• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Using the header tag controller with STS

Hi there

I have successfully installed the Simple Template System (STS) to my OSCommerce website and have tailored the design considerably. I have also just installed the popular Header Tag controller (HTC).

The controller works for all pages. Product pages display the product name in the page title, and the meta description and keywords work. This applies to categories too. It's all fine for the most part.

However, whenever i create a new page such as a links page, or an about us page the page title defaults to the default title, keywords, and descriptions set up in HTC. It ignores the specific settings i've created within the admin area for that page.

With STS you dont have to add the specific HTC code on EVERY page as there's a setting which picks this up automatically. I've tried adding this code to new pages such as links, etc. but it doesnt make any difference - it just displays default headings.

It shows that each page is achknowledging the HTC function in the fact that it does work but its not showing the correct details i've assigned to the page.

Anyone else encountered this problem? I can provide code to anyone who has a hunch about what might solve this.

Thanks a lot. :D

First, display the new page in a browser and view the source to make sure the header tags code is being used. If it is, take a look in the includes/header_tags.php file and find the section of code for the new page. Be sure the page name matches the page you added. So if you an about_us.php file, the line should start like

case (strstr($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'],FILENAME_ABOUT_US

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I have recently taken over an existing Osc site with STS 2.01 installed. I am in the process of moving it to my server and wanted to get the HTC installed before I flipped the IP. When I went to the d/l's the most current version did not have the db files. In view of that fact I decided to try installing the previous version where the d/l seemed complete. I have no errors, but the tags are not there.

I've run the fill_tags.php and got a successful message back, but again no tags. Per 2.01 documentation, once the db is updated and the HTC files are in place, with STS you need not modify all the pages , STS automatically grabs the tags. The site ip is 65.75.149.132.

First of all, are the db files in the previous version correct for the new version? If so I will go back and replace the files and see if that helps. Otherwise, I'm not sure where to go from here as I have no error messages created by HTC. :blink:

I really need to finish this today, so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Ruth in AZ

The 2.54 version is the last version and is complete. The item after that is not Header Tags release and should be ignored.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

The 2.54 version is the last version and is complete. The item after that is not Header Tags release and should be ignored.

Jack

Before I got your post, I installed 2.5.2, at the time I did not see a complete version with db files for 2.5.4(I thought I d/l them all but I guess I missed the right one).

Nevertheless, I've read the update and see the changes required to update, however before I do that, I would like to get the version I have installed working.

I have no error messages and have installed the admin portion, which seems to be working correctly. I verified that by checking the english/header_tags.php and I can see the data that I input via the admin did in fact write to that file, so that seems to be good to go. I also ran the fill_tags.php and it says it was successful.

Now, when you view my source code, none of these changes are reflected on any of the pages. My understanding is that I do not need to modify the header info in each file in order for the changes to each of the meta tag info to happen on each page. I did, modify the application_top and it did require me to make the modification of "Require Once" vs. "Require" on the code as I got error messages until I did that.

This site was not built by me so I've had to investigate exactly what the previous developer did in regards to the STS template. All he did was create one basic master template which sits in the includes directory as sts_template.html, otherwise all the standard osc templates are being pulled in. I even tried adding the webmakers code to the header on that file, and merely had that entire piece of code show up in the source, so I defaulted back to the header info created within the html file when it was created.

I've re-read all the documentation and I'm just not sure what I have missed here. I am just unable to get the default tags I've created in the admin to show up.

You can take a look and you will see that the tag showing in the source is the one created in the template itself. It does not reflect the tags I have created in the admin. The IP for the site is 65.75.149.132

Once I can get this version functioning correctly, I will go back and update to the more current version.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your kind assistance

Ruth in AZ

I don't use STS so I could be wrong here but I just ran a quick test with a shop I have here that uses STS. The home page would not use the header tags code until I installed the title change in the index file. So it would seem from that that you have to make those changes to the files. It only takes minute to try it so I sugggest you try that first.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons