• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Jewelry Store (far from stock)

mwgsr

This is a site that i have been building for a customer and would like to see what people think of it....mostly because i'm bored. :-"

It is about 90% complete. I still have to make some images, install a script and change a few small things here and there. Along the way i tryed to remove alot of tables in this site and position it using CSS.

Homepage:

Jewelry Store

To view products go here:

Jewelry Store - View Products

Enjoy!

I am not as picky as some who will visit, don't do spellcheck and so on but I have to say I love the site. The layout is well done. Colors work together. Very nice. :)

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

eBay and Paypal logos should never be displayed for luxury items IMO. Take that as you wish, but I generally sell large ticket items online and I would never want to give such a amature impression.

My advice comes in two flavors- Pick the one that won't offend you.

Hard and Cynical: How to Make a Horrible osCommerce Site

Warm and Fuzzy: How to Make an Awesome osCommerce Site

Very slow loading. I almost gave up. Pretty site, though. I'd agree with the previous poster about the Ebay and Paypal logos though. For most products, okay, whatever. High-ticket jewelry? I want the utmost of professionalism.

Subcategories are awkwardly laid out. The focus should be the categories, not an irrelevant picture. I'd get a picture for each category and use the default osCommerce layout.

...I hate empty categories.

Keyword pumping at the bottom looks unprofessional.

Your products page is completely broken in Firefox.

Always BACK UP your files and your database before making any changes. Before asking questions, check out the Knowledge Base. Check out the contributions to see if your problem's solved there. Search the forums.

Useful threads: Store Speed Optimization How to make a horrible shop Basics for design change How to search the forums

Useful contributions: Easypopulate Fast, Easy Checkout Header Tag Controller

Yah the ebay stuff is customer request cant do much about that. Same thing with the category layout.

Products page works fine in firefox. I tested in all browsers.

Load time is a little higher then I usually design for, but the customer wants images instead of text on the homepage, again not my idea.

Oh, it's because I have javascript and/or flash disabled by default. Sorry, I forgot the other major reason pages break for me. Here's a screenshot of the resulting page. You may want to fix that.

Always BACK UP your files and your database before making any changes. Before asking questions, check out the Knowledge Base. Check out the contributions to see if your problem's solved there. Search the forums.

Useful threads: Store Speed Optimization How to make a horrible shop Basics for design change How to search the forums

Useful contributions: Easypopulate Fast, Easy Checkout Header Tag Controller

• 8 months later...

well it has all the elements of stock.... but nice use of colour

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

Archived