• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

web host not supporting SSL?

liner66

Hello everyone I'm Caroline. I am very new to this so please be kind. :rolleyes:

I am setting up an online craft store via Lycos. I've come to install SSL and obtain certificate from them and they say that they do not support SSL but payments will be secure anyway if customers pay through Paypal.

However, I want customer details to be secure too, and I want customers to see that the site is secure with the certificate logo.

Is there a way round this? I have only been with Lycos for a short time and would not be able to move hosts as I am contracted with Lycos for a length of time.

Can anyone please advise me on this?? Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance....

Caroline

Hello everyone I'm Caroline.  I am very new to this so please be kind. :rolleyes:

I am setting up an online craft store via Lycos.  I've come to install SSL and obtain certificate from them and they say that they do not support SSL but payments will be secure anyway if customers pay through Paypal.

However, I want customer details to be secure too, and I want customers to see that the site is secure with the certificate logo.

Is there a way round this?  I have only been with Lycos for a short time and would not be able to move hosts as I am contracted with Lycos for a length of time.

Can anyone please advise me on this??  Any help would be appreciated.  Many thanks in advance....

Caroline

hello caroline,

dont know if i can help but im sure paypal have theirt own SSL certified site , so when you go from your checkout to their pay site it will be using their secure https site , so you wont need to be SSL, please i hope someone verifies this as im just a newbie.

Also i know their are hosting sites out their that will take up the rest of your hosting account, as payment for what is left so you wouldnt loose a lot of money if any, and transfer you as well, cant remember the sites but if you google for the top 10 websites im sure you will find one.

having a site that does support SSL , shared or dedicated is definately an advantage, but only if you are going to have a Merchant account that allows payment through Visa, Mastercard ect!

hope that might help.

titch

moving to a new host is fairly straight forward, backup your files and database on one then restore to the new host server.

one thing, you get what you pay for. some of the low cost hosts out there, your site bogs down on, so there is always the bait and switch . . .

and yes you are correct about protecting personal info even tho you will be using paypal.

moving to a new host is fairly straight forward, backup your files and database on one then restore to the new host server.

one thing, you get what you pay for.  some of the low cost hosts out there, your site bogs down on, so there is always the bait and switch .  . .

and yes  you are correct about protecting personal info even tho you will be using paypal.

Is there an easy/quick way to backup the files and database?

You can use the osCommerce admin panel --> Tools --> Backup and elect to download a backup of your database to your own computer. Then just FTP to your website and download all folders and files. That's as easy as it gets I'm afraid.

Vger

Archived