• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

CHMOD/ database/ SSL/ paypal questions

erikwoods

Alright so I'm a newbie to this... my problems may or may not be related to osCommerce.

I think it's related to the server that my client is using.

file permissions problem

Anyhoo- I connect to the site via FTP (I'm using FileZilla) and I try to CHMOD the dirs and files that need to be changed but if I go back to see what the permissions are it still says 000. And if I look at the permissions for all the other files on the site they are 000. They never change from 000 to anything no matter what I try.

I've been frustrated with not being able to install the osCommerce thing for a few days and I never realized it might be caused by this.

database problem

Another question I have is about the database on my server. Databases are not my forte but I'm not completely illiterate.

The hosting service my client is using has a strange control panel and as far as I know I can only create a database- it doesn't allow me to set a username and password for it. Is this something I need to contact the hosting company about or is there another way around this?

question about SSL

One more question- it's about the quick install guide by Vger... he said do not enable SSL. Is this an option on the osCommerce installation or is he talking about not enabling SSL for the domain that is using the osCommerce application?

Sidebar question: Currently I have a subdomain (http://estore.mydomain.com) enabled with SSL and it's going to point to http://mydomain.com/catalog/. I assume this would work, right? The catalog directory is uploaded to http://mydomain.com/catalog/.

paypal website payments pro question

My client wants to use Paypal's new website payments pro merchant tool. Does osCommerce work with this tool? I'm just now learning about this stuff so I really have no idea.

If it doesn't, can someone recommend another free shopping cart program that does integrate with this particular paypal merchant tool?

I am a complete newbie to shopping carts (a little experience with paypal carts but not much) so please don't shoot me down completely. I'm a graphic/web designer and newbie programmer- so this is pretty new to me.

This is my last hope, as none of my designer friends knew how to help me in my situation... and I REALLY need to get this thing working because I'm running out of options.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can answer at least one of my questions. I really appreciate it.

One more question- it's about the quick install guide by Vger... he said do not enable SSL

Vger - SHE says, not to tick the box to enable ssl during the install procedure of your osCommerce website. If you have the use of a shared ssl then you can enable it later.

as far as I know I can only create a database

You create the database from your web hosting control panel. Your mysql User Name and password should have been given to you by your web hosting company. It may be the same as for accessing your web hosting control panel - but that's not guaranteed.

Your permissions are all 000? The server is not set up correctly. You didn't host with one of those 'I'm geek - have server' outfits did you?

Vger

Sorry- I didn't know you were a SHE. my mistake.

I guess I'll just have to ask about the database thing by calling them.

The hosting company for the site I'm developing was NOT something I suggested for my client. He decided it would be a nice idea to get the hosting before he hired a web designer, I guess. So the hosting was chosen by the client. Go figure.

By the way- it's 1and1.com for the hosting. They look like they're pretty professional- professional enough to at least be smart enough to set the server up correctly. Does that mean I have to ask them about changing permissions, too?

Do you know anything about the PayPal question I had?

Thanks for your response.

Anyone else feel free to help too ;-) Much appreciated.

Sorry, I haven't used Pay Pal Pro. There is an osCommerce contribution for it and an active thread in the Contribution Support Forum - so best take a look there.

For help on using SSL, either full or shared, with 1and1 do a search for "1and1", with the double quotes, in the foums and you'll get lots of hits. You have to employ a workaround to get ssl to function with their setup.

Vger

I guess I'm pretty much screwed then, eh? Everybody and everyplace I try to get help for this I'm unsuccessful.

Let's take the problems one at a time.

1) Are you still having chmod problems? Don't blame it on the server. Are you coming in on the primary ftp account?

2) Still having trouble with ssl?

Read this:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...23entry672623

3) The database name & password are assigned by the system. You can change the password.

Get that stuff working right and someone else can help you with PayPal. I don't use it.

Local: Mac OS X 10.5.8 - Apache 2.2/php 5.3.0/MySQL 5.4.10 • Web Servers: Linux

Tools: BBEdit, Coda, Versions (Subversion), Sequel Pro (db management)

I am still having CHMOD problems. I am connecting by primary account via ftp.

I don't have any problems with SSL yet because I haven't even been able to install the cart yet. But now that you tell me I need to do a workaround for it to work with 1and1 hosting maybe I'll tell my client to switch hosts. So are you telling me that SSL doesn't work as easily as I'd like to with 1and1 hosting? I have to do something extra? Man my client picked a crappy hosting service.

How do I figure out what the database U/N and P/W are?

If you go to this webpage it tells you the features that you need to enable in the cart program for the paypal thing to work. I don't completely understand it yet but it looks like as long as osCommerce supports Direct Payment API and Express Checkout then I am ok.

Do you know if osCommerce supports those features?

Is this a Windows server or Linux? You shouldn't be having any problems with chmod if it's Linux, no one else does.

The ssl differences are trivial.

Local: Mac OS X 10.5.8 - Apache 2.2/php 5.3.0/MySQL 5.4.10 • Web Servers: Linux

Tools: BBEdit, Coda, Versions (Subversion), Sequel Pro (db management)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived