• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

GREP

I have been having some problems finding a good tool for searching text in files.

The search tool that comes with Microsft Windows XP does not work when searching for strings in files such as PHP. I suppose this is because the tool is designed for users and not programmers and hyperlink text is only search for what a typical user would see when the file is presented in a a browser window.

Someone suggested that I use Grep that comes with Cygwin, a Unix emulation program.

But that seems to have problems searching subdirectories.

Any suggestions?

Someone suggested that I use Grep that comes with Cygwin, a Unix emulation program.

But that seems to have problems searching subdirectories.

Any suggestions?

find . -name "*.php" -print | xargs grep -i "foo"

Commands:

find - find all files starting with a certain location by a certain parameter, and do something with them. In the example above, I am finding files starting within the current directory ("."), searching by name for files like "*.php", and printing them. If you run the first part of the command (before the pipe "|" character), you will see all such files. The "find" command traverses subdirectories!

xargs - use the preceding as a set of arguments for the following.

grep - standard search in *nix shells. Here, I am looking (-i means case insensitive) for "foo," so I will also hit on "FoO," "fOO," "FOO," etc.

Chaining the commands (with the pipe "|") means:

Generate a complete list of all files that meet my specifications, and pass this list of filenames as the input to my grep command for "foo."

Hope that this helps.

• 1 year later...

I need one that works in Windows XP, Also one that searches multiple unopen files in a folder for a string of text like (Temp....) I do not need one to search an open php file.

I tried Crimson editor and got this error: ---------- Find in Files ----------

> Searching for the string 'button_wishlist.gif'...

> Cannot find the string 'button_wishlist.gif'.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I need one that works in Windows XP, Also one that searches multiple unopen files in a folder for a string of text like (Temp....) I do not need one to search an open php file.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi Tim! Maybe this one will help: Try using the command prompt and use the findstr command. This command searches a string on a specified file or files. There are a lot of ways and options with this command. For further information - just type help findstr at the command prompt.

I tried it with this example. I searched for all the .jsp files containing the "<html>" string using this command:

findstr /s /i /m "html" jsp\*.jsp

This performed a non-case-sensitive search(/i) and displayed all the jsp files (/m) which contain the "<html>" string in the specified (jsp) directory and all of its sub-directories (/s).

Hope this one would finally solve your problem! :thumbsup:

Archived