• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Hiding the price of a product

erikwoods

I'm making a store for a dealer that sells tin ceiling tiles (in bulk).

This is my problem.

I have 23 different patterns, and each pattern can have a color. There are 42 colors. They can also be a different type of tile (3 types). Some of the different colors and tile types make the price of the tile change in price.

So I was thinking about making 23 products- one for each pattern... with a base price of $0.

Each product could have the type and the color changed. I don't want them to see the base price for the product before the changes. The base product price for each pattern is going to be $0, and then if they select a type called SnapLock, it adds $12 to each tile (they will be buying in bulk). If they instead choose a type called Dropin or Nailup, it adds $8 to each tile. If they select a different color, it could add anywhere up to $20 depending on what color they choose.

It is ok for them to see the price added for each type of tile and each color, but I don't want them to see the base price of $0.

I'm open to suggestions or an easier way of categorizing/organizing the products.

I'm new to this.

One thing I don't want to do is create a product for every possible type of tile the customer could buy.

could you make the base price for each pattern the cheapest that the pattern could be. for instance the cheapest option for "pattern a" is $12 a tile. the only colors that are at this price is white and black. so when they chose those colors the price increase would be 0. however the red tile costs $14 a tile so when they chose red tiles the price increase would be $2 and then if they want to have drop in or nail up the price increase would be $8.

or you could create 2898 different products :-"

I thought this stuff was gonna be easy!!

BACK IT UP BEFORE YOU JACK IT UP!!!!

Yes I originally planned on setting the lowest price to $8 and then adjusting prices to suit that. But they'd still see the base price of $8. This is actually what I plan on doing if I can't hide the price.

HOWEVER, I don't want them to see the $8 either... it just makes it look unprofessional-like. Maybe it's just me. They won't see the changes until after they add it.

I dont know.

I'm open to other suggestions of ordering/organizing these products.

ok, but I dont understand why the product attributes osc has wont do what you're asking. Since for each attribute you will have a price tag it will always added at the top of the $0 base.

It does exactly what I want it to do.

The problem is that I don't want them to see the base price of $0 before they change the attributes (which would be tile type and color).

So basically I just want it to show the product. Then when they change the attributes it shows up in the cart. I don't want it to say "Product 1- $0" in the main shopping site. Just "Product 1" and then the rest should be fine because it shows the prices in the drop down list for the attributes.

I can only write the logic on this idea I do not know the syntax:

is it possible to add some code where the price is generated like

if price = 0 then

price.color = background.color

I do not know how this would work but I have done it in VB before and it worked pretty well. I do not know how it would react with the stylesheet.

oh ok got it now. I thought it will append the default price but it doesnt.

If there is something in the contributions (dont know that) will save lots of time.

Otherwise you need to change the products related files and pick-up the default attribute (say the first one) and add it to the total price (for display only because you dont want to change the calculations). Now try it first with product_info make it work there

There is a products_attributes query already there but you want to move it to the top of your file so when it displays the price your attribute value will be already set

here is your query:

$products_options_name_query = tep_db_query("select distinct popt.products_options_id, popt.products_options_name from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_OPTIONS . " popt, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES . " patrib where patrib.products_id='" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and patrib.options_id = popt.products_options_id and popt.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "' order by popt.products_options_name");
     while ($products_options_name = tep_db_fetch_array($products_options_name_query)) {

probably you need both while loops and you dont care about the "if" statement since you always pickup a default. However you have now your attribute value from this:

$currencies->display_price($products_options['options_values_price'], tep_get_tax_rate($product_info['products_tax_class_id']))

assign it to a new variable like say $attrl_price, then the code that outputs the price is probably something like this in that file:

<td class="pageHeading" align="right" valign="top"><?php echo $products_price; ?></td>

so instead display a $total_price for the sum of the 2.

Once you have this working repeat for the other files (new products, specials etc) lots of trivial work but hey should work. The one I am not sure is the shopping cart itself probably will need additional mods.

mwstison- that would probably work if someone knew how to do it.

I'd need to be able to change the color of the text, though... because I plan on putting the store into a custom template... which I have not yet figured out yet with STS or BTS.

enigma- I'm not sure you understand what I'm trying to do.

First you would need to find the code that generates the product listings. I looked but cannot figure it out. Hopefully it would be in only one place. I will keep looking and see if I can figure it out. I am almost sure that it could be done.

Maybe someone smart will stop in here and straighten us out. :)

Wow you're doing that just for me? Don't I feel special. Haha.

Thanks for the help.

I hope someone will be able to help me.

If I incorporate a template type thing can I just not include the base price before the attributes are applied? That would be even better.

Also, can you make a particular drop down item be the default selected item? For example: let's say I want the "Unfinished Tin" color to be the default color. Can I do that?

I have recieved alot of help from this forum so all I can do is try to give some back.

I also just realized how much work this is going to take.

Are you planning on uploading the products and attributes or entering them manually?

it is possible to have unfinished tin as the default color.

from what I tested when you create the products attributes the default option is the last option created. if you want to see what I have done go to www.ckinfluences.com/store/catalog/ and click on the tile product. should be on the left under new products.

that's cool but I don't think it will work when I need to add more colors.

I think that the last color that you add will always be the first one in the box. If you always add the unfinished last I think that it should work.

Also I put a little thought to the whole idea and I do not think that the drop in / nail up options should add any cost. instead add the 8 dollars to the price associated with the color. this way the drop in / nail up options will not add any extra cost and the snap lock will only add $4. I think that as a customer I would be more comfortable with that. just one less cost to add on. I think the customer will recieve this better!

have you heard of Easy Populate? I think that it could really help you out.

it makes adding products and features much easier.

You can't add the price asoociated with dropin/nailup with the color.

If a customer buys nailup or dropin there is a difference- it needs to be shown somehow to both the buyer and the store owner.

If I just add $8 to every color plus what the color is, then how would I specify whether they got dropin or nailup? This would work, however, if there was only two types of tiles. This case we have 3, and two of them are the same price.

The only way I can do that is if I don't add the $8 to the price of the color, but rather add it to the product and then have a dropdown list for the nailup/dropin products to add $0 to it and snaplock would add $4.

But this would still give me the same problem I'm having. It would say $8 for pattern 1... and then additional fees depending on the color they pick and $4 if they want snaplock... or they can choose between nailup and dropin which would add no cost.

Maybe that's just how I gotta do it then. Maybe I just have to set it to $8 for the product and then add attributes for the colors/types and just deal with the initial price. Even if it makes them think it's $8 per tile no matter what they get.

I will check out easy populate. Maybe that will be the ultimate solution for me.

If I could maintain a spreadsheet list of products and be able to add and change things whenever I need, maybe that's how I should do it in the first place rather than have all of these attributes.

I will check out easy populate. Maybe that will be the ultimate solution for me.

If I could maintain a spreadsheet list of products and be able to add and change things whenever I need, maybe that's how I should do it in the first place rather than have all of these attributes.

it will allow you to do that!!

when you update does it replace the spreadsheet or does it do only a simple update from what has changed?

Example: I decide later on that I want to add one product. I upload it.

Does it replace the whole list or does it only append/update the changes?

I guess it doesn't really matter either way, does it?

You can't add the price asoociated with dropin/nailup with the color.

If a customer buys nailup or dropin there is a difference- it needs to be shown somehow to both the buyer and the store owner.

If I just add $8 to every color plus what the color is, then how would I specify whether they got dropin or nailup? This would work, however, if there was only two types of tiles. This case we have 3, and two of them are the same price.

The only way I can do that is if I don't add the $8 to the price of the color, but rather add it to the product and then have a dropdown list for the nailup/dropin products to add $0 to it and snaplock would add $4.

But this would still give me the same problem I'm having. It would say $8 for pattern 1... and then additional fees depending on the color they pick and $4 if they want snaplock... or they can choose between nailup and dropin which would add no cost.

Maybe that's just how I gotta do it then. Maybe I just have to set it to $8 for the product and then add attributes for the colors/types and just deal with the initial price. Even if it makes them think it's $8 per tile no matter what they get.

you can do it. when you set up the attributes for the nail up or drop in options you put a 0 as the "value/price" I did it and it works. the drop down box will have all three options listed but the only option that would add any amount would be the snap lock attribute. the other attributes will still be selectable but will not add or subtract any amount of money.

I cant find a good way to explain what I am trying to explain. And one way or the other the difference is not great. so however it works for you.

Archived