• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

how do i use oscommerce

dudrjs79

i am a new user to oscommerce. i just want to know how to change the menu bar, contents, images and so on when i login to admin.

if you go my page >> http://fiore.com.au/osCommerce/catalog/

how can i change the layouts and contents like other websites which use oscommerce?

also can i make credit card payment for merchants?

thank you

also can i use dreamweaver to change the oscommerce contents?

In text mode, yes. Not in design mode.

Check the knowledge base for tips about changing the appearance of your store. Obviously, you can play around with the stylesheet.css. And the header.php and Footer.php are pretty easy to make html changes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Yes, you can use dreamweaver.

You are asking for lots of instructions so here are some basics.

1. stylesheet.css controls the colors

2. each main file has a language file you edit inside catalog/includes/languages

3. do not use the file manager to edit files, there are known issues

4. you change the layout and images just like you would and html site but you have to be sure not to break any of the php code

5. you can accept cc payments but you must have a merchant account of your own, osCommerce is just the doorway to accept payments

6. read the forums, expecially the tips and tricks area. Lots of great info there.

7. look through the contributions, there are a ton of helpful things there

8. download the MS2 documentation using the link in my signature or link at the top of the page

I use design mode for parts of my editng. :) Specially when working with the tables.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The problem with telling beginners that they can use design mode, is that they don't understand that they can't just open up the index.php in design mode, and move an infobox from the left column to the right column.

It may seem obvious to you or me that you can't do that, but when you tell a beginner they can use Dreamweaver in design mode, that's the sort of functionality they are looking for.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

hmmm

i still not understand. which file should i edit?? in the directory where the oscommerce installed has folders and some files(php,sql). which file should i edit?

i know how to edit the index.htm file. should i edit index.htm. file and link to oscommerce?? is there any step by step tutorial here?

The file you need to edit all depends on what you want to do.

I would suggest downloading the MS2 documentation and reading through it some. May help you figure out the basics.

There is no index.htm file included with osCommerce. :)

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The files are all in php. You can use Dreamweaver, but I'd stick to jsut TEXT mode editing for now. If you try to make edits in design mode, you might end up losing some of your dynamic content.

Here's my advice, for getting started.

Browse to your website.

right click >> view source, in order to see the html output of the php

Find the elements you want to change the colors off. Just about all of the colors will use a stylesheet element.

FTP download the stylesheet.css file to your desktop, and open it in a text editor.

Find the cooresponding element in the stylesheet, make your edit, and FTP upload the file back to the right directory on yoru webserver.

This will allow you to make some basic changes of the colors on your website.

For additional information, try to ask specific questions, for example, "how do I change the oscommerce logo to my own".

Also, visit the knowledgebase for helpful hints. You can find that at the top of this page under "Solutions >> Documentation"

Archived