• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Product Listing in Columns v2.0

djmonkey1

this code really works guys.

BTW, since i use default setting 3 column, and i found out if the 3 items have different length of title, it causes the item has longer title take more space then the one has shorter title take less space, so it shows really unbalance.

any ideas how to fix that?

thanks

sean

I've noticed the same thing, and it's really annoying. There is no automatic fix that I know of, but you could manually adjust it by doing this-

At around line 205 of product_listing_col.php find this section of code:

$lc_text = implode('<br>', $product_contents);
$list_box_contents[$row][$column] = array('align' => 'center',
											//bof product listing with attributes
											'valign' => $lc_valign,
											//eof product listing with attributes
										  'params' => 'class="productListing-data"',
										  'text'  => $lc_text);
$column ++;
if ($x == ($no_of_listings -1)) {
 // fill up the remainder of the table row with empty cells, assumes three products per row!
 if ($column == '1') {
$list_box_contents[$row][$column + 1] = array('align' => 'center',
											'valign' => $lc_valign,
										  'text'  => " ");
	   $column ++;
 }
 if ($column == '2') {
$list_box_contents[$row][$column + 1] = array('align' => 'center',
											'valign' => $lc_valign,
										  'text'  => " ");

and change each line that says

to read

'params' => 'class="productListing-data" width="33%"',

This will force all the columns to be the same width. Note that this is manual edit and so if you want to have only two columns, or four, or whatever, you would have to change the width accordingly.

Someone smarter than me may come up with a way to do this automatically (maybe something like "(1/$columns)%" instead of a raw number), but until then you get a hack. :D

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Order Editor 5.0.6 "Ultra Violet" is now available!

For support or to post comments, suggestions, etc, please visit the Order Editor support thread.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am new to osCommerce, but am setting up my first store. The only thing that I absolutely have to have is the multiple columns - so I downloaded the contribution and have been reading all about it. I understand HTML, but am learning PHP and MySQL right now. My cart is with Netfirms so I can make changes to the files directly (don't need to upload and download...) Anyway - I have what is probably a really really dumb question as to how to make this contribution work.

I understand the instructions from the text file from #2 onward - basically finding code and certain files and adding to it or editing it.

BUT, I don't know how to "do" the first step:

1. First off, the database change.

Run the included list_multi.sql file Do I place this file somewhere in the file structure for my cart and then just execute it? Or, if I do the OR section below - is the entire text supposed to be copied into a file or what am I supposed to do with it (and where am I supposed to do it)?

OR

INSERT INTO configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, date_added) VALUES ('Display Add Multiples column', 'PRODUCT_LIST_MULTIPLE', '0', 'Do you want to display the Multiple Quantity with Attributes column?', '8', '11', now());

INSERT INTO configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, date_added) VALUES ('Display Add Multiples with Buy Now column', 'PRODUCT_LIST_BUY_NOW_MULTIPLE', '0', 'Do you want to display the Multiple Quantity Buy Now with Attributes column?', '8', '12', now());

Be careful with this one. If you have made changed to your configuration table, the "11" and "12" for sort_order will have to change depending on the last item with the configuration_group_id of "8"

I think if I can get past this first step I may be OK :blush: I'm definitely willing to learn and give it a shot.

Thanks so much.

Kerry

I am new to osCommerce, but am setting up my first store. The only thing that I absolutely have to have is the multiple columns - so I downloaded the contribution and have been reading all about it.

I think if I can get past this first step I may be OK :blush: I'm definitely willing to learn and give it a shot.

Thanks so much.

Kerry

Kerry-

It's a modification of the database itself. First thing you should do is go to your admin section and under "Tools" select "Database backup". This is so if anything goes wrong you can restore the database (not likely but you never know). Once on the backup page hit the "backup" button, the page will change slightly, hit the "backup" button now on the right, and that should do it.

Then you can run that sql command on your database- there should be some way for you to login to your database interface. Once there it depends on what program your webhost is running, and what version, but most use phpMyAdmin, so my instructions should help somewhat. It might take a little digging around (it'll be good experience), but you're looking for a link that says "Query window" or a tab that says "SQL". Once you click on either you should see a page or window with a text box for entering the SQL command as well as an input box with browse button for uploading the file directly from your computer. It's an either or- what I would do is copy and paste the entire SQL command into the text box and click go. If you're not comfortable with that then use the browse function and upload the file from whereever you store it on your computer. Once this step is complete, you should see some sort of display indicating that the query was successful, and you're done.

Hope this helps,

Stew

For support or to post comments, suggestions, etc, please visit the Order Editor support thread.

Thanks Stew,

I will dig into this today and see what I can see! Your guidance should give me a good start. If I get stuck on a particular point I'll post a more specific question about it.

Thanks again!

Kerry

I am new to osCommerce, but am setting up my first store. The only thing that I absolutely have to have is the multiple columns - so I downloaded the contribution and have been reading all about it. I understand HTML, but am learning PHP and MySQL right now. My cart is with Netfirms so I can make changes to the files directly (don't need to upload and download...)

The only thing bad about editing the files directly is that if you make a mistake then you don't have a backup. So you should always download the file first, save a copy, then make your edit and upload. Everyone makes mistakes now and then, so it's better to be safe than sorry B)

Edited by jeffy777

Yes!!! It works - I now have multiple columns!!

Stew - your info guided me to my database and all the areas I need in order to access it. I NEVER would have found this area on my own! Thanks for your quick help.

And per the previous post - I definitely will backup before making any changes to files or database. Thanks!

Edited by kerryv

Hi there

I've installed 2.1 and everything is working great - easy install, works just as it says in the readme - gotta love it!

However, I also have "Control Login" contribution installed, which has added the code so that when someone adds product, it checks if they are logged in as yet - and if not - redirects them to the login page. I also have "Login view price 4.1" installed with hides the price unless you are logged in.

My problem is that now, I can add product to the cart from the multi-columns when I'm not logged in, and the cart infobox displays the total price... no good.

I'm pretty sure it to do with the application_top.php changes...where I have to add;

case 'buy_now_form' : if (isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id']) && is_numeric($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id'])) {

$cart->add_cart($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id'], $cart->get_quantity(tep_get_uprid($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id'], $HTTP_POST_VARS['id']))+($HTTP_POST_VARS['cart_quantity']), $HTTP_POST_VARS['id']);

// replace quantities $cart->get_quantity($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id'])-($cart->get_quantity($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id']))+($HTTP_POST_VARS['cart_quantity']), $HTTP_POST_VARS['id']);

}

tep_redirect(tep_href_link($goto, tep_get_all_get_params($parameters)));

break;

// customer adds multiple products from the products_listing page

case 'add_multiple' :

while ( list( $key, $val ) = each( $HTTP_POST_VARS ) )

{

if (substr($key,0,11) == "Qty_ProdId_" || substr($key,0,11) == "Qty_NPrdId_")

{

$prodId = substr($key, 11);

$qty = $val;

if ($qty <= 0 ) continue;

if(isset($HTTP_POST_VARS["id_$prodId"]) && is_array($HTTP_POST_VARS["id_$prodId"])) {

// We have attributes

$cart->add_cart($prodId, $cart->get_quantity(tep_get_uprid($prodId,$HTTP_POST_VARS["id_$prodId"]))+$qty, $HTTP_POST_VARS["id_$prodId"]);

} else {

// No attributes

$cart->add_cart($prodId, $cart->get_quantity($prodId)+$qty);

}

}

}

break;

My existing code in that area is

// customer adds a product from the products page

case 'add_product' :

// if the customer is not logged on, redirect them to the login page

if (!tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) {

$navigation->set_snapshot();

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGIN, '', 'SSL'));

} else {

if (isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id']) && is_numeric($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id'])) {

$cart->add_cart($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id'], $cart->get_quantity(tep_get_uprid($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id'], $HTTP_POST_VARS['id'])) + $HTTP_POST_VARS['cart_quantity'], $HTTP_POST_VARS['id']);

}

}

break;

// performed by the 'buy now' button in product listings and review page

case 'buy_now' :

} else {

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'])) {

if (tep_has_product_attributes($HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'])) {

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id']));

} else {

$cart->add_cart($HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'], $cart->get_quantity($HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'])+1);

}

}

}

break;

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Tim

Hi there

I've installed 2.1 and everything is working great - easy install, works just as it says in the readme - gotta love it!

However, I also have "Control Login" contribution installed, which has added the code so that when someone adds product, it checks if they are logged in as yet - and if not - redirects them to the login page. I also have "Login view price 4.1" installed with hides the price unless you are logged in.

My problem is that now, I can add product to the cart from the multi-columns when I'm not logged in, and the cart infobox displays the total price... no good.

I'm pretty sure it to do with the application_top.php changes...where I have to add;

My existing code in that area is

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Tim

Have you tried this:

case 'add_product' :
} else {
if (isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id']) && is_numeric($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id'])) {
$cart->add_cart($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id'], $cart->get_quantity(tep_get_uprid($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id'], $HTTP_POST_VARS['id'])) + $HTTP_POST_VARS['cart_quantity'], $HTTP_POST_VARS['id']);
}
}
break;
case 'buy_now_form' : if (isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id']) && is_numeric($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id'])) {
$cart->add_cart($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id'], $cart->get_quantity(tep_get_uprid($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id'], $HTTP_POST_VARS['id']))+($HTTP_POST_VARS['cart_quantity']), $HTTP_POST_VARS['id']);
// replace quantities $cart->get_quantity($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id'])-($cart->get_quantity($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id']))+($HTTP_POST_VARS['cart_quantity']), $HTTP_POST_VARS['id']);
}
break;
case 'add_multiple' :
{
{
$qty = $val;
if(isset($HTTP_POST_VARS["id_$prodId"]) && is_array($HTTP_POST_VARS["id_$prodId"])) {
// We have attributes
$cart->add_cart($prodId, $cart->get_quantity(tep_get_uprid($prodId,$HTTP_POST_VARS["id_$prodId"]))+$qty, $HTTP_POST_VARS["id_$prodId"]);
} else {
// No attributes
}
}
}
break;
case 'buy_now' :
} else {
tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id']));
} else {
$cart->add_cart($HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'], $cart->get_quantity($HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'])+1);
}
}
}
break;

Yes!!! It works - I now have multiple columns!!

Stew - your info guided me to my database and all the areas I need in order to access it. I NEVER would have found this area on my own! Thanks for your quick help.

And per the previous post - I definitely will backup before making any changes to files or database. Thanks!

You're welcome Kerry, glad to hear it's working for you.

Stew

Thanks, but nope - still no go...

I think it is the area

case 'add_multiple' :

{

{

$qty = $val;

// We have attributes

} else {

// No attributes

}

}

}

break;

I feel it needs something like

} else {

But I have no skill in this area at all and I get errors when I add it...

I REALLY appreciate your help...

What errors?

How about this:

case 'add_product' :
} else {
}
}
break;
case 'buy_now_form' :
} else {
}
}
break;
case 'add_multiple' :
} else {
{
{
$qty = $val;
// We have attributes
} else {
// No attributes
}
}
}
}
break;
case 'buy_now' :
} else {
} else {
}
}
}
break;

Edited by djmonkey1

to Author - thank you for sharing your work with us..

could you please, explain me this in detail, i am not familiar with php (sorry, but i am trying...hard...)-

INSERT INTO configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, date_added) VALUES ('Display Add Multiples column', 'PRODUCT_LIST_MULTIPLE', '0', 'Do you want to display the Multiple Quantity with Attributes column?', '8', '11', now());

INSERT INTO configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, date_added) VALUES ('Display Add Multiples with Buy Now column', 'PRODUCT_LIST_BUY_NOW_MULTIPLE', '0', 'Do you want to display the Multiple Quantity Buy Now with Attributes column?', '8', '12', now());

thank you ,

Elena.

Sometimes, ignorance is not bliss.

ok, i opened the database in phpadmin, then i selected 'configuration' , then i see it's 'field', 'types', etc... what should i do here?

it's ok, if you are not the author - thank you, anyway...

i think i should select 'configuration' after i opened database, right? then i have choice to open the file, which will be (i think) the file from the contribution - list_multi.sql

sorry... feeling so stupid...

to Author - thank you for sharing your work with us..

could you please, explain me this in detail, i am not familiar with php (sorry, but i am trying...hard...)-

thank you ,

Elena.

These aren't instructions for you to follow. It's as Jeff has explained, this is a script that must be run on the database. Also, the script you've posted above should be identical to the contents of the .sql file- it's not do one then the other, it's an either-or. Either you manually run the script, or you point phpMyAdmin to the location of the .sql file.

I actually posted an explanation for this a few weeks/months ago, so rather than typing it all again I'll just quote it:

It's a modification of the database itself. First thing you should do is go to your admin section and under "Tools" select "Database backup". This is so if anything goes wrong you can restore the database (not likely but you never know). Once on the backup page hit the "backup" button, the page will change slightly, hit the "backup" button now on the right, and that should do it.

Then you can run that sql command on your database- there should be some way for you to login to your database interface. Once there it depends on what program your webhost is running, and what version, but most use phpMyAdmin, so my instructions should help somewhat. It might take a little digging around (it'll be good experience), but you're looking for a link that says "Query window" or a tab that says "SQL". Once you click on either you should see a page or window with a text box for entering the SQL command as well as an input box with browse button for uploading the file directly from your computer. It's an either or- what I would do is copy and paste the entire SQL command into the text box and click go. If you're not comfortable with that then use the browse function and upload the file from whereever you store it on your computer. Once this step is complete, you should see some sort of display indicating that the query was successful, and you're done.

Hope this helps,

Stew

I hope this helps- if you have more questions please let us know.

Good luck,

Stew

Hello! I have implemented the contribution (thank you!) on a client's storefront, but wondered if you could help me?

I would like the columns to only display TWO columns, versus three.

In your product_listing_col.php file, I assume, where do I change this?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

:thumbsup:

Find ($column >= 3) and change it to ($column >= 2)

Hi! Thank you for such a quick reply! I actually changed that later, but still cannot get from three columns down to two..? I have quite a bit of contributions here that are added to the storefront, however, I haven't modified the product_info_col.php file except for that change.

Anywhere else to change?

THANKS!

Perfect instructions, HUGE improvement to my clients site. The entire setup took less than 5 minutes to install, other current mod is STS3b and everyuthing worked perfect the first time.

Thanks for this work of ART.

Hi! Thank you for such a quick reply! I actually changed that later, but still cannot get from three columns down to two..? I have quite a bit of contributions here that are added to the storefront, however, I haven't modified the product_info_col.php file except for that change.

Anywhere else to change?

THANKS!

I fixed it! I OVERLOOKED in my editing program-- sorry!!

Thank you for the wonderful contribution!