• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Never used OScommerce before - HELP!!!

jojolam

Hi - forgive me but i am totally new to this wonderful e-commerce cart....how the hell do you change anything from company logo to text to adding texts etc.... I am totallly losted and need some guidance on how to do things/changes.....

I need an idiots guide, step by step - any offers???!!

loads of thanks

[email protected]

Check out the links in my signature

especially about designing and parse errors

Forum search

Contributions search

Documentation search (note: docs being adapted for MS3, may be different for MS2)

3 tips for better forum searching

Want to post? Read this first:

osCommerce for dummies

Topic name etiquette

Basics:

Basics for design

Right syntax to use near '-20, 20'

Cannot re-assign $this

Parse error

Os commerce is not that difficult once you understand a few thing.

If you look in your catalog file, you will see a list of files. These files are the pages that can be opened in oscommerce. These files manage the look of each individual page.

If you now look in your catalog/includes/languages file you will see more files. The english file and the others in a folder called english contain the basics of what is included on the page. So to alter the text on the index page you alter the file in your languages folder. If you want to alter your shipping details that are shown on ther shippinhg page, anter the files in your languages folder.

To change the look of the whole site, you need to alter the file catalog/stylesheet.css. here you can alter the look and feel of the whole site. Play with colours and text and see what difference it makes.

Always be sure to back up any file that you intend to alkter incase things dont work as planned.

Dont be scared of oscommerce, its not that difficult really. Some people get so fed up trying to alter pages that they give up, but it is only a very few. Be nice to people on the forums and they will always help you.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Thanks Steve,

I am a complete newbie to this so thanks for your advice! I've been searching on the net and managed to find some clues but not many that make sense to me!

Can you access these files via your Ftp - i.e. downdownload them....the question is what do you do next??

Do you edit them - YES _ but where and how??? I am stuck....may be you use a PHP text editor....but I am not sure which one to use....I am a beginner so need something that is fairly easy and simple to understand...

can you recommend anything to begin with ......

thanks

You can edit files with notepad.

I use dreamweaver. But dreamweaver (and a lot of other programs) cost a lot of money.

Maybe a better idea would be to

search google for "php editor" +free -trial

I found Crimson Editor, but I don't know if it's any good.

Forum search

Contributions search

Documentation search (note: docs being adapted for MS3, may be different for MS2)

3 tips for better forum searching

Want to post? Read this first:

osCommerce for dummies

Topic name etiquette

Basics:

Basics for design

Right syntax to use near '-20, 20'

Cannot re-assign $this

Parse error

Archived