• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Questions about setting up an inventory.

deportu

Greetings, my name is Felix and I have downloaded osCommerce in order to extend my partner's business (a clothing store) to a wider audience. However I found a few quirks to this program... some may remember me because I have asked questions earlier, but I never really got around to much so I'm going to be more precise this time.

In a nutshell, the store wll have items that range from single pieces to sets. I have no problem with adding items to the list, but here is where it gets a bit complicated.

If at all possible, I need the inventory number to be customizable, so I can give every item the inventory number we have in the store.

Also, how would I go about setting each item up to be sold at the size the person wants (Small - XXLarge) and keeping the inventory count individual for each?

And lastly, is there anyway to do this more easily than to have to write down each item individually and upload its picture? Is there a more automatic way?

Thanks in advance.

Felix

I believe the QTPro contrib can give you the ability to track inventory by sizes. As for the other two requirements, when I was setting up our store, I got fed up with the stock setup for inputting products and attributes. I took the time to work out how the database entries relate to each other, and how they work in displaying products. I figured out the MYSQL needed to enter the data straight into the db, then worked out how to write large batches of commands using a spreadsheet (this was great for breaking the commands up into static and dynamic parts, and autoenumerating things like product ids). This gives me the ability to add a lot of products quickly, and set up their attributes too. If you did this sort of thing, you could set the products up so that their product ids are the product numbers you use in your store. It is harder at first (steep learning curve), but easier once you get how to do it! ;)

I believe the QTPro contrib can give you the ability to track inventory by sizes.
Where would I get this? In the contributions? What's the full name?

As for the other two requirements, when I was setting up our store, I got fed up with the stock setup for inputting products and attributes.  I took the time to work out how the database entries relate to each other, and how they work in displaying products.  I figured out the MYSQL needed to enter the data straight into the db, then worked out how to write large batches of commands using a spreadsheet (this was great for breaking the commands up into static and dynamic parts, and autoenumerating things like product ids).  This gives me the ability to add a lot of products quickly, and set up their attributes too.  If you did this sort of thing, you could set the products up so that their product ids are the product numbers you use in your store.  It is harder at first (steep learning curve), but easier once you get how to do it!  ;)
Any tutorials I could use? I have no experience handling MySQL directly. How would I get started? :huh:

I appreciate your help up to now, thanks for the reply, it cleared up some doubts (even though it created others but at least I know where I'm headed now, ya know?). :)

I installed phpmyadmin so I could look directly at the db and everything in it. I figured out which tables were involved, and how, and the information needed (and exactly how it would vary or not). I visited mysql.com and read up on the commands and the syntax of the commands. I have phpmydev on my computer so I can run php and mysql locally, and even run a test shop on my home pc, and play around working out exactly how to a)write the commands in the first place, then b0figure out how to break the commands into pieces that can be put in the cells of a spreadsheet and be copied or manipulated as needed. Sorry I'm not being more specific right now, I'm a bit pressed for time, I had a 16 hour workday and really need to get some sleep! I think I wrote a fairly detailed description of my process last spring or winter. I'll try to remember to look for it next time I log on. I find often times when I get answers to my questions, they aren't always what I expected, and they usually bring a whole new batch of questions with them! ;)

Jeremy

QTPro is the full name.

I believe the contribution easypopulate does what you are talking about Jeremy, doesn't it? With using a spread sheet to enter products in batches.. and edit them I think.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

I'm not sure about easy populate, when I tried it, it didn't work well for me. I must qualify that though, I was not terribly experienced so it was my fault most likely! That said, I found that I was able to develop a much deeper and better understanding of how osc and its component parts worked by working out my method for the attributes. Now I could probably get easypopulate to work, since I know what it's trying to do!

Jeremy

Archived