• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PayPal Website Payments Pro or Authorize.Net

Infinity

Hello All,

I spoke with authorize.net on the phone, but they want like 200.00 to setup an account. I'm just now looking at PayPal for there CC processing services and it looks okay.

As far as integration , I see some issues with Paypal being posted, and some with Authorize.net. Is one of these better then then other? Which is easiest to implement?

What steps are needed from a software perspective to implement these choices?

Thanks for your time..

Edited by Infinity

No need to pay $200 to setup authoprize.net.

If you go with a merchant account / gateway through the same vendor, the gateway is normally free.

The bottom line between these two solutions is this...

The merchant acocunt / gateway is $10 more expensive, but give you a little more recourse against chargebacks.

PayPay Payments Pro dumps to your paypal acocunt, which is nice to have some flexibility for how and when you withdral to your back account.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Not directly, no.

It goes into your paypal account. From there you can withdrawl the money to your bank account. I'm not sure if you can schedule this or not.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Not directly, no.

It goes into your paypal account. From there you can withdrawl the money to your bank account. I'm not sure if you can schedule this or not.

Thanks SO much for your help. Not just in this topic, but your blog is also VERY informative. I'm currently talking with a specific auth.net reseller that I heard about from a small bird. :)

Hey , so these montly minimums are a little tricky. So on average, if yours is 25.00 and you don't sell over like 500.00 a month, you'll be paying into that right? I first read it as, If you don't sell 25.00 worth of product, you will be charged an additional 25.00.

Thanks SO much for your help. Not just in this topic, but your blog is also VERY informative. I'm currently talking with a specific auth.net reseller that I heard about from a small bird. :)

Hey , so these montly minimums are a little tricky. So on average, if yours is 25.00 and you don't sell over like 500.00 a month, you'll be paying into that right? I first read it as, If you don't sell 25.00 worth of product, you will be charged an additional 25.00.

If you are processing less than $1000 per month, I'd recommend jsut using the standard paypal module (with IPN), until you can build the business a little bigger. Yes, you'll lose customers using only a standard paypal account, but it will give you some time to work on you marketing, and link building. Once your are processing over $1000, you can switch over to a merchant account/gatway without having to worry about those 'minimums'.

If you are processing less than $1000 per month, I'd recommend jsut using the standard paypal module (with IPN), until you can build the business a little bigger. Yes, you'll lose customers using only a standard paypal account, but it will give you some time to work on you marketing, and link building. Once your are processing over $1000, you can switch over to  a merchant account/gatway without having to worry about those 'minimums'.

I gotcha. So this would be straight PayPal w/o and CC processing?

I gotcha. So this would be straight PayPal w/o and CC processing?

It would be straight PP processing, yes. But customers could still use a credit card to purchase.

Thie difference between a standard paypal module, and paypal's payments pro, is that with the standard module, customers are re-directed to paypal's website to actually make the payment. With the payments pro module, the customer give you their CC details right on your site.

A standard module only takes a few minutes to set up, and costs nothing up front. Unforutnatly, it does make the checkout even longer, (ungh), and it will cost you about 1/2 your customers if that's the only payment module you offer. Still, it's a fantastic way to get up and running, and give you some times to work the kinks out of your business model.

I've heard some issues with not getting returned to the store, and not getting the orders sent to you properly.

You can fix that about 99.9% of the time by giving paypal a 'Return URL' of your checkout_process.php file.

In order to make it 100%, you'll need to install the paypal IPN module.

You can fix that about 99.9% of the time by giving paypal a 'Return URL' of your checkout_process.php file.

In order to make it 100%, you'll need to install the paypal IPN module.

aiiight, tite. Will do. So i'm looking at getting "PayPal Website Payments Standard" from the paypal site , correct? Thats what the PayPal IPN module uses?

And the contrib is; "osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v1.0 For 2.2MS2"

It would be straight PP processing, yes. But customers could still use a credit card to purchase.

Thie difference between a standard paypal module, and paypal's payments pro, is that with the standard module, customers are re-directed to paypal's website to actually make the payment. With the payments pro module, the customer give you their CC details right on your site.

A standard module only takes a few minutes to set up, and costs nothing up front. Unforutnatly, it does make the checkout even longer, (ungh), and it will cost you about 1/2 your customers if that's the only payment module you offer. Still, it's a fantastic way to get up and running, and give you some times to work the kinks out of your business model.

Great info. I gotit. Thanks!