• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Please help with shipping module

HipRocSoul

Help!? :(

I DO want to us the UPS shipping module, but I DO NOT want the customer to see a value or have the value added to the total.

I won't have accurate shipping costs until the items have been packaged and weighed, and will adjust the orders accordingly.

So I just need the customer to be able to select from UPS a method (overnight, ground, etc.) and proceed with the checkout?

Any suggestions?

Thanks a million!

And if your customers pay by credit card realtime, then doesn't this mean that they've paid for the products, then they are packaged and weighed etc, and an extra charge is needed.

And although you'll find a great contribution that you can install that allows you to edit an order, including amending shipping, it doesn't generate a credit card surcharge transaction. Payment refunds or surcharges are left to the store owner to process manually.

You/osC/The store owner can't charge them extra without their knowledge (or at least that wouldn't be legal in the UK) so practically the store owner has to ring them to agree a further credit card payment done over the phone with the changes updated on osC.

I'd suggest a lot of businesses approximate and/or round up a bit on shipping estimation so that, although they lose on some orders and gain on others, they close to breakeven in the longterm and/or build this into their pricing strategy

M-Pro

Thanks for the advice and I see what your getting at, but since the credit cards transactions are not live, then the system should work ok.

Since its a whole sale site, the weight will vary with every order. I have installed the order edit contribution and it works perfectly for adding the shipping once it's been figured and we simply notify the customer via email of the final shipping cost, before we charge their credit card.

Since this is a wholesale system most of my customers are familiar with our billing process and seem to be satisfied. I will however consider adding in the est. weights.

Still need a way get shipping down to $0 until configured, yet letting the customer specify their delivery preference. Any other ideas?

thanks in advance...:)

if you look the ups.php the cost is in the quote function

$methods[] = array('id' => $type,
                            'title' => $this->types[$type],
                            'cost' => ($cost + MODULE_SHIPPING_UPS_HANDLING) * $shipping_num_boxes);

for the different options. just pass zero to the cost element of the array.

if you look the ups.php the cost is in the quote function

? ? ? ? ?$methods[] = array('id' => $type,
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 'title' => $this->types[$type],
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 'cost' => ($cost + MODULE_SHIPPING_UPS_HANDLING) * $shipping_num_boxes);

for the different options. just pass zero to the cost element of the array.

and when displaying it, I would change a zero quote to show something like "to be calculated when packaging"

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

Archived