• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How do I set user permissions?

starpowersports

This is a 2-part question as I need assistance to learn/understand how to set user permissions and I also have errors that need resolving.

FIRST:

I need to know if there is a special area that allows me to set the user permissions for editting and adding new files in my catalog directory and how to access it?

As it stands now, whenever I make any attempt to begin editting or if I am to open the Catalog directory from the Administration page, a highlighted in pink [salmon] colored error appears atop of the Catalog page itself as well as the Categories/Products page... I am reluctant to solve this problem on my own and would appreciate your guidance!

The Error Says:

Error: Catalog images directory is not writeable: /home/mywebhostusername/.panel/web/ecommerce/os/catalog/images/

Now that I think I understand how to begin editing the context of the opening page I cannot do this because of this user permission problem.

SECONDLY:

I also have "Fatal Errors" and "Warnings" that are showing up in many areas.

They appear in numerous areas beginning at the Admininstration page and throughout my 6 Main Categories as well as throughout each subcategory of those 6 Mains.

The error/warning message is almost always the same...

I will try to clarify as I list each of the repeating error or warning as it is.

[1].

This is error appears throughout the 6 Main Categories and all of the subcategories to each of the 6 Main Categories=

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_get_products_description() in /home/mywebhostusername/.panel/web/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/new_products.php on line 31

[2].

This shows up in only 1 of the 6 Main Categories=

[B]Warning[/b]: error_log(/var/log/www/tep/page_parse_time.log): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/mywebhostusername/.panel/web/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/application_bottom.php on line 20

[3].

This shows up at the bottom of every directory (page) opened from under the Administration page ie: Configuration or Catalog or Modules, etc.=

Warning: error_log(/var/log/www/tep/page_parse_time.log): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/mywebhostusername/.panel/web/ecommerce/os/catalog/admin/includes/classes/logger.php on line 49

... as you can see, the path verifies some with each message ...

There is one more problem...

When TOOLS is opened then a highlighted pink [or salmon] colored error appears at the very top of the page and it says:

Error: Backup directory is not writeable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, there is something else that is weird too:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Among those 6 Main Categories, when I enter each of them they are not consistent with each other in so much as showing the standard Shopping Cart and the Reviews and the Languages and the Currencies box headings that typically appear over on the right-hand side... Only two of the six are showing those headings. The other four show nothing whatsoever! BUT... those four that are missing the headings mentioned, their subcategory are definitely showing them.

I greatly appreaciate anyone's help with these problems, as I realize this involves more than a few quick tips.

And now, my final comment (probably not too hard to guess this part!) I also am very green at understanding how osCommerce files are integrated ... I think the problem might be that my web hosting provider allowed for a click and install of my osCommerce application and now the files are somewhere in my web site root directory ... it's so confusing!

So if you decide to take on helping me, keep in mind I will most likely have questions that follow, thank you very much!

Babs

Babs

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"What has been, has been, what will come, will come.

Our job is to learn from the past, keep looking ahead, and find joy in each moment."

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Do not edit your pages via the admin file manager.

2. You must set permissions 777 to the images folder I believe.

In order to work with osCommerce, fixing problems, adding contributions, altering the look and functions you will need an FTP program and to know where your files are located. Download files to your hard drive to edit, then reupload.

Not sure what all those errors are but I hope what I did say helped some. If you did edit any pages using the file manager in your admin area I hate to say it but if your store is still a stock install might be easier to just reinstall.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

1. Do not edit your pages via the admin file manager.

2. You must set permissions 777 to the images folder I believe.

In order to work with osCommerce, fixing problems, adding contributions, altering the look and functions you will need an FTP program and to know where your files are located. Download files to your hard drive to edit, then reupload.

Not sure what all those errors are but I hope what I did say helped some. If you did edit any pages using the file manager in your admin area I hate to say it but if your store is still a stock install might be easier to just reinstall.

Hey Wendy!

Thank you so much for your reply, I do use WS_FTP for doing my ftp'ing, but didn't think about downloading from my control panel to my hard drive and then do any editting - I will see about trying that -

I spent some more time looking at those files on the root directory of my control panel at my web site ...

I learned a tiny bit about permission settings ...

I did change three folders that were named Images from 755 to 777, there was no change among the errors or being able to access those files to edit or add new ones.

I remember reading a while ago about changes made from within the Administration File Manager and doing so will result in an comon fatal error message ......... I looked forever and could not find that string of discussion which lead me to my post of this evening. So I am not surprised to read your comment about that ! Damn!

I will have to figure out [if possible] how to backup and /or how to save my 400+ entries of category sub-categories and the listed product and then see about doing a re-install. - I wonder if doing a BackUp before ding the re-install would just save those errors just the same ? Any thoughts on that ??

Thank you so much for your response - I am hopeful for more info to follow!

Babs

Babs

Our job is to learn from the past, keep looking ahead, and find joy in each moment."

Well, if your store has no modifications... like contributions installed, the easiest thing would be to reupload the install folder, if you have deleted the original one, then run the install again MAKING SURE (sorry for the caps but this is important lol) you uncheck the box that says import database. Don't forget to set all the permissions correctly to install (both configure.php files) and then after install. (those 2 files again and your images folder)

This will allow you to have a fresh install of osCommerce AND keep your database so you don't have to set everything back up again.

You can also do this if you have contributions installed but you will have to go back over the install instructions for every contribution and do everything they say but add the SQL information.

I would definately suggest you back up the database onto your hard drive which is a very easy thing to do. Just log into your phpmyadmin, click on your database name if it isn't already selected. Select Export from the top left, then on the new page do select all. Now you may have other options. Different versions of phpmyadmin are a bit different but that should be all you need to do. The save it to your hard drive naming it something you will remember.

Hope that makes sense and helps. :)

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

#3 turn off 'store parse times' in the admin configuration, that will clear that error. means osC is not able to create the log file.

i remove the parse times and hits from the breadcrumb . . .

3 image folders? That could be part of the problem too. If they all have the same name (talking about the ones in your stores main directory) osCommerce won't know which folder it is suposed to be looking at.

Wendy James

#3 turn off 'store parse times' in the admin configuration, that will clear that error.  means osC is not able to create the log file.

i remove the parse times and hits from the breadcrumb . . .

Dear Mibble,

Thank you so much! :D

Your advice actually solved my No. 2 as well as No. 3! Whooopie! :P :P

Any idea on fixing the No. 1 error?

I spoz' you would have (already) advised on that one, if you had a solution ... just thought I'd ask, anyway!

Thank you so much (once again)! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Babs

Babs

3 image folders? That could be part of the problem too. If they all have the same name (talking about the ones in your stores main directory) osCommerce won't know which folder it is suposed to be looking at.

Hey Wendy!

Thanks for all your assistance - I am so delighted you have taken an interest and valuable time to help out here! That also goes same for MIBBLE too! :) Thanks so much!

OK ...

I do not have a osCommerce install on my hard drive.

As I mentioned initially, [which - of course - there were numerous mentions, initially - HA!] ..............

My web host service had the application set up as a Plug'nPlay...

I am concerned if I were to re-install from what is offered in my control panel that I am gonna have a real mess on my hands.

------------

The problem with doing a fresh download of the application directly from osCommece is :

:blush: [i am so embarassed to have to say this] :blush:

I am really low on hard drive space, I mean, dangerously low; so I am really uncomfortable about adding more stuff - especially "program" stuff.

I have some sweet settlement funds owed to me and they are long overdue as for their ETA date... You can rest assured that I will be making some huge changes with my PC whenever those funds are finally in hand.

As for the three "Images" files /folders ........

Well, I dunno what to say about that!

I have NOT made any changes, additions or contrib installations whatsoever; as far as I am concerned, all three of these were all part of the original installation files.

Here are the paths to each one of them... maybe you will see something erroneous after reading:

the 1st one:

/ home / public_html / catalog / images ->

The 2nd one:

/ home / public_html / catalog / admin / images ->

The 3rd one:

/ home / public_html / catalog / includes / languages / english / images ->

Do you see anything that shouldn't be there?

Just as reminder, The error states:

Error: Catalog images directory is not writeable:

/home/mywebhostusername/.panel/web/ecommerce/os/catalog/images/

and also, another erminder that this file being referenced, the user permission setting was changed from 755 to 777. (as were the others)

Well, I will be taking a lot of time to acquaint myself of your re-install instruction and advice - and then I will let you know the results when accomplished!

Thanks again, Wendy!

You are a terrific person! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Babs

Babs

Archived