• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New Installation

I installed a copy of Storefront6 recently since I have had a little experience with FrontPage and it was compatible with my Website that I had already setup. After some frustrating wasted time, I realised that this package seemed more suited to the American market and not the Australian market.

I spent some lengthy time browsing through the developed Storefront sites, I was unable to locate anything developed for the Australian using Storefront but did come across osCommerce.

Much to my pleasant surprise I found quite a number of Australian sites using this package so I downloaded the program. I have had a look at it and also browsed through the forum which I have to say has a wealth of knowledge contained within however, I was unable to located enough information for what I feel I need to get started and load up the database.

I am sure there are other people out there in a similar situation could someone assist me please to get started with this package.

I have Windows XP Pro, the Microsoft Office Pro Suite including FrontPage. For a starter, what programs can I download that are necessary to get me started. I would like to firstly, set up the osCommerce program on my computer using http://localhost/MyStore_name and then when it is complete and tested, upload the store to my ISP.

I can make an empty web site using FrontPage, that?s fine (I think). What is next, do I copy and paste the required files to the website with Explorer? How do I set the permissions with what I have or do I have to download a copy of CuteFTP 5.0 XP for example as I have found on a site demonstrating the installation etc.

I have had no experience with PHP but I am willing to give it a go. I do not at this time intend to get into programming as such but may require to edit files if necessary to suit, I am sure this forum can provide me with some help there. If what I am looking for is already here on the forum, I would like to be pointed to that topic as I have not as yet browsed through everything.

I am hoping the procedures can be kept simple and I would naturally appreciate someone?s assistance please. My e-mail address is [email protected] for anyone who wishes to contact me direct. Thank you kindly.

You are way off beam here. This is not a Frontpage kind of site.

Unless you know how to setup your PC to act as a local host then you should stick to just working on the actual site on your ISP.

You need some ftp software.

You need to use an editor that can edit php files. I am not sure about Fronpage but notepad will do.

There are lots of things you need to do:

1. modify your look

2. install Australian shipping

3. decide your payment modules and maybe install Bank Transfer and BPAY

4. set up GST

It is not an easy path for a beginner. Try the look first - that will get you used to everything.

And now start reading the forum.

good luck

Kym

Thank you for your comments Kym, yes I do agree that FP is different but I am willing to give this one a go. As requested, I wanted to know what necessary tools are required to do this and yes, this forum would provide plenty of info.

Best Regards

Hi Barry

I'm based in Melbourne and has just finished my site using oscommerce. I have used Frontpage for the text editing of the site as it's simply a matter of writing the text in the "normal" tab and pasting into the site the "html" tab. I have found this works fine for what I want to do when editing text. However you can't create your whole site in Frontpage and paste it into oscommerce. To modify the site is actually quite easy through the oscommerce admin panel once you understand how it works and I imagine that's its a whole lot easier to do it that way then to try and use Frontpage and to be honest I have no idea how you'd go about doing it in Frontpage. My suggestion is to get your site installed and access the admin panel and spend some time looking through it and start making some small changes. Once you've done that you'll be able to see how it works and then be able to progress to more difficult changes.

Selena

Selena, thankyou for your reply and it is great to be able to communicate in real time. There seems to be some confusion that I wanted to use FP. This is not quite true, I have been using FP in the past and have a site already up. Now I want to update my site and use the osCommerce package.

I will probably remove some of the existing site but, I would like to (re)create the site with osCommerce being an ecommerce package. What I was looking for was :- to be able to create the site on my local computer so I could get into the flow if you like. To do this, what are the tools required to create http://localhost/mystore for example.

I downloaded IBserver ver 1 so now I have an Apache server, I downloaded CuteFPT Pro 7 (have to pay for it yet) and that's pretty cool. The trouble is, if I create the store on my ISP, I only have dial up access and things can get pretty slow. I am new at PhP but I am sure I will get there, I used to programme in Clipper once upon a time so I have a general idea about code.

By the way, I am located 40 ks west Brisbane. Did you set up your store on your computer or did you upload direct to your ISP and working on it there?

Barry

Hi Barry

I actually went through an host called Smarty Host, they installed the oscommerce addon to the the back of my site and then I was able to just go in and make all the changes and add images etc using the admin panel in a secure area of my sites backend. Once I was finished I just loaded a front page using Go Live and presto it was done.

Selena

Okay, let's clear up a few misconceptions. You DO NOT use the osCommerce File Manager to edit files once you have your osCommerce site installed.

To install osCommerce locally on your computer download XAMPP, an all-in-one package with PHP. Apache, MY SQL, phpMyAdmin, Open SSL, Pear, Mail Server, File Zilla etc. It's a one-click install and you'll find it here: http://www.apachefriends.org/en

Once you've installed XAMPP read my Quick Install Guide - link below my name.

You do not use FrontPage at all, not even to edit files. Files must be edited using a plain text editor and FrontPage, Word and WordPad are not plain text editors. Download and install a good free plain text editor like Text Pad.

Vger

Thankyou Kym, I downloaded the file and I am looking forward to getting into it, I haven't gone past the installation yet, I think there are some permission issues to overcome and it would not confirm the second part of the database existance. For that matter, I couldn't find the database, except the one in the install folder it was suppose to be importing from.

Vger, thank you too, I downloaded the xampp suite and that is working, I managed to get the osCommerce package to to work (not the Aussie version) but haven't been been able to get into the administration side as yet but I will have another go tomorrow. I am pretty happy about this so far and appreciate the help you both have provided. It looks pretty flash doesn't it?

Thanks again, Regards Barry

Vger,

If I download that onto my computer and then install ms2, will i be able to add different contributions to them and test them out?

Thanks, Tony

The reason you can't access 'admin' is because XAMPP by default uses ph5, but it also comes bundled with php4. So you can do one of two things:

1. In admin/includes/classes/upload.php on line 31 edit $this = null; to read unset($this);

2. Go to http://localhost and to your XAMPP control panel, once there stop the Apache server, then click on the php_switch.bat link and enter 4 on the terminal screen that comes up. This will switch XAMPP over to using php4.

Vger

Thankyou Kym, I downloaded the file and I am looking forward to getting into it, I haven't gone past the installation yet, I think there are some permission issues to overcome and it would not confirm the second part of the database existance. For that matter, I couldn't find the database, except the one in the install folder it was suppose to be importing from.

Vger, thank you too, I downloaded the xampp suite and that is working, I managed to get the osCommerce package to to work (not the Aussie version) but haven't been been able to get into the administration side as yet but I will have another go tomorrow. I am pretty happy about this so far and appreciate the help you both have provided. It looks pretty flash doesn't it?

Thanks again, Regards Barry

Archived