• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Active Countries

Hey this is a real cool thing ~ thanks

Having an interesting problem though, we only ship to continental USA, so just one country & 48 states.

While creating a new account, certain states return the error "state must contain a minimum of 2 characters"

I haven't tested them all but the only states that bring the error are those that start with the letter "A" like Arizona, Arkansas, etc.

everything else seems to work !

The nature of this odd problem might point a better coder to the spot ~ at this point I checked from the db & admin, nothing looks different about the A-states.

I've tried the change Enigma put in post 153 (page 8) this thread, but that made no difference.

This is a live store and we've been processing orders since we added active countries ~ all were from other non-"A" states. It was an A-state person who called to alert us during a phone order, he was unable to make an account.

Any thoughts or ideas???

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to add all the States to the US manually (instead of adding the US with all zones) and Canada is on the first page so I was able to add it with all zones, but I need to add all the rest of the countries to my "Rest of the World" zone. Anyone know what's going on? Thanks.

The module uses the MAX_DISPLAY_SEARCH_RESULTS definitions (from the dbase same one for your products listings) to break the pages. So you could either change the number manually by replacing the constant in the geo_zones.php or you could create another definition in the database and use it. Now if you add all states of a country in a zone, the code will override individual entries (will remove them) and replace them with the all countries. One other thing to remember is that you need to select the entries from the tick-boxes.

Having an interesting problem though, we only ship to continental USA, so just one country & 48 states.

While creating a new account, certain states return the error "state must contain a minimum of 2 characters"

I haven't tested them all but the only states that bring the error are those that start with the letter "A" like Arizona, Arkansas, etc.

everything else seems to work !

The nature of this odd problem might point a better coder to the spot ~ at this point I checked from the db & admin, nothing looks different about the A-states.

I've tried the change Enigma put in post 153 (page 8) this thread, but that made no difference.

This is a live store and we've been processing orders since we added active countries ~ all were from other non-"A" states. It was an A-state person who called to alert us during a phone order, he was unable to make an account.

It's irrelevant to this module. This is bug with the latest osc release. There was an earlier post about it.

It's irrelevant to this module. This is bug with the latest osc release. There was an earlier post about it.

Well thats good, I guess. Not sure what to search on to find it, bugs?

I found out changing the minimum state size to 1 in admin fixed the problem. At least, it fixes it so the customer can open an account. I haven't run through all the states or any real testing of purchases, but the size error is gone from the "A" states.

So does this bug only deal with A's? That's what we've been saying all afternoon, "we have an A-hole on the website".

Thanks!

Well thats good, I guess. Not sure what to search on to find it, bugs?

I found out changing the minimum state size to 1 in admin fixed the problem. At least, it fixes it so the customer can open an account. I haven't run through all the states or any real testing of purchases, but the size error is gone from the "A" states.

So does this bug only deal with A's? That's what we've been saying all afternoon, "we have an A-hole on the website".

Thanks!

Here it is again:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?s=&...st&p=950333

you may want to read that news announcements thread and deploy the fix that was discussed because this thread is for the active countries.

And also from this:

Means you havent even installed the contribution so why you're asking here?

Edited by enigma1

"state must contain a minimum of 2 characters"

Means you haven't even installed the contribution so why you're asking here?

Thanks for the link. We've had this contrib running live for the last month ~ works great: shipping, payments, customer emails, no problems except as noted above.

While I agree it doesn't make any since that the 2 character error comes up when the drop down works for every state but Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona.

I did test the rest, all but those and Alaska work just fine.

And the fix I seem to have found [change admin configuration minimum value state] doesn't really make much since either. BTW it works fine set at 1 or 0, but it won't do 2

The script, somehow is tripping on state names that begin with A, or something. It just doesn't make much since. The live install is pretty new, last Nov. so I'm not sure about updating it already.

Thanks for the link. We've had this contrib running live for the last month ~ works great: shipping, payments, customer emails, no problems except as noted above.

While I agree it doesn't make any since that the 2 character error comes up when the drop down works for every state but Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona.

I did test the rest, all but those and Alaska work just fine.

And the fix I seem to have found [change admin configuration minimum value state] doesn't really make much since either. BTW it works fine set at 1 or 0, but it won't do 2

The script, somehow is tripping on state names that begin with A, or something. It just doesn't make much since. The live install is pretty new, last Nov. so I'm not sure about updating it already.

which version of the contribution are you using? Because that error cannot be displayed as it doesn't exist. That code was removed from the create_account.php. So make sure you followed the install instructions. See item-3f in the documentation and compare the create_account.php with one of the contribution.

The module uses the MAX_DISPLAY_SEARCH_RESULTS definitions (from the dbase same one for your products listings) to break the pages. So you could either change the number manually by replacing the constant in the geo_zones.php or you could create another definition in the database and use it. Now if you add all states of a country in a zone, the code will override individual entries (will remove them) and replace them with the all countries. One other thing to remember is that you need to select the entries from the tick-boxes.

Sorry for the late reply, been really sick for a while. I ended up doing some manual URL manipulation to get to the next pages and add the countries. I'm still curious as to why the problem is happening, though.

Also, I don't know if the problem is with this contribution or with something I am doing incorrectly, but I cannot get shipping to all 3 zones to work properly (USA, Canada, Rest of the World). I know it was working before adding the contribution. I added multiple flat rate shipping based on Monika Math's instructions in her book Deep Inside osCommerce (essentially, clone flat.php, do multiple replaces). Getting one to work seems to break another even though no changes are being made to it. I've redone the shipping/zone stuff tons of times but I'm completely lost. Anyone have any ideas?

Finally, it seems like the contribution isn't set up to handle the case where a country doesn't have zones. It gives you a drop-down box with no options and won't let you proceed without selecting one, which you can't do. Is this the case or did I screw up somewhere installing it?

Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply, been really sick for a while. I ended up doing some manual URL manipulation to get to the next pages and add the countries. I'm still curious as to why the problem is happening, though.

Also, I don't know if the problem is with this contribution or with something I am doing incorrectly, but I cannot get shipping to all 3 zones to work properly (USA, Canada, Rest of the World). I know it was working before adding the contribution. I added multiple flat rate shipping based on Monika Math's instructions in her book Deep Inside osCommerce (essentially, clone flat.php, do multiple replaces). Getting one to work seems to break another even though no changes are being made to it. I've redone the shipping/zone stuff tons of times but I'm completely lost. Anyone have any ideas?

Finally, it seems like the contribution isn't set up to handle the case where a country doesn't have zones. It gives you a drop-down box with no options and won't let you proceed without selecting one, which you can't do. Is this the case or did I screw up somewhere installing it?

Thanks.

For the countries that don't have zones it is documented since v2.00

- Now enforcing zones_id. Zones Name option no longer supported. Countries must have associated zones for the contribution to operate properly. See the Notes and Database Changes sections for more info.

It was the reason I added the world zones sql file to the active countries archive.

Now going for the switching pages issue yes that's a bug with in the catalog\admin\geo_zones.php.

Open that file locate this code:

<td class="smallText" align="right"><?php echo $countries_split->display_links($countries_query_numrows, MAX_DISPLAY_SEARCH_RESULTS, MAX_DISPLAY_PAGE_LINKS, $HTTP_GET_VARS['mcpage'], 'mcpage=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['mcpage'] . '&mcID=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['mcID'] . '&action=multi_countries&zpage=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['zpage'] . '&spage=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['spage'], 'mcpage'); ?></td>

Replace it with this:

<td class="smallText" align="right"><?php echo $countries_split->display_links($countries_query_numrows, MAX_DISPLAY_SEARCH_RESULTS, MAX_DISPLAY_PAGE_LINKS, $HTTP_GET_VARS['mcpage'], 'mcID=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['mcID'] . '&action=multi_countries&zpage=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['zpage'] . '&spage=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['spage'], 'mcpage'); ?></td>

I saw it after I set all countries to the active state. Earlier I was looking at the wrong place. So this fix will be included with the next version.

I forgot to mention exactly HOW the shipping wasn't working. When it gets to the Delivery Information screen (checkout_shipping.php) there is no shipping option to select. In fact, the entire table for it is missing. It goes straight from Shipping address to Add comments about your order (see picture below).

ship%20missing.jpg

The US shipping always works, but if I get shipping to Canada to work, it breaks international shipping and vice versa (although now BOTH don't work). Strange.

For the countries that don't have zones it is documented since v2.00

It was the reason I added the world zones sql file to the active countries archive.

What do you suggest for countries that don't have zones? Just add a 'none' zone?

Now going for the switching pages issue yes that's a bug with in the catalog\admin\geo_zones.php.

Open that file locate this code:

<td class="smallText" align="right"><?php echo $countries_split->display_links($countries_query_numrows, MAX_DISPLAY_SEARCH_RESULTS, MAX_DISPLAY_PAGE_LINKS, $HTTP_GET_VARS['mcpage'], 'mcpage=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['mcpage'] . '&mcID=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['mcID'] . '&action=multi_countries&zpage=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['zpage'] . '&spage=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['spage'], 'mcpage'); ?></td>

Replace it with this:

<td class="smallText" align="right"><?php echo $countries_split->display_links($countries_query_numrows, MAX_DISPLAY_SEARCH_RESULTS, MAX_DISPLAY_PAGE_LINKS, $HTTP_GET_VARS['mcpage'], 'mcID=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['mcID'] . '&action=multi_countries&zpage=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['zpage'] . '&spage=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['spage'], 'mcpage'); ?></td>

I saw it after I set all countries to the active state. Earlier I was looking at the wrong place. So this fix will be included with the next version.

I don't see this code in my geo_zones.php file. About what line is it for you? The only file I have that contains a reference to '$countries_split' is countries.php under admin.

I don't see this code in my geo_zones.php file. About what line is it for you? The only file I have that contains a reference to '$countries_split' is countries.php under admin.

Nevermind. I was looking at an old copy stored locally. I replaced the line as you instructed, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I use the following URL manipulation to get to the page properly (essentially just appending '&mcpage=2' to the end of the first page's URL):

/admin/geo_zones.php?zpage=1&spage=1&zID=2&sID=&action=multi_countries&mcpage=2

and this is what I get if I click Next from the first page:

/admin/geo_zones.php?mcID=&action=multi_countries&zpage=1&spage=1&mcpage=2

Thanks for the help.

Nevermind. I was looking at an old copy stored locally. I replaced the line as you instructed, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I use the following URL manipulation to get to the page properly (essentially just appending '&mcpage=2' to the end of the first page's URL):

/admin/geo_zones.php?zpage=1&spage=1&zID=2&sID=&action=multi_countries&mcpage=2

and this is what I get if I click Next from the first page:

/admin/geo_zones.php?mcID=&action=multi_countries&zpage=1&spage=1&mcpage=2

Thanks for the help.

Get the geo_zones.php from v2.02 and apply the fix as mentioned above. This is what I did here. And it's working.

What do you suggest for countries that don't have zones? Just add a 'none' zone?

Add the zones manually from your osc admin. I believe all countries have states or counties or something similar. Otherwise if you want just one put the name of the country as a zone too or a zone like "all areas".

I forgot to mention exactly HOW the shipping wasn't working. When it gets to the Delivery Information screen (checkout_shipping.php) there is no shipping option to select. In fact, the entire table for it is missing. It goes straight from Shipping address to Add comments about your order (see picture below).

well now, active countries does not touch the catalog\checkout_shipping.php page right? So this comes from someplace else with some custom thing you have.

Get the geo_zones.php from v2.02 and apply the fix as mentioned above. This is what I did here. And it's working.

That's the version I installed. I uploaded the file replacing the old one and made the changes you noted but it's still not working. Perhaps there's an error somewhere else in my install.

Add the zones manually from your osc admin. I believe all countries have states or counties or something similar. Otherwise if you want just one put the name of the country as a zone too or a zone like "all areas".

That sounds like a better idea than what I did (inserting a zone called none).

well now, active countries does not touch the catalog\checkout_shipping.php page right? So this comes from someplace else with some custom thing you have.

That's true, but don't osCommerce files all interact with each other? Is it possible that a change to another file might manifest itself as an error in checkout_shipping.php? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's the fault of your contrib, I'm sure it's something I did incorrectly, especially given the other problems, but it did seem strange that it was working before I installed Active Countries but now it doesn't. Are there any contributions that yours is known to conflict with? When I get the time I think I'll go over the installation again to make sure I did everything correctly.

Sorry for the slow response.

Wondering if you find the head in my create_account.php

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">
<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>
<base href="<?php echo (($request_type == 'SSL') ? HTTPS_SERVER : HTTP_SERVER) . DIR_WS_CATALOG; ?>">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css">
<?php require('includes/form_check.js.php'); ?>
<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2" SRC="includes/menu_animation.js"></SCRIPT>
</head>

....interesting, it links to line 117 in form_check.js.php....

<?php if (ACCOUNT_STATE == 'true') echo '  check_input("state", ' . ENTRY_STATE_MIN_LENGTH . ', "' . ENTRY_STATE_ERROR . '");' . "\n"; ?>

Do you think there could be any problem with both the js form_check and menu_animation scripts running at the same time, maybe I should try switching the order or something?

Any thoughts, better ideas, or links would be much appreciated.

Again, thanks for this, it's running fine as far as customers are concerned.

I just have it figured as some sort of interaction between active countries and coolmenu....

the latter of course is what requires the menu_animation.js

That's the version I installed. I uploaded the file replacing the old one and made the changes you noted but it's still not working. Perhaps there's an error somewhere else in my install.

Perhaps. However this geo_zones.php file has very few dependencies other than the dbase. In any case post the file contents here (the one you're seeing the error) so I can try it and see if I can replicate the problem.

That's true, but don't osCommerce files all interact with each other? Is it possible that a change to another file might manifest itself as an error in checkout_shipping.php? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's the fault of your contrib, I'm sure it's something I did incorrectly, especially given the other problems, but it did seem strange that it was working before I installed Active Countries but now it doesn't.

Not all osc files interact with each other. The files at the root level (catalog\ folder) are usually independent. Critical ones are those loaded by the application_top.php file which in turn almost every root level script uses. The problem you have with checkout shipping is elsewhere (at least for the display issue) Because you must have some custom code in that file that controls whether or not to display the change address button. With the default osc there is no such code.

Are there any contributions that yours is known to conflict with? When I get the time I think I'll go over the installation again to make sure I did everything correctly.

Plenty. The key is to follow the manual instructions for each contribution. Even so for heavily customized stores you may need to further enhance the installation code to interact properly with the rest of the custom modules. Remember the closest I can get to replicate a problem you report, is by using the stock osc. And I cannot help unless I know the logic behind your argument something specific.

Edited by enigma1

Sorry for the slow response.

Wondering if you find the head in my create_account.php

Do you think there could be any problem with both the js form_check and menu_animation scripts running at the same time, maybe I should try switching the order or something?

Any thoughts, better ideas, or links would be much appreciated.

Again, thanks for this, it's running fine as far as customers are concerned.

I just have it figured as some sort of interaction between active countries and coolmenu....

the latter of course is what requires the menu_animation.js

I see...., There is something in the "Notes" section in the readme file

Workaround for the jscript check when changing the address book.

There is a jscript check from the osc default code which expects the state to be at least 2 characters in length. An error message may occur when the customer modifies the country as the state variable is always initialized via the state drop-down list. To get around the error goto your osC Admin->Configuration->Minimum Values->State and set it to 1. There is extra error checking for the state by the active countries module which covers for this.

Have you done that? Make sure you have followed the installation steps and read the document carefully.

Perhaps. However this geo_zones.php file has very few dependencies other than the dbase. In any case post the file contents here (the one you're seeing the error) so I can try it and see if I can replicate the problem.

After studying the URLs and the code, I made a small change that fixed the problem. I changed the following code (the one you submitted earlier on this page):

To this:

<td class="smallText" align="right"><?php echo $countries_split->display_links($countries_query_numrows, MAX_DISPLAY_SEARCH_RESULTS, MAX_DISPLAY_PAGE_LINKS, $HTTP_GET_VARS['mcpage'], 'zID=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['zID'] . '&action=multi_countries&zpage=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['zpage'] . '&spage=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['spage'], 'mcpage'); ?></td>

I simply changed mcID to zID. I figured it wasn't passing the Zone ID to the URL and so it was going to the next page, but no longer in the correct zone. Works fine now. Thanks for the help.

Not all osc files interact with each other. The files at the root level (catalog\ folder) are usually independent. Critical ones are those loaded by the application_top.php file which in turn almost every root level script uses. The problem you have with checkout shipping is elsewhere (at least for the display issue) Because you must have some custom code in that file that controls whether or not to display the change address button. With the default osc there is no such code.

Plenty. The key is to follow the manual instructions for each contribution. Even so for heavily customized stores you may need to further enhance the installation code to interact properly with the rest of the custom modules. Remember the closest I can get to replicate a problem you report, is by using the stock osc. And I cannot help unless I know the logic behind your argument something specific.

I followed the manual instructions closely, especially since they were so well written, but I think this weekend I'm going to go over them again and make sure I didn't screw anything up. I think I'll also do a vanilla install of osC and add the multiple flat rate shipping on that and then compare code with my store to see where the difference might be. I'm sure if I had any clue what I was doing I could track it down. Thanks again for your help and for writing this contrib.

Yes this is correct. I missed the zID and had this mcID that is not used anywhere. Thats a bug with the module. So in the geo_zones.php from v2.02

find:

change it to:

<td class="smallText" align="right"><?php echo $countries_split->display_links($countries_query_numrows, MAX_DISPLAY_SEARCH_RESULTS, MAX_DISPLAY_PAGE_LINKS, $HTTP_GET_VARS['mcpage'], 'zID=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['zID'] . '&action=multi_countries&zpage=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['zpage'] . '&spage=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['spage'], 'mcpage'); ?></td>

I will include it with the next release, thanks for spotting this.

Yes this is correct. I missed the zID and had this mcID that is not used anywhere. Thats a bug with the module. So in the geo_zones.php from v2.02

I will include it with the next release, thanks for spotting this.

No problem, thanks for all your help. I also FINALLY fixed the shipping problem. I uninstalled a local pickup module and everything works great. I think I broke it while installing Active Countries, I'm not sure. But since I don't really need it, I don't care either. I'm not even really sure exactly where the problem was. All I know is I finally have international shipping set up and that's all that matters.

Thanks again for this great contribution.

The worldzones sql file uploaded on 1/30/07 in the active countries should not be used. There was a reason for the specific order I originally placed with the mysql worldzones file within the active countries archive and that was to maintain compatibility with the default dbase entries of osc.

So if you use the 1/30/07 worldzones sql file it will break your store. This is true especially with seasoned stores as the zone_id in various other tables (like the customers tables) are not synchronized. Use the one from v2.02. I will try to integrate the other change for the characters issue with the next version.

The worldzones sql file uploaded on 1/30/07 in the active countries should not be used. There was a reason for the specific order I originally placed with the mysql worldzones file within the active countries archive and that was to maintain compatibility with the default dbase entries of osc.

So if you use the 1/30/07 worldzones sql file it will break your store. This is true especially with seasoned stores as the zone_id in various other tables (like the customers tables) are not synchronized. Use the one from v2.02. I will try to integrate the other change for the characters issue with the next version.

Hmmmm, I wonder if that could have been the source of my problems? I uploaded that file. Things seems to be working now, should I reimport the .sql file from 2.02?

Hmmmm, I wonder if that could have been the source of my problems? I uploaded that file. Things seems to be working now, should I reimport the .sql file from 2.02?

The customer address book table is the major concern. There is no editing capability for the address books in osc so you will need to use something like phpmyadmin and check if the entry_zone_id if it matches the one specified in the zones table and zones_to_geo_zones tables. Likely it won't because that latest sql file does not respect the original zones (ie states) order. Use the one from 2.02. And either correct or remove the address book entries that were generated using that latest sql file.

Just saw this today, I was under the impression that the poster used the sql file from 2.02 to do the characters mods. Unfortunately that's not the case so do not use it.

Edited by enigma1

Sorry if that caused a problem. Although the only thing I did was to re-order the countries by alphabetic order, so it would be easier to find them, since some countries were out of place. I did use the sql file from previous version but I didn't change any zone_id, so the alphabetic order shouldn't matter, right? At least I didn't think so. Sorry about that. :(

Patty

Sorry if that caused a problem. Although the only thing I did was to re-order the countries by alphabetic order, so it would be easier to find them, since some countries were out of place. I did use the sql file from previous version but I didn't change any zone_id, so the alphabetic order shouldn't matter, right? At least I didn't think so. Sorry about that. :(

It's at the end of the documentation, the order of the zones/states is important. Along with backing-up the database fortunately.

World Zones

If you operate your store with an international market use the included world zones sql file that inserts states from almost every country around the world. You could alternatively install the World Zones contribution.

The difference is that the included sql file maintains the default zones and identifiers of the default osC database. Therefore existing accounts of customers with respect to the registered country/state will not be altered. Either case backup your database before installing the world_zones_sequential sql file.

Version 2.10 was released with the following modifications:

- Fix to to geo zones countries mode page splitting.

- Fix to correctly display errors when no country changes from the drop-down list.

- Fixed Customer Insert/update errors/warnings

- Added countries selection shipping.

- Added countries selection billing.

- Added address book entries insert/update support with osC Admin.

- Added countries sort order

- Moved state ID notes into the main requirements section.

Should address some the past requests to differentiate countries for shipping and payment purposes. There are independent controls now under the countries page in osc Admin along with a sort order. The sort order takes effect on the catalog end for the drop-down countries list.

The other major improvement is the ability to edit/insert/delete address book entries for each customer via the osc admin. These new options are available from the customers page in osc Admin.