• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How do I change the index page of the shopping car

DonHouston

I am trying to set up a new ecommerce website for one of my clients. I am having a problem trying to figure out where to go to edit the index page so that we can customize it to be more customer oriented. Basically we want to change this text:

Welcome Guest! Would you like to log yourself in? Or would you prefer to create an account?

This is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products shown are for demonstrational purposes, any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional.

Error Messages

If there are any error or warning messages shown above, please correct them first before proceeding.

Error messages are displayed at the very top of the page with a complete background color.

Several checks are performed to ensure a healthy setup of your online store - these checks can be disabled by editing the appropriate parameters at the bottom of the includes/application_top.php file.

Editing Page Texts

The text shown here can be modified in the following file, on each language basis:

[path to catalog]/includes/languages/english/index.php

That file can be edited manually, or via the Administration Tool with the Languages->English->Define or Tools->File Manager modules.

The text is set in the following manner:

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup of the osCommerce project...');

The text highlighted in green may be modified - it is important to keep the define() of the TEXT_MAIN keyword. To remove the text for TEXT_MAIN completely, the following example is used where only two single quote characters exist:

define('TEXT_MAIN', '');

More information concerning the PHP define() function can be read here.

Securing The Administration Tool

It is important to secure the Administration Tool as there is currently no security implementation available.

Online Documentation

Online documentation can be read at the osCommerce Wiki Documentation Effort site.

Community support is available at the osCommerce Community Support Forums site.

If you wish to download the solution powering this shop, or if you wish to contribute to the osCommerce project, please visit the support site of osCommerce. This shop is running on osCommerce version osCommerce 2.2-MS2.

can someone tell me what to do so I can get this going. I would really apprcieate this help.

Don Houston

I am trying to set up a new ecommerce website for one of my clients.  I am having a problem trying to figure out where to go to edit the index page so that we can customize it to be more customer oriented. 

Go into your 'catalog' directory. In it, you will see an 'includes' folder. In that, there is a 'languages' folder, which is where all the text for all the languages installed in your shop lives. So, now you should be in:

.../'yourCatalog'/includes/languages/

Now, let's say that you are using the English language in your site.

The text "Welcome, Guest!..." is kept inside the file "english.php", in the 'languages' directory. Just change it there, and whenever your customer uses English, they will see the replacement you specify.

A lot of the text that appears on the home page of your e-store is stored in this file. Things like the words used for 'cart', 'manufacturer', and 'catalog' can be changed here.

You will see that all these terms are defined in lines that look like this:

define('MALE', 'Male');

If I wanted to change the word 'Male' in my site, for instance, so that it would say 'Macho' instead, I would change the code like this:

define('MALE', 'Macho');

Note that you must leave the apostrofes(' and ') intact. And if you want to use an apostofe in the middle of your word or sentence, you must 'escape it', by using a slash. For instance, if I wanted to use the sentence 'Man's Business' instead of 'Male', I'd have to change the code like this:

define('MALE', 'Man\'s Business');

Now, the text stored in the 'english.php' file is just the beginning. It has generic text that is used throughout the entire site. But the text that is used in specific pages - for instance, in the index page, or in the account login page, etc. - is actually stored inside the 'english' DIRECTORY. Open it. Now you should be in:

.../'yourCatalog'/includes/languages/english/

You will see that there are lots and lots of files in there. The file you are looking for, the one that has that long descriptive opening text in the index page, is the "index.php" file that is in there. The very FIRST 'define' statement - the one that defines the term "TEXT_MAIN" - is the one you want to change!

These instructions, of course, will work for the English language only. If you offer other languages in your shop's interface, you will have to change the equivalent files in those languages as well!

I hope this helps.

Go into your 'catalog' directory. In it, you will see an 'includes' folder. In that, there is a 'languages' folder, which is where all the text for all the languages installed in your shop lives. So, now you should be in:

.../'yourCatalog'/includes/languages/

Now, let's say that you are using the English language in your site.

The text "Welcome, Guest!..." is kept inside the file "english.php", in the 'languages' directory. Just change it there, and whenever your customer uses English, they will see the replacement you specify.

A lot of the text that appears on the home page of your e-store is stored in this file. Things like the words used for 'cart', 'manufacturer', and 'catalog' can be changed here.

You will see that all these terms are defined in lines that look like this:

define('MALE', 'Male');

If I wanted to change the word 'Male' in my site, for instance, so that it would say 'Macho' instead, I would change the code like this:

define('MALE', 'Macho');

Note that you must leave the apostrofes(' and ') intact. And if you want to use an apostofe in the middle of your word or sentence, you must 'escape it', by using a slash. For instance, if I wanted to use the sentence 'Man's Business' instead of 'Male', I'd have to change the code like this:

define('MALE', 'Man\'s Business');

Now, the text stored in the 'english.php' file is just the beginning. It has generic text that is used throughout the entire site. But the text that is used in specific pages - for instance, in the index page, or in the account login page, etc. - is actually stored inside the 'english' DIRECTORY. Open it. Now you should be in:

.../'yourCatalog'/includes/languages/english/

You will see that there are lots and lots of files in there. The file you are looking for, the one that has that long descriptive opening text in the index page, is the "index.php" file that is in there. The very FIRST 'define' statement - the one that defines the term "TEXT_MAIN" - is the one you want to change!

These instructions, of course, will work for the English language only. If you offer other languages in your shop's interface, you will have to change the equivalent files in those languages as well!

I hope this helps.

I am not familiar with php at all. I went to the file that you said to go to and I found nothing. There is no template through the admin panel to go to where you can type a new message for the look of you store's home page? I want to change the way it looks so that they do not see all the bs about the errors and stuff.

I am not familiar with php at all.  I went to the file that you said to go to and I found nothing.  There is no template through the admin panel to go to where you can type a new message for the look of you store's home page?  I want to change the way it looks so that they do not see all the bs about the errors and stuff.

Actually, if you read the page it tells you exactly where to get rid of the text here..

The text shown here can be modified in the following file, on each language basis:

[path to catalog]/includes/languages/english/index.php

That file can be edited manually, or via the Administration Tool with the Languages->English->Define or Tools->File Manager modules.

The text is set in the following manner:

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup of the osCommerce project...');

The text highlighted in green may be modified - it is important to keep the define() of the TEXT_MAIN keyword. To remove the text for TEXT_MAIN completely, the following example is used where only two single quote characters exist:

define('TEXT_MAIN', '');

However, do NOT edit it in admin as it states as this will completely screw up the file. What you need to do is ftp to the directory that it specifies above, downlaod the file, open it in notepad or a similar TEXT based program (not MS Word), edit it, save it, upload it to overwrite the old file. VOILA!

Lori

Archived