• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Site Config

hbcloud

Can anyone tell me why using "www" in front of the url would yield different results in google vs. not using it. I'm on a shared server and I would imagine its something that I configured wrong or maybe even when I set up the site. I just cant find a reason for it.

:blink:

yes search engines treat pages with www/without as different domains. By setting up your htaccess to redirect everything to www yields the desirable results.

Because if you think about it consider a huge host like yahoo or msn, now its not gonna be the same exposure for say mypersonalhomesite.yahoo.com vs www.yahoo.com

yes search engines treat pages with www/without as different domains. By setting up your htaccess to redirect everything to www yields the desirable results.

Because if you think about it consider a huge host like yahoo or msn, now its not gonna be the same exposure for say mypersonalhomesite.yahoo.com vs www.yahoo.com

Can you tell me how I need to set the redirect in the file?

Here is an example but you need to verify (with your host) different hosts have slightly different settings.

# Force a leading www
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.%{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [R=301,L]

Here is an example but you need to verify (with your host) different hosts have slightly different settings.

# Force a leading www
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.%{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [R=301,L]

I tried that, the htaccess file has nothign but the info you sent. Still nothing. Its weird, some of the links on my site go to www.mysite.com/whatever and others point to mysite.com/whatever

was hoping it would had something. Because you need this to enable the rewrite engine before the previous code

# Start Engine
RewriteEngine On 
RewriteBase /

Archived