• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

My Automotive Parts Store

First off, I'm still a complete n00b at this program - but I'm learning slowly with the help of the community and I appreciate everyones help throughout the process. I think I have a long ways to go - still trying to do the more nifty advanced stuff - but so far I'm liking the look somewhat.

Input is very appreciated, be honest so I can make it better!

http://www.blacksheepperformance.net/catalog

Dude, I like your site. You managed to keep a lot of the stock osCommerce look without making it look osCommerce. If that makes any sense. Just a few things I noticed.

For one, your header's still osCommerce rather than Blacksheep Performance or something.

Secondly, I noticed a fair amount of white pixels around your transparent gifs. Take your paypal logo and your BMW logo for example. That have that little white "I was careless when turning this into a transparent gif and didn't notice that there were still some white pixels around the edge" look. Your BMW logo is also very low quality.

On your product info pages, the green arrow in the product notification and the review box doesn't match the rest of your site.

Your left column extends just a little beyond your header in Firefox. More if I increase the font size. (Dammit, why does no one design sites so that I can increase the font size? Won't someone think of us poor slobs too damn lazy to keep up with our rapidly worsening prescription? :P ) I'd make the picture on your front page clickable. If I were to click on Turbochargers, for example, I'd expect to get turbochargers.

I assume you're going to actually fill up your categories before you open your site. I wouldn't leave any empty categories when you open - it's incredibly irritating to just get the result "this category is empty".

I'd change your product review stars to red. The blue doesn't go with your site. I'd look into streamlining your checkout process. There's lots of options, and I dislike the stock osc checkout process.

But most of that stuff's pretty nitpicky. Overall, I like it.

Always BACK UP your files and your database before making any changes. Before asking questions, check out the Knowledge Base. Check out the contributions to see if your problem's solved there. Search the forums.

Useful threads: Store Speed Optimization How to make a horrible shop Basics for design change How to search the forums

Useful contributions: Easypopulate Fast, Easy Checkout Header Tag Controller

Thank you for the review, as we speak I'm making tons of changes, some of which you suggested - most of which I agree with.

I'm also doing a more in depth category setup now, Car manufacturer > car make > car year/model > part categories > products. Its more efficient this way.

I'll be sure to post back up when I've made more changes and it looks better - thanks man.

Red stars and the green arrow boxes are now red.

I'll work on the low quality gif's now, as well as the rest of the product navigation.

First impression: this site is busy as all hell. There are just too many things to look at. Do you have any products loaded yet? All I found was empty categories, and there is nothing that I hate more than empty categories. You'll definitly want to remove any empty categories before you go live. I think that your breadcrumb font could be a bit smaller. I would get rid of the default osCommerce welcome text and replace it with something a bit more personal.

Anyway, not a bad start, but it certainly needs some work.

osCommerce is a great piece of software with wonderful contributions.

Spend some time in the contribution area. There are a lot of gems there.

First impression:  this site is busy as all hell.  There are just too many things to look at.  Do you have any products loaded yet?  All I found was empty categories, and there is nothing that I hate more than empty categories.  You'll definitly want to remove any empty categories before you go live.  I think that your breadcrumb font could be a bit smaller.  I would get rid of the default osCommerce welcome text and replace it with something a bit more personal.

Anyway, not a bad start, but it certainly needs some work.

Ya, I do agree that' it's busy, I guess I'm scared to remove most of the info boxes though because I haven't yet mastered design within the program.

Categories, there are over 600 products uploaded - keep in mind with this type of site there are over 75,000 products for me to list - much more than almost anyone else on this site. It will take quite a while :)

I did change the osCommerce welcome text, I guess I could change it a bit more though.

Thanks!

Archived