• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Really random programs that you find useful

Gil_e_n

What program that strikes you as kind of random helps you most in doing the website? Not your standard php editor or ftp editor. For me, it's Baregrep. I keep multiple backups of my website on my computer, and baregrep lets me go, say, to english.php and find that "Displaying (number) of products (out of (number))" is defined as TEXT_DISPLAY_NUMBER_OF_PRODUCTS. I can then use Baregrep to search my backups to find out what files and what line of that file has defined. I can then go in to that file and do whatever I wanted to change about that. It was extremely handy when I was first learning osCommerce and didn't have any idea where 90% of the files were.

Winmerge comes in a damn close second place though.

Always BACK UP your files and your database before making any changes. Before asking questions, check out the Knowledge Base. Check out the contributions to see if your problem's solved there. Search the forums.

Useful threads: Store Speed Optimization How to make a horrible shop Basics for design change How to search the forums

Useful contributions: Easypopulate Fast, Easy Checkout Header Tag Controller

WinHTTrack to spider manufacturer websites at night ...

Several of our brands don't provide any CDs with images, they just say, go get them on the website ...

Some provide spreadsheets with clickable links to the specific products images ... but that I find really tedious. So on a quiet weekend night, you find my pc spidering sites for the latest and greatest images ...

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

I think beyond compare is great, I've used it for so many things and when you're as disorganised as me it's good for syncronising your site with your dav site and backups without ftp'ing the whole site. Great for installing contribs and even better for creating them (It's easy to forget that line you added in something.php) my free trial has run out though so if you know of any free text compare tools let me know. I found a good one but it doesn't support ftp. Though frankly I think BC is worth the 30 bucks (and more probably) but osc gets you into the free software mindset. :D

Light, in the absence of eyes, illuminates nothing.

Notepad is my best friend :)

No but really, dreamweaver helps me count php lines, and upload faster than FTP through IE so I like it.

PFE32 File Viewer and Editor, great for working with almost any files, has an automatic file backup when a file is changed, find and fing/replace, line numbers, dos prompt and other goodies.

Works just fine on WIN XP Pro SP2 and I have been using it since WIN 95.

Installed Contributions: CCGV, Close Popup, Dynamic Meta Tags, Easy Populate, Froogle Data Feeder, Google Position, Infobox Header Entire Row, Live Support for OSC, PayPal Seal with CC images, Report_m Sales, Shop by Price Revised, SQL Updater, Who's Online Enhancement, Footer, GNA EP Assistant and still going.

Archived