• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Installation Procedure trouble

tleekem

Are you using php5 on the server?

Vger

No. I am using php4.

I used prebuilt rpms (binaries) installed via urpm command on Mandriva Linux, which automatically installed Apache2, MySql, and osCommerce when I asked for the Mandriva built osCommerce. Apache2 is running as localhost on my desktop.

I am new to all these applications. I used SQL command line to create my blank database, owned by root. The only grey area for me, is how to assign a user to the blank database, as it was not covered in either of the sql tutors I read. So, when I ran the osCommerce Installer Process, on the second page, I used root and the root password for the database. Could that have messed me up? (It is the very next page which fails to print to screen.)

Additional info:

Concerning changing persmissions, the instructions said to change configure.php to 777 permissions at catalog/includes/configure.php.

However, there is no catalog/includes/ path. So I did a search for the configure.php file, and found it in two locations:

/var/www/html/osCommerce/includes/configure.php

and

/var/www/html/osCommerce/admin/includes/configure.php

So, I did a chmod 777 on both instances.

The User Name and Password osCommerce installer asks for is your MySQL User Name and Password, so provided you're using them it should be okay.

Permissions on all folders also need to be 755 or 777 (depends on system).

If this is a local install on your computer then you are making things unnecessarily difficult for yourself by using a Unix system like Mandrake (which I assume Mandriva is an off-shoot of) - unless of course you're running the whole computer on a Unix Operating Syystem.

Vger

Speaking of permissions, what can I use to change these, I am using localhost on my desk top. There is probably somewhere here on the forum that tells me but I haven't found it yet.

Your the girl, thanks now, I am using xampp apache, the web root for the server appears to be \xampp\htdocs is that correctand where I work on my files?

In the osCLloaded version, a folder is provided for the database eg mystore\oscommerce_data, how do I create a database with all the tables etc and place it into that folder?

I am hoping this version oscommerce will save me a lot of time setting up and loading products because it is modified to suit us here down under.

The path for XAMPP on a standard PC is C:/apachefriends/xampp/htdocs/

I think you are referring to the unstable (pre-release) version of MS3, which you should not use on a production website. It is not yet complete (some code missing) and still has some bugs.

But if you want to play around with it locally then the database is setup as normal in phpMyAdmin, and not in the oscommerce_data folder.

Read the 'Quick Install Guide' link below my name.

Vger

If you are refering to apache, the ver is Apache/2.0.54 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.0.54 OpenSSL/0.9.8 PHP/4.4.0 mod_autoindex_color

and I do not have a folder C:/apachefriends/xampp/htdocs/ only C:/xampp/htdocs/ The program XAMPP for Windows Version 1.4.15 installed itself.

Where is the database normally located? C:/xampp/mysql/data

Really, all I wanted to do is install the program on my computer and commence loading the products, then upload it to the server with minor alterations at first.

The User Name and Password osCommerce installer asks for is your MySQL User Name and Password, so provided you're using them it should be okay.

Permissions on all folders also need to be 755 or 777 (depends on system).

If this is a local install on your computer then you are making things unnecessarily difficult for yourself by using a Unix system like Mandrake (which I assume Mandriva is an off-shoot of) - unless of course you're running the whole computer on a Unix Operating Syystem.

Vger

Yes. My Mandriva Linux system, has been a linux only system for about 5 years now. I've found it is all I need on my desktop. It has also been gaining in reputation as a server. Upon recently acquiring Connectiva, first of many planned coming acquistions of complimentary linux companies, Mandrake Linux changed its name to Mandriva.

The chmod 777 did not work as mentioned before, HOWEVER, chmod 755 WORKED! Thanks Vger! I am now proceeding with the rest of the install procedure. :D :D :D

:wacko: dunno what happen... all my webpage can be will, but only the oscommerce, i cant even run the catalog/install and came out page is "you don't have permisssion to view....bla bla... page"

whats seem to be the problem?can anyone help?

Archived