• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

USPS Labels not working

aldaffodil

Hello,

It seems that with the USPS change the current code does not work. Once you go from the usps_shipping.php file to the USPS site you get this error on the site:https://sss-web.usps.com/cns/labelInformation.do

Any ideas?

It appears as though some changes on the side of USPS have made this module not work, but I found an easy fix.

On usps_ship.php change this hidden field (around line 645):

<input type="hidden" name="labelId" value="">

To this:

<input type="hidden" name="labelId" value="<?php echo $packageID; ?>">

This seemed to get me back up and running.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears as though some changes on the side of USPS have made this module not work, but I found an easy fix.

To this:

Great job tracking that down, i knew it was one small field setting. We are up and running again!

Worked for me too.

Just one trick, is that when you click to log out (of USPS), you get a screen that says this:

"You are now signed out. You will be redirected to the previous USPS application in 5 seconds."

If you don't wait the 5 seconds (or click the redirect link) before you close out the window, then you'll still get the error (mentioned above by 2dogrc) for your next label.

Thanks for the fix!

Craig

Ashley,

After doing a copy and paste on 15 labels today, you can imagine how happy I am to have a working module back.

Thanks so much!!!!

Wolfgang

It worked for me too. Thanks for the find.

I thought I was subscribed to this thread, but it didn't email me to tell me there were new posts.

They moved the forums to a new server over the weekend. Maybe the subscriptions were lost then?

--Glen

Worked for me too.

Just one trick, is that when you click to log out (of USPS), you get a screen that says this:

"You are now signed out. You will be redirected to the previous USPS application in 5 seconds."

If you don't wait the 5 seconds (or click the redirect link) before you close out the window, then you'll still get the error (mentioned above by 2dogrc) for your next label.

Thanks for the fix!

Craig

I find that I get all sorts of strange errors if I close the window and USPS logs me off remotely. They aren't very good about managing their cookies; I usually have to clear my USPS cookies when this happens. (Firefox user hint: go into Tools->Options->Security (Win) or Firefox->Preferences-Security (Mac), then click Show Cookies and type USPS in the search box to find all the cookies that USPS set. Then click the Delete Cookies button to delete each cookie.)

When the labels print with this contribution can you set it so that it does not show actual postage or can it be hidden? Last thing I need is to charge a customer $4.00 to ship and have shipping cost $2.35. I get enough emails from penny pinchers no need to incite more.

Thanks I can't wait to get this contribution added to my store.

--Josh

When the labels print with this contribution can you set it so that it does not show actual postage or can it be hidden? Last thing I need is to charge a customer $4.00 to ship and have shipping cost $2.35. I get enough emails from penny pinchers no need to incite more.

Thanks I can't wait to get this contribution added to my store.

--Josh

First, USPS does not offer the option of hiding the shipping price. For some reason it is an offer when you create a label using paypal, but not using click-n-ship.

Second, you can't use click-n-ship for first class shipping. The cheapest option is Priority which starts at $4.60. I only charge $1.00 over cost for handling fee and the profit is built into the product price.

Thanks for the update. I know the hidden postage is an option when using dazzle to ship priority mail. If I quote a customer based on Fedex ground rates shipping which is never below $6.00 but often can get the small product there just as fast if not faster using priority mail which as you pointed out is now $4.60. I would like to spare the trouble of explaining the $1.40 extra which will go to help offset fixed costs involved in shipping.

Looks like dazzle would be best for me.

First, USPS does not offer the option of hiding the shipping price. For some reason it is an offer when you create a label using paypal, but not using click-n-ship.

Second, you can't use click-n-ship for first class shipping. The cheapest option is Priority which starts at $4.60. I only charge $1.00 over cost for handling fee and the profit is built into the product price.

The reason that hiding the shipping price is an option on the PayPal website is that third party postage partners (Endicia, stamps.com, etc) can offer that service and the PayPal postage service is provided by Pitney-Bowes. PayPal Multi-Order Shipping also offers postage for First Class Mail and reduced-cost Delivery Confirmation service.

--Glen

• 3 weeks later...

I found a problem in the weight calculation of this module that appears when you use the "Larger packages - percentage increase" parameter in Configuration->Shipping. This value makes the tare weight a percentage of your shipping weight for packages where that value is larger than the value set in "Package Tare Weight". The idea is that heavier orders will generally require larger, heavier boxes and/or more packing material. The original calculation is in includes/classes/shipping.php.

Find this line at about line 42 in usps_ship.php:

$shipping_weight =  $total_weight['weight'];

Insert the following directly below it:

// adds the "Package Tare weight" and "Larger boxes - percentage increase" configuration values to the package value
 if (SHIPPING_BOX_WEIGHT >= $shipping_weight*SHIPPING_BOX_PADDING/100) {
$shipping_weight = $shipping_weight+SHIPPING_BOX_WEIGHT;
 } else {
$shipping_weight = $shipping_weight + ($shipping_weight*SHIPPING_BOX_PADDING/100);
 }

This will make the weight calculated by usps_ship.php match the calculation that was used to quote the package.

--Glen

To this:

Does this still seem to be working for you? I just installed this on a customer's site, and am getting pretty much the same scenario, though I am using the 2.0.4 version.

Internal Error : We've experienced an unexpected condition.

Error Tracking Number : 1181798430705

Does this still seem to be working for you? I just installed this on a customer's site, and am getting pretty much the same scenario, though I am using the 2.0.4 version.

Internal Error : We've experienced an unexpected condition.

Error Tracking Number : 1181798430705

The "easy fix" didn't work for me, either, but Ashley also uploaded a version with this fix. It worked just fine (apart from the weight patch I posted above, which I think has been a problem for several releases). I didn't bother comparing the files for any other differences.

--Glen

I am using the version with the fix included, and did use WinMerge to compare the file -- the only difference it found was the line quoted in the contrib summary, which is the same labelId fix quoted above. Grrrr.

-jared

I am using the version with the fix included, and did use WinMerge to compare the file -- the only difference it found was the line quoted in the contrib summary, which is the same labelId fix quoted above. Grrrr.

-jared

Have you tried clearing your cookies? The USPS site gets confused sometimes if you don't. Firefox allows you to view the cookies and only delete the ones that you need to delete. Just type USPS in the search box of the view cookies pane and delete all the ones found. That works for me. I think that it's all or nothing with MSIE, though.

--Glen

Figured it out. I had specified the shipping state (the store state) as Utah. It needed to be UT.

The only reason I noticed was that once, I forgot to put in the weight, and it had me correct both the weight AND the State from a drop-down.

Sounds like the config field for the state should be an enum type value, with the 2-letter states as the only available options. Though, you know, the instructions do say "Enter the two letter state code you want on shipping labels." <shrug> My fault.

Thanks for the help and encouragement!

-jared

Figured it out. I had specified the shipping state (the store state) as Utah. It needed to be UT.

The only reason I noticed was that once, I forgot to put in the weight, and it had me correct both the weight AND the State from a drop-down.

Sounds like the config field for the state should be an enum type value, with the 2-letter states as the only available options. Though, you know, the instructions do say "Enter the two letter state code you want on shipping labels." <shrug> My fault.

Thanks for the help and encouragement!

-jared

Good point. I wonder if that had been my problem earlier.

--Glen

• 3 months later...
1. Log out

2. Log back in

3a. If you log in using the link that sends you to create a label once you log in, then you will be fine

3b. if you log in using the USPS page link, I think you have to follow their links to create a new label until you get to their form

4. Then you can go to the usps oscommerce form and submit it.

I think their new program is too smart, so that if you haven't gone to the start a label form yet then it runs into trouble.

Where do I make these changes???

• 4 months later...

This mod has suddenlky stopped woirking in the past day or so. Has anyone else had a problem? Any fix?

It open the USPS window, but then when you want to process the label, we get:

We're sorry! We were unable to process your request. Please correct the error(s) indicated below:

We are unable to find any available service options for this label, please review your label and try again.

Any help?

• 9 months later...

Is this contribution still working for anyone? If so, which version are you using and do you remember the fixes you implemented? Thanks!!

This mod has suddenlky stopped woirking in the past day or so. Has anyone else had a problem? Any fix?

It open the USPS window, but then when you want to process the label, we get:

We're sorry! We were unable to process your request. Please correct the error(s) indicated below:

We are unable to find any available service options for this label, please review your label and try again.

Any help?

Okay, we updated to the latest version and it is working again. Version 2.04 seems to work fine.

Is this contribution still working for anyone? If so, which version are you using and do you remember the fixes you implemented? Thanks!!

• 3 years later...

I'm getting the following:

The Page You're Looking For Has Moved

We've redesigned Click-N-Ship®, so the URL has changed. Check out the new Click-N-Ship page and bookmark it for future use.

Pretty stupid not to give a warning to a comming change over a month or so..

So it is broken for now..

Edited by xtronics

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first panacea for a mismanaged nation is inflation

of the currency; the second is war. Both bring a
temporary prosperity; both bring permanent ruin.
Ernest Hemingway
------------------------------------------------------------------------