• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

dreamweaver or frontpage or ??

nat2zxd

Dreamweaver for a graphical editor or UltraEdit for a text editor.

Frontpage is evil.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

thx - that's what i thought - i will purchase dreamweaver.

Before you do, read the article in Microsoft Knowledge Base about how to use FrontPage for ecommerce and PHP sites: go to article

Here's a brief summary of what has to be done to PHP enable FrontPage:

"You can use PHP to build sophisticated and complex Web applications and external and internal business channels, such as e-commerce sites ...

if you reconfigure certain settings, FrontPage and PHP can work together.

When you use PHP with FrontPage, you create the overall Web page design and insert any fixed elements by using Design view ... You can then write the HTML code that contains the variable portion of each PHP response in Code view.

Before you can use PHP with FrontPage, you must make the following changes to settings in FrontPage:

Disable features that require the FrontPage Server Extensions:

On the Tools menu, click Page Options, and then click the Authoring tab.

Under FrontPage and SharePoint technologies, clear the SharePoint Services and Browse-time Web Components check boxes.

Disable features that create ASP or ASP.NET code:

On the Tools menu, click Page Options, and then click the Authoring tab.

Under Browsers, clear the Active Server Pages check box.

Enable and use ASP-style <% %> code delimiters:

Open the php.ini file on the Web server, and set asp_tags="1".

Use ASP-like <% and %> tags instead of the <? php?> tags. This stops FrontPage from reformatting your PHP code. (As an alternative, you can use <script language="php"> and </script> tags instead of <? php?> tags.)

Configure PHP file extensions to open in Design view:

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Configure Editors tab.

In the Extensions list, locate and select the file extension that you want to use.

In the Editors list, select FrontPage (Open as HTML).

Click Make Default.

Keep in mind, that becuase of the dynamic nature of the index.php in osC, you're note going to be able to make straight edits using a wysiwyg design editor. Editing of any php has to be done in text mode, and nearly all of the html on the index.php page is generated from php.

Bottom line answer is, you have to edit in text. You can use the gui's as a guide, but the edits have to be made in text mode only.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Archived