install all over, is there any way that I can restore just the products so I don't have to add them all over again?

Hello hello,

I'm quite a newbie to OSc (well 6 days since forst install and on 22h/24 h ;)) and completely unware (so far but getting it by bits) of php... anyway just to set up the scheme

I'm gonna set up an music online store and of course understood i need this d/l controller contrib :)

My questions are as followed (sorry they're quite basic first but haven't seen mentionning) :

>>> Can i use this contrib with another way of payment easily (i don't know much about code), as i wanted first to instal a secured payment solutions from ma Bank (Atos system i think) ?

>>> Is it possible for one product to spilt files to be downlaoded (ex : i will sell a double live concert, and rather than having a MP3 file (zipped) of 300 Mo , i would like to give the custumer the possibility of d/l 2 ou 3 files instead (all with the same number of times of d/l permitted of course)

>>> Last dumb question, i don't understand quite well the issue with the status of order that would allow custumer to have access to his file before the payment is succesfull, i've tried to buy on the my file then being registered, made up til the paypal payment page then stop (not entering credit card), opened another window and tried to logg in again... there is nothing yet in my account order history... so what was the trick again for stealing the d/l ? (not that i want to use it, just i want to avoid it !! :-))

Well, hope you could help, thanks

steph

>>> Last dumb question, i don't understand quite well the issue with the status of order that would allow custumer to have access to his file before the payment is succesfull, i've tried to buy on the my file then being registered, made up til the paypal payment page then stop (not entering credit card), opened another window and tried to logg in again... there is nothing yet in my account order history... so what was the trick again for stealing the d/l ? (not that i want to use it, just i want to avoid it !! :-))

Or is this thing is due to installation of Paypal IPN which as far as i have understood place the orders into the data base with a "on hold" status before actual "checkout_succes" has been reached out and thus for preventing lost of data of "non returning custumers" from paypal site ??

ringuet,

>>> Can i use this contrib with another way of payment easily (i don't know much about code), as i wanted first to instal a secured payment solutions from ma Bank (Atos system i think) ?
yes, you can. However, you will need to update those orders status manually, which processed by other payment methods. Instant download will be available automatically only when IPN is chosen and the payment is approved.
>>> Is it possible for one product to spilt files to be downlaoded (ex : i will sell a double live concert, and rather than having a MP3 file (zipped) of 300 Mo , i would like to give the custumer the possibility of d/l 2 ou 3 files instead (all with the same number of times of d/l permitted of course)
No, I don't think so.
I noticed that after the 051113 patch release, the download without payment issue seems to be gone. I didn't test it thoroughly with the fresh installed 051113 package. Download Controller is still recommended.