• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Shopping Comparsions, Good 4 Marketing?

Baby Boy

Okay, for the people who don't know what GAM means, it stands for Get At Me, in slang terms meaning in proper terms to reply back.

Here is my question, I figured I'd start a topic for shopping comparison sites, is it worth it and is it even the best idea for marketing.

I looked all over and found some very nice places:

1. BizRate

2. NexTag

3. Shopzilla

4. Shopping.com

5. PriceGrabber

6. mySimon

7. SHOP.com

8. Froogle

9. Yahoo Shopping!

10. Smarter

Everybody, throw in your opinions, my picks would have to be.... 2, 4, and 10 --- they charge the cheapest to me, hopefully everybody benefits from the above top 10 list and such, and I am going to submit my store hopefully when it gets up, thanks.

Installed Contributions: AJAX Menu, AJAX Attributed Manager, AP URL ReWriting, Credit Class and Gift Vouchers, CCGV Report, Date of Birth PullDown, FCKEditor for Product Desc., Monthly Installment Payments, More Pictures 6, MSRP Savings, Must Agree to Terms on Checkout, Order Editor, Payment Method Fee, PopUp Promo, Private Messages, Purchase Order, Purchase Order Application, Secure Admin Login-Logout, STS Plus, SugarCRM Integration, Supertracker, Tax Exempt and Organization Discounts, Your Recent History.

23 Total Contributions Installed :)

8 is the chepest

4 doesn't display the true prices until you log in. I've only been with them a month so haven't gone live yet.

Kelkoo and Ciao are two others.

Whether they work for you or not probably depends on your products range. So far I think they are good for electrical goods, bad for dvds.

Cool, I'll check them out, anybody else's input.

Installed Contributions: AJAX Menu, AJAX Attributed Manager, AP URL ReWriting, Credit Class and Gift Vouchers, CCGV Report, Date of Birth PullDown, FCKEditor for Product Desc., Monthly Installment Payments, More Pictures 6, MSRP Savings, Must Agree to Terms on Checkout, Order Editor, Payment Method Fee, PopUp Promo, Private Messages, Purchase Order, Purchase Order Application, Secure Admin Login-Logout, STS Plus, SugarCRM Integration, Supertracker, Tax Exempt and Organization Discounts, Your Recent History.

23 Total Contributions Installed :)

• 1 month later...
I was thinking about going the Froggle way and wanted to know if it made sense for someone selling music downloads?

Any time you can get your product listed somewhere for FREE, it's worth it. So I think Froogle makes sense, though I'd steer away from the others.

Adrienne

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm using Shopzilla & Shopping.com right now.

I've paid for 1000 leads from Shopzilla with a 4% conversion ratio. I'm paying the bare minimum for clicks, $0.29 average. In other words, I'm paying $7.25 per customer.

I just started using shopping.com and I'm bidding $0.29 a click. For some reason in the last few weeks I've onlyhad 67 leads from them but my conversion ratio is around 10-15%, I haven't figured out all their affiliates yet, so I don't have exact figures.

I joined Shopzilla and Shopping.com because froogle picked up reviews from those sites for my competitors. I've had 3 reviews so far and I'm lustily waiting for froogle to grab them up.

Not unless you have a bottomless bank account. I work with alot of companies as an e-commerce consultant (i wish i had the time to take my own advice sometimes) I have large clients who make NO (count um) money using these systems....its like the dot come boom...everyone must have a website, and pay up to ?7000 for 60 hits a month (to SEO companies)....so everyone now must drive traffic with the expensive pay per click schemes. Just think how many random intervals at work you just click around the web, never intending to buy.

Create a customer base from the bay that is E-lectronic and re-market to your customers. Those guys own most of the shopping comparison sites and if not, pay them heaps of money. Keep your branding the same thoughout so people will recognise you.

Use other active marketplaces to create brand awareness. You might as well be active about your selling, using sites that are guarenteed (well like anything in life and money every has a guarentee)

I am just setting up my first proper os-commerce store (2000 inventory items to sort out, oh the joy).

I currently work with clients who advise channels, and work markets.

Sorry for the random avoidance to brand names, but I hate bots and spammers.

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, for the people who don't know what GAM means, it stands for Get At Me, in slang terms meaning in proper terms to reply back.

Here is my question, I figured I'd start a topic for shopping comparison sites, is it worth it and is it even the best idea for marketing.

I looked all over and found some very nice places:

1. BizRate

2. NexTag

3. Shopzilla

4. Shopping.com

5. PriceGrabber

6. mySimon

7. SHOP.com

8. Froogle

9. Yahoo Shopping!

10. Smarter

Everybody, throw in your opinions, my picks would have to be.... 2, 4, and 10 --- they charge the cheapest to me, hopefully everybody benefits from the above top 10 list and such, and I am going to submit my store hopefully when it gets up, thanks.

4. charges you month for month even after you have disabled your account... You are also not able to call them about it and they do not reply your e-mail....

8. is the king as it is free and loads of people use it.

HIM - Dark Light - Out on 26/09/05

• 6 months later...

I was going to ask a similar question so I thought I'd revisit - is this still pretty much the general consensus, that services such as these are a waste of money?

I was considering getting listed on Shipzilla or Shopping in hopes of increasing traffic & sales - but yeah, the previous example of it averaging out to over $7 per sale isn't going to work with my product that usually only has a couple of bucks of profit on each item...

Steve

And, on a similar note, have any of you tried out PriceGrabber? They state they only charge if the customer actually buys something - $1 plus 4.75% I think it was -

This is frankly still too much for the low-priced items I tend to sell, but if they only charge on the actual sale I was thinking it might at least be a way to get a few more customers into the store...

All those websites like shopping.com, bizrate, etc. will bring to your website a lot of trafic.

The most important thing is to check if other stores, already listed, have better offers. If they offer more than you do, better use froogle only.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic this. I use froogle (now google base) shopping.com and shopzilla.

Froogle : Good points

Easy to use and update products to

Big presence on google itself (cant be bad)

Only going to get bigger with Gpay

Froogle : Good points

Open to abuse by people listing products without sales tax

Everything looks the same

Doesnt sort by pricng for a customer

Shopzilla.com : Good points

Easyish to upload to

Shopzilla.com : Bad points

On average 30p a click in the uk area

VERY poor customer support

FTP feeds dont work at all, see point above

Shopping.com: Good points

Big exposure

Needs UPC's to work properly*

Shopping.com: Bad points

Stupidly expensive

Needs UPC's to work properly*

Seem to favor some sites even tho they state they dont**

Pricegrabber: Good points

Massive exposure

Pricegrabber: Bad points

Massive exposure killing meaningfull results on google

Poor technical support, once sales have done with you they dont care

One of the most expensive out there now

*UPC's are the numbers underneath the barcodes on products. Imagine how tedious it can be entering 100's of barcode numbers to get things working when they have that information but wont part with it

** i think it was shopping.com that on their search pages listed nothing but one competitor, even tho i had paid to be listed along there with them. I made this point and soon the website was changed.

All in all. Froogle has given me the best Return on Investment along with some managed adsense accounts.

Id say tho that there is some merit in signing up, doing a miniumum expenditure just to get your site and products out there and let msn, google, yahoo pick you up and list you in their main listings.

Things still to do before going "live" in no real order...

Change "buy now buttons" css styles

Change "lets see what we have here" into something meaningfull

Main logo of the website

Sort out currency to make site UK only (at present)

Remove "xx requests since" stuff

Update mainpage :D

Move shopping cart status into header

Add in stock status to product listing page

Define styles for product listing standardisation

Change CSS background for Headings

Increase Category size headings

Used mods so far:- basic_design_pack1mk7 | Google XML sitemap w admin | Paypal IPN v 1.2 | Feedmachine | pricematch_1_3_1 | Dynamic Sitemap 1.6 | Whos online Enhancement | Easypopulate 2.72

Each one that I solve I;ll be putting a post on the forum in a "completed shop" thread that Im writing up

Kelkoo, hmmm Im sure that I tried them but again they are expensive at 30p a click there or thereabouts. As some people have posted the ratio can be quite horrendous when you look at it

Things still to do before going "live" in no real order...

Change "buy now buttons" css styles

Change "lets see what we have here" into something meaningfull

Main logo of the website

Sort out currency to make site UK only (at present)

Remove "xx requests since" stuff

Update mainpage :D

Move shopping cart status into header

Add in stock status to product listing page

Define styles for product listing standardisation

Change CSS background for Headings

Increase Category size headings

Used mods so far:- basic_design_pack1mk7 | Google XML sitemap w admin | Paypal IPN v 1.2 | Feedmachine | pricematch_1_3_1 | Dynamic Sitemap 1.6 | Whos online Enhancement | Easypopulate 2.72

Each one that I solve I;ll be putting a post on the forum in a "completed shop" thread that Im writing up

Archived