• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Hiding the price of a product

erikwoods

You can have multiple attribute drop downs for each product, so you're ok Erik. You can have one drop down with the 42 colors, another with the 3 different styles. You could even add a third with the 23 patterns, but then you'd have a problem showing all the patterns. I suppose it's possible, and would be so cool if you had a picture of each pattern in each coulor, and got the picture to change to match the attributes selected, but for now it's probably best to stick with 23 products (one for each pattern), and save the changing picture for tomorrow! The tip I gave you in the other thread will impose a sort order on the attributes in the dropdown, which is actually random in a stock set up. The default will be the first alphabetically, using a sort by name. You could change it to sort by id and pay attention to the order you enter them in, if alphabettic didn't work. You could also put a product number at the start of the name to get the order you want (like 000 Unfinished, 001 Black, etc.). There's also the issue of how to display the price differences, stock sucks imho, and you'll need to do a few changes around that. I think there are more solutions available then when I went through this part, but my store shows the price including the attribute in the drop down, it looks better than +2.00, and makes more sense to visitors I think. Will you have other products in the store, besides these tiles?

Jeremy

Jeremy, all you did was repeat exactly what I was talking about. Lol.

I have already set up and tested using two attributes (color and type) but I'm trying to get rid of the actual displaying of what the price is before the changes are made.

I should just show you a screen shot but that might take a while because I'd have to re-set everything up.

Don't worry about it. I think I'll be ok.

I need to learn how to use STS or BTS now. I'm having a hard time with it.

Hi guys i was looking around for the perfect comapny to drop ship items for me with actual wholesale prices and i found this site http://www.ezshoppp.com/Marketing/DD_index.asp

It offer the best products that people will actually buy and it has an inventory count so you wont sell something on ebay or on your site that they have put of stock... cause it update its inventory live and it also handles returns.l...hope this helps i was once sturggling like you were not knowin where to get products from t put on my store...thanks your fellow member.....

Everyone who reads this is making it seem harder than it really is. The only person who seemed to understand what I meant was mwstinson.

You want the price displayed with the tiles not to show, because you want to set the base price to zero, so that the attribute can influence the price when it is selected. Your attributes are 42 different color choices, and three style choices, on top of the 23 pattern choices which will be your basic products, and the pattern has no bearing on the price.

Your first attribute will be color, 42 different choices with various prices ranging up to $20.

Above you were talking about how to add the the $8 for nail up or drop in, or to add $12 for snaplock.

You do this by making a second attribute for the tiles with the choices of nail up, drop in, and snaplock. This second attribute is completely separate from the colour attribute, and will show up in it's own drop down menu.

You'll want to get away from the stock method of displaying the price, as it sucks, as does the random sort method used in a stock osc setup.

This contribution sounds like it will alter the price displayed according to the attributes selected : http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1385

which is close to what you want, but not quite, since the base price of 0 would show prior to selecting an attribute. A way around this might be to make the base price equal to the lowest color price available, then adjusting the others according to that starting point.

You might also consider modifying the code that displays in the drop down to show the actual price, rather than the +X.XX that is shown in stock. The lines of code that control this are 137-9 in product_info.php. I use a fix that works with one price changing attribute, but may not work with two. You can find it here : http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...ndpost&p=246566

I ask if you will have other products aside from these tiles because it will make a difference in how you can go about making the price disappear. If you have other products, you need to be careful, because presumably you'll want the price displayed for them. If you have no other products, you can make a change that wil affect the display pages globally, since there are no other products for which prices would need to be displayed.

To fix your sort, this is from the thread where you ask that question:

Ok, looks like you changed line 131, which has an order by clause in it. Change that back to the original, which is ... (int)$languages_id . "' order by popt.products_options_name");

3 lines below that, this is the line I mean:

$products_options_query = tep_db_query("select pov.products_options_values_id, pov.products_options_values_name, pa.options_values_price, pa.price_prefix from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES . " pa, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_OPTIONS_VALUES . " pov where pa.products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and pa.options_id = '" . (int)$products_options_name['products_options_id'] . "' and pa.options_values_id = pov.products_options_values_id and pov.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

At the end of the line where it says blahblahblah ... $languages_id . "'"); you add in the order clause, like so: blahblahblah... $languages_id . "' order by products_options_values_name");

Try that,

Jeremy

ps here's a link to a page that uses two attributes so you can see exactly what I mean, though only one on mine affects the price.

http://www.oddlyenoughmosaics.com/product_...&products_id=77

The base product is a pound of tile, at $6.75. The colour can be selected, and has no bearing on price within this group. The quantity can be lowered to a half or quarter pound, and the price is shown in the drop down for quantity.

Jeremy

Yeah I knew you could set a price for a second attribute. That's what I've been saying all along that I need to do. Same thing with setting it to the lowest possible price, etc.

Just ignore that part. All three of us were thinking the same things.

I don't think I'll be able to completely get rid of showing the price. I do have other products that need to be added that don't necessarily have the same attributes. They are moldings and trimmings... and they will have the same color attribute but the type attribute will be different. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it yet- the whole situation is complicated.

It's possible, however, that I could get rid of the price and simply explain the pricing in the product description, right? And then they could see the changes once they add it all to their cart. That might be my best bet.

Anyone want to volunteer to help me with a template? I just need to understand how STS or BTS work.

I don't have time right now to try out the code you gave me, Jeremy. I'll try it later today after college is over and I get some rest. Thanks for the help I'll let you know what's up.

If anyone wants to help me with STS you can email me or AIM me. 'erikwoods at comcast.net' for email or 'erik m woods' for AIM. thanks.

Ok so the client said don't worry about stock.

So I set up an example of what I'm trying to do.

here's the example

What I'm trying to do is hide the $8 up at the top and any other place on the estore. The base price of the product. I plan on putting this into a custom template with BTS or STS but I haven't looked into much so I don't know what it's capable of.

Right now I have it set to $8 but if I can find a way to not display that, then I will set it to $0 and change the prices in the color/type of tile attributes.

If I can set the price of that product to $0 and hide it- I plan on getting rid of the "+" symbol so that it just shows the price of the colors and tile types.

Then I'd like to add an option to type the number of tiles they need... and possibly have it show what the price is before they add it. That part is not as important.

Can any of this be done?

Here's a screen shot of the value I am trying to hide:

mtcSample.jpg

But in reality, the price would be $0. This case it just happens to be $8- don't worry about the changes I'd need to make. I already know what would need to be done.

I figured out how to do what I wanted.

In catalog/product_info.php where it says

<td class="pageHeading" align="right" valign="top"><?php echo $products_price; ?></td>

I just deleted the bit about echo products_price. That's all I wanted to do! lol.

Archived