• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

"coming soon" items

how can i disable the "add to cart" buttons for items that are not currently instock.

at present, i am still allowed to add the item to checkout, but this warning appears:

"Products marked with *** dont exist in desired quantity in our stock.

Please alter the quantity of products marked with (***), Thank you"

as most visitors don't read every text on the website, this will cause many people to be confused and eventually click off.

how can i disable the "add to cart" buttons for items that are not currently instock.

at present, i am still allowed to add the item to checkout, but this warning appears:

"Products marked with *** dont exist in desired quantity in our stock.

Please alter the quantity of products marked with (***), Thank you"

as most visitors don't read every text on the website, this will cause many people to be confused and eventually click off.

first find out where you have an add to cart or buy now button by grepping (sp?) the button image names.

when you have found them, make sure the sql getting the product also gets the quantity of the product.

then right before you would display the button, check with an if statement if quantity is > 0.

there will still be carts that are getting filled while another person buys the last item off ... those carts will still display the *** message!

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

i'm not sure how to do this...

but i would prefer it if the item wouldn't even add to the cart until there's at least 1 quantity available

my settings in admin:

Check stock level true

Subtract stock true

Allow Checkout false

Mark product out of stock ***

Stock Re-order level 5

Show stock True

Monika

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

this is what i had:

Check stock level true

Subtract stock true

Allow Checkout false

Stock Re-order level 1

(i don't seem to have "show stock")

but when i click "add to cart" i get the red error message on bottom of my shopping cart... when i click checkout it keeps taking me back to the shopping cart and displaying the red error text.

is there a way to prevent it from even adding to the cart, or would that require hefty modification?

this is what i had:

Check stock level true

Subtract stock true

Allow Checkout false

Stock Re-order level 1

(i don't seem to have "show stock")

but when i click "add to cart" i get the red error message on bottom of my shopping cart... when i click checkout it keeps taking me back to the shopping cart and displaying the red error text.

is there a way to prevent it from even adding to the cart, or would that require hefty modification?

show stock was an add on :-)

Your setting are fine. Now go check those articles, I bet they are no status invalid in admin. It may be they were quantity = 0 already before you changed the admin settings, that was my issue many months ago when I first used these settings. The status will change when you buy the last item to invalid, if you leave your settings as they are. Now either turn them manually to invalid, or make them quantity = 1 and buy one, you will see it can be bought, but it will then become invisible. That means you will not even see the product this way.

For having the product stay and not be able to bought, you would have to do some custom coding like I mentioned before.

Monika

Is there a way to remove the "Buy Now" button from certain items in a shopping cart. In my store, I want some of my items listed but not given the option to purchase online.

Is there a way to remove the "Buy Now" button from certain items in a shopping cart.  In my store, I want some of my items listed but not given the option to purchase online.

sure there is a way! just add a new column to your products table, following the addititonal column contrib for products. Call it for example only_show and make the default 0. for the products you want to only show but not allow to buy, make the value 1. You can do this as an admin integrated feature, or just do it manually in the database if you do not know how to.

The for all occurencies of the buy now/ cart button (I listed them for a pp in this thread), make the if/else statement for the new column. If it's 0, show the button, if it's 1, no button, just a product to view but not buy.

Monika

sure there is a way! just add a new column to your products table, following the addititonal column contrib for products. Call it for example only_show and make the default 0. for the products you want to only show but not allow to buy, make the value 1. You can do this as an admin integrated feature, or just do it manually in the database if you do not know how to.

The for all occurencies of the buy now/ cart button (I listed them for a pp in this thread), make the if/else statement for the new column. If it's 0, show the button, if it's 1, no button, just a product to view but not buy.

Thanks Monika!

Actually, I stumbled across a contrib that does EXACTLY what I need:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...ns,3109/page,15

very easy to use, replaces individual "Buy Now" buttons with text that says "Not Available for purchase online", but still allows for viewing product description.

There is a checkbox in the admin section to select this feature on a per-item basis. much thanks to Kataklysmik for posting it :thumbsup:

Thanks Monika! 

Actually, I stumbled across a contrib that does EXACTLY what I need: 

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...ns,3109/page,15

very easy to use, replaces individual "Buy Now" buttons with text that says "Not Available for purchase online", but still allows for viewing product description.

There is a checkbox in the admin section to select this feature on a per-item basis.  much thanks to Kataklysmik for posting it  :thumbsup:

yuppers ... does exactly what I described :-)

Monika

my settings in admin:

Check stock level true 

Subtract stock true 

Allow Checkout false 

Stock Re-order level 5 

Show stock True

Monika,

Thanks for your help here, as I too, had a similar question I was contemplating on this subject.

My reply to you, is becuz' I do NOT have that last descriptive element, [ SHOW STOCK = TRUE ] shouldn't I? If so, then do you know how I can correct it?

Thanks!

Babs

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"What has been, has been, what will come, will come.

Our job is to learn from the past, keep looking ahead, and find joy in each moment."

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Monika,

Thanks for your help here, as I too, had a similar question I was contemplating on this subject.

My reply to you, is becuz' I do NOT have that last descriptive element, [ SHOW STOCK = TRUE ] shouldn't I?  If so, then do you know how I can correct it?

Thanks!

like I mentioned before, that is a contribution that allows you to show a text like "in stock" or "out of stock" ... nothing you would really "need" :-)

Monika

like I mentioned before, that is a contribution that allows you to show a text like "in stock" or "out of stock" ... nothing you would really "need" :-)

THANK YOU :rolleyes:

Babs

"What has been, has been, what will come, will come.

Our job is to learn from the past, keep looking ahead, and find joy in each moment."

Archived