• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Where's the Files!

tmgrood

Is there a simple list anywhere within this wonderful site where I can find out which files do what to which part of my site?

It seems like to change one thing on the home page you have to go to one certain folder/file and to change something else on the same page you have to go to another folder/file and make changes.

Has anyone made a list of which file edits what?

Just curious :D

I'm a victim of circumstance

I do not know of any file map but one may exist.

The basic gist is like this:

Anything dealing with text will be found in the includes/languages folder. Text items that appear sitewide will be in the [language].php file within this folder. Text items specific to a page (e.g. shopping_cart) will be found in the includes/languages/[language]/[filename].php file. In the shopping_cart example, the file for english text would be includes/languages/english/shopping_cart.php.

For functionality, then you would edit the page in the root (e.g. catalog) folder.

Everything else is in the includes folder depending upon whether you need to edit a function, class, or what not.

I hope that helps give you a head start. ;)

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

I do not know of any file map but one may exist.

The basic gist is like this:

Anything dealing with text will be found in the includes/languages folder. Text items that appear sitewide will be in the [language].php file within this folder. Text items specific to a page (e.g. shopping_cart) will be found in the includes/languages/[language]/[filename].php file. In the shopping_cart example, the file for english text would be includes/languages/english/shopping_cart.php.

For functionality, then you would edit the page in the root (e.g. catalog) folder.

Everything else is in the includes folder depending upon whether you need to edit a function, class, or what not.

I hope that helps give you a head start. ;)

Thanks Jim. Thats exactly what I was looking for.

It seems like everyone is supposed to come in here with some kind of knowledge of how things work and what files are used to edit which pages!

Otherwise the forums wouldnt be so filled with so many questions and so many people asking the same questions.

Thanks again. That sheds a little more light on how the whole structure is set up.

I'm a victim of circumstance

Archived