• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Dramatically Increase Search Speed

mattmcb

I finally figured out what was bogging down my database when searching for products. I had to post this. I have about 220,000 active products in my store seekshopping.com... parse time is at the bottom if anyone wants to checkout the performance.

I have optimized so many queries and continue to monitor and do so. Whe I started, my search queries were about 20-40 seconds... that's a life time on the net. Including all the variables in the search url with help decrease query speed by about 50%...

keywords=wars&search_in_description=1&categories_id=&inc_subcat=1&medium=&pfrom=&pto=&dfrom=&dto=

Now I'm down to about 11 or 12 seconds for a search which is still not good enough. 6 seconds should be the maximum. Just remove products_model from the search string. Here is the code to change in advanced_search_result.php...

Comment this out:
//$where_str .= "(pd.products_name like '%" . tep_db_input($keyword) . "%' or p.products_model like '%" . tep_db_input($keyword) . "%'";

Simply change to this:
$where_str .= "(pd.products_name like '%" . tep_db_input($keyword) . "%'";

I hope this helps someone out. My queries are running under half a second and my search page parses in about 2 seconds. That's a 1500% imporvement.

You could look at using an index on the products table so you still have the ability to search on the model as well... that's what I have done.

The model was indexed... the entire time. From 40 seconds all the way down to less then a second. I have no need to search the model.

Well actually the indexing doesn't do a thing due to the structure of the query (on second look).

The database only uses an index on equality matching. This is my experience from the Oracle database so I am expecting MySQL would be the same, it would have to be. Correct me if I am wrong someone!

I have 4000 products on my site and I also have it searching by model and it's very fast but I guess having over 200k products means a lot more work for the database to do.

In saying that I doubt many people would be in a position where they have 200k+ products?

As a test I ran explain plans on these:

EXPLAIN SELECT *

FROM `products_description`

WHERE products_name = 'test'

table type possible_keys key key_len ref rows Extra

products_description ref products_name products_name 255 const 1 Using where

EXPLAIN SELECT *

WHERE products_name

LIKE '%test%'

table type possible_keys key key_len ref rows Extra

products_description ALL NULL NULL NULL NULL 3024 Using where

So yes NO index is used...

Dan

Well actually the indexing doesn't do a thing due to the structure of the query (on second look).

The database only uses an index on equality matching. This is my experience from the Oracle database so I am expecting MySQL would be the same, it would have to be. Correct me if I am wrong someone!

I have 4000 products on my site and I also have it searching by model and it's very fast but I guess having over 200k products means a lot more work for the database to do.

In saying that I doubt many people would be in a position where they have 200k+ products?

As a test I ran explain plans on these:

EXPLAIN SELECT *

WHERE products_name = 'test'

table  type  possible_keys  key  key_len  ref  rows  Extra 

products_description ref products_name products_name 255 const 1 Using where

EXPLAIN SELECT *

WHERE products_name

LIKE '%test%'

table  type  possible_keys  key  key_len  ref  rows  Extra 

products_description ALL NULL NULL NULL NULL 3024 Using where

So yes NO index is used...

it will only use an index if using like 'test%'

Treasurer MFC

• 1 year later...

Good stuff! I have 115,000 products and the search was dragging. I took out the manufacturer string and the model and it made a huge improvement.

How is your product listing speed, my categories load fast, but when i click on the category to display the products, the product listing is a tad bit slow, not terrible by any means, but not up to par with the rest of the site.

Archived